Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2005-11-12, 03:18 AM   #16
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

Thanks for posting those lyrics Mike. The first time I heard that song performed--by Hardin Davis of Salt Lake City--it brought tears to my eyes. And still does, every time.

This was always a day I'd call my favorite veteran--my Dad--to thank him for risking his life in Europe on D-Day and after, to help end the madness that was World War II. Wish he was still here to answer the phone.
Old 2005-11-12, 09:08 AM   #17
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathwood
No, I didn't mean Greg's post. I did read that. I meant the negative rep I got. Apparantly I'm a stupid liberal. (Sob)
That's disappointing in what should be a friendly forum. Most people who post here are from western democracies where free speech is treasured. Indeed, that's part of what we believe WW2 was fought for. However, for many people, free speech is two things: their right to say what they think, and their right to say they are offended by what you think!

There should be no place for direct personal insults or attacks in a forum like this.

I'm a liberal (small L) and I interpret the term as meaning a person who is prepared to respect the rights of other people to hold different opinions, and who regards this diversity as a good thing. It goes with this that a liberal is prepared to consider ideas on their merits rather than on the basis of dogma, tradition, class background etc. Received wisdom is not always right - and it's not always wrong.

There are too many people in this world who are full of ideas about what other people should do or should think.
Old 2005-11-12, 01:58 PM   #18
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
My father enlisted in the Army during WWII interrupting his college education. He wanted, in his own slightly tongue and cheek words, to kill Japs and Krauts. After being shipped to the Philippines he quickly found out that Japs were just people, too.

He spoke of his Army days only in terms of the education in humanity they gave him. He never asked for nor wanted thanks for his service. When he was alive I had many reasons to thank and love my dad, but his service in the military was only a small one among them.

Men and women do heroic things every day. Civil rights marchers, abolitionists, suffragists, labor organizers, and yes, conscientious objectors and peaceniks, have risked much, sacrificed much, and faced prison, violence and death to win freedoms. I frankly, don't feel they are any less deserving of honor than those who go to war. Yet in my opinion the honoring of war veterans has become a religion to some and only the great leaders among those others are ever honored.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine

Last edited by JJuggle; 2005-11-12 at 01:58 PM.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-12, 10:34 PM   #19
Jethro
Bill Hugo

Send a message via AIM to Jethro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuggle
He spoke of his Army days only in terms of the education in humanity they gave him. He never asked for nor wanted thanks for his service. When he was alive I had many reasons to thank and love my dad, but his service in the military was only a small one among them..
I can relate to this. My Dad also served in WWII. He made a habit of never speaking of it. Until I was old enough to figure out that he didn't want to talk about it, I would pester him with questions about the war. He would only speak of the mundane things--the food, the planes, the entertainment that was sometimes brought in. The rest of it--the war itself--apparently haunted him in some way that made him unwilling to speak of it.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? ~Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Jethro; 2005-11-12 at 10:34 PM.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, veterans