Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-03-28, 08:35 PM   #16
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 51
Posts: 274
Nice unibag you've got!
Good luck with your shuttle plan...

Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 09:03 PM   #17
one4all
My private jet is a 36er
 
one4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Age: 40
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVcycle View Post
Nice unibag you've got!
Good luck with your shuttle plan...

Have fun,
UVcycle
Thanks
one4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 09:06 PM   #18
one4all
My private jet is a 36er
 
one4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Age: 40
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxuni View Post
I figured out the best way for my trials, in a garbage bag lol
You are not going to believe that, but for my 20" Uni I took a large nylon garbage bag in order to wrap it as a carry bag in the shuttle - and it worked

But it was a one time journey with my 20" - for the 36" I will need a daily fixed solution.
one4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 06:26 PM   #19
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')
 
vookash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Krakow, Poland
Age: 38
Posts: 1,407
Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I just got a "giant" military bag I ordered long time ago:
http://allegro.pl/wojskowy-worek-tra...075162448.html
I took off pedals and it ate my 26er up to the saddle, so it seems that just pedals and saddle needs to be removed to fit whole uni in this bag. Unfortunately it is very tight with road tire (26x2.1) so with bigger tire I would need to deflate it. Still not that much work for bigger travel and it costed 5$ with shipping.
Attached Images
 
__________________
http://vooni.kkdt.org My unicycling adventures including RomUni ride.
vookash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 08:22 PM   #20
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 51
Posts: 274
@vookash, now your 26er has Uniform...
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 10:42 AM   #21
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist
 
Siddhartha Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nearby Boston, MA
Posts: 1,447
I used to use a big trash bag when I was taking the train with my 26 muni.

However, I recently tried to flight with my Muni and looked for a bag I can use and maybe pad properly.
I found that Mavic is making bags for 29er MTB wheels. There is a lot of room in it. I used two square of cardboard boxes on each side to have stiffer sides (the fabric looks strong but is very flexible).
I had no problem fitting my 26 Large Marge and my Conundrum frame as is. Dropped the pedals and seatpost and voila.
There was enough room for a 29er for sure and I was able to add my shin guard and elbow guard in the corners, as well as the pedals, tools and some clothing.


The hardest part was to make sure I pick an airline with no extra fee for this bag (that was right at the size limit)

And the best part was that it was around $30 at my LBS !
Attached Images
 
__________________
=> CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
=> Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2013-04-08 at 10:48 AM.
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 11:44 AM   #22
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist
 
Siddhartha Valmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nearby Boston, MA
Posts: 1,447
And here is two pics I took when I returned.

Of course, the frame can fit in the bag without a problem when not straight up
Attached Images
  
__________________
=> CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
=> Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 03:44 PM   #23
makym
Unicyclist
 
makym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Szczecin/Zamosc - Poland
Posts: 102
Back again, this time with two unis in the bag
Soon I'm going to take a plane with my 24" and 26" munis. To pack them in, I had to dismount frame, take off tires and unscrew one pedal on each uni. Not to much space left in the bag. Looks like I shouldn't meet problems on airport. The bag looks causal. But the fact, I have to take off tires and put them again on rim after travel makes me really discouraged.


makym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 12:14 PM   #24
knoxuni
wes style!!
 
knoxuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: central ohio
Age: 25
Posts: 5,978
Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
Dang! expinsive bag of stuff :P
__________________
Roses are red, violets are blue, may I procreate with you so I can ride a g32!! - Alan hogan
knoxuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 01:05 PM   #25
colinoldncranky
Look mum, no training wheel!
 
colinoldncranky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 293
Send a message via Skype™ to colinoldncranky
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4all View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to make a carry bag for my Uni (one that allows carrying it up to a bus or train) and I'd appreciate very much if you could share your carry bags design/ photos of those of you who use such.

Thanks!
I have an alternate approach that would be the best by far unless it has already been tried.

I talked with the state government authority that set the policies and rules under which the various types of public transport operate. It took me about three months but I successfully negotiated (indeed, substantially wrote) a workable policy which they agreed to. It enabled me to take my unicycle onto buses.

A couple of years later I did the same thing for trains.

As result I am travelling on either with no need to break my unicycle down into bits or bag it. I am also not restricted as to the times on which I can carry it. I don't need to carry bags, dismantle anything, plan my times or anything. There just has to be room on the train, same as if I was not carrying it. I get on when it is packed full of passengers just like everyone else.

With the prospect of an outcome so perfect, it is worth giving a try before anything else.

If you want a reference policy go to http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Usin...hservices.aspx
colinoldncranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 04:55 PM   #26
one4all
My private jet is a 36er
 
one4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Age: 40
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinoldncranky View Post
I have an alternate approach that would be the best by far unless it has already been tried.

I talked with the state government authority that set the policies and rules under which the various types of public transport operate. It took me about three months but I successfully negotiated (indeed, substantially wrote) a workable policy which they agreed to. It enabled me to take my unicycle onto buses.

A couple of years later I did the same thing for trains.

As result I am travelling on either with no need to break my unicycle down into bits or bag it. I am also not restricted as to the times on which I can carry it. I don't need to carry bags, dismantle anything, plan my times or anything. There just has to be room on the train, same as if I was not carrying it. I get on when it is packed full of passengers just like everyone else.

With the prospect of an outcome so perfect, it is worth giving a try before anything else.

If you want a reference policy go to http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Usin...hservices.aspx
Hi @colinoldncranky,

Thanks a lot for your post, however in Israel the law for carrying bicycles, etc. onto buses and trains had changed only in the last few years.
It would be almost impossible for me to get such special approval as the law is very strict.

BTW - I already made my custom bag (and posted its pictures earlier).
one4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 12:52 PM   #27
colinoldncranky
Look mum, no training wheel!
 
colinoldncranky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 293
Send a message via Skype™ to colinoldncranky
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4all View Post
Hi @colinoldncranky,

Thanks a lot for your post, however in Israel the law for carrying bicycles, etc. onto buses and trains had changed only in the last few years.
It would be almost impossible for me to get such special approval as the law is very strict.

BTW - I already made my custom bag (and posted its pictures earlier).
The point is that I felt, correctly IMO, that the problems and practicality of carrying a unicycle is not at all the same as for a bike. That the difficulties a bike presented for other passengers would not be present for a unicycle. Carrying a golf bag would be a better (not good) comparison.

While we had bike policy that they were happy with, the staff didn't know how to treat me. So they bundled me in with bikes. My negotiations were to get it treated NOT as a bike. Once I opened that line of reasoning they considered it and agreed with me.

Your people may have a recently reviewed bike policy. What you need to do is show them that it is not appropriate. That the carriage of a unicycle is not as intrusive to others as a bike.

I gleaned from the bike policy at the time that one of the significant issues they had was dirty chains in crowded passenger space. So I addressed that in my submissions by limiting it to "chainless" unicycles. (You will see that on their site.) We have no chain, dirty brake pads etc.

Another issue was space taken up. So I sent them an image of me standing at a bus stop leaning on the unicycle close to me - not much room at all. And offered to meet and show.

On movement of the unicycle though pedestrian space and crowded carriages I again offered to meet them with it in a station to show how it was easy to control and carry and move around people. To do whatever they asked to alleviate any concerns. As it happened they never called me in and so everything was done by phone and email.

They must have agreed with my basic premise - that a unicycle does not have the same issues as a bike - and they expanded their policy accordingly.

I am sure that I still have most of my correspondence filed away somewhere. If you wish to see it, PM me your email address.

Last edited by colinoldncranky; 2013-04-12 at 12:57 PM.
colinoldncranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:59 PM   #28
one4all
My private jet is a 36er
 
one4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Age: 40
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinoldncranky View Post
The point is that I felt, correctly IMO, that the problems and practicality of carrying a unicycle is not at all the same as for a bike. That the difficulties a bike presented for other passengers would not be present for a unicycle. Carrying a golf bag would be a better (not good) comparison.

While we had bike policy that they were happy with, the staff didn't know how to treat me. So they bundled me in with bikes. My negotiations were to get it treated NOT as a bike. Once I opened that line of reasoning they considered it and agreed with me.

Your people may have a recently reviewed bike policy. What you need to do is show them that it is not appropriate. That the carriage of a unicycle is not as intrusive to others as a bike.

I gleaned from the bike policy at the time that one of the significant issues they had was dirty chains in crowded passenger space. So I addressed that in my submissions by limiting it to "chainless" unicycles. (You will see that on their site.) We have no chain, dirty brake pads etc.

Another issue was space taken up. So I sent them an image of me standing at a bus stop leaning on the unicycle close to me - not much room at all. And offered to meet and show.

On movement of the unicycle though pedestrian space and crowded carriages I again offered to meet them with it in a station to show how it was easy to control and carry and move around people. To do whatever they asked to alleviate any concerns. As it happened they never called me in and so everything was done by phone and email.

They must have agreed with my basic premise - that a unicycle does not have the same issues as a bike - and they expanded their policy accordingly.

I am sure that I still have most of my correspondence filed away somewhere. If you wish to see it, PM me your email address.
Well, after thinking it over - I will take my shot and see how it goes.
Although, we are talking about 36" uni and not 20"/26" so it's not that small and easy in terms of space...
one4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 04:24 PM   #29
colinoldncranky
Look mum, no training wheel!
 
colinoldncranky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 293
Send a message via Skype™ to colinoldncranky
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4all View Post
Well, after thinking it over - I will take my shot and see how it goes.
Although, we are talking about 36" uni and not 20"/26" so it's not that small and easy in terms of space...
That could be a problem if they choose to differentiate. I never mentioned size and they never asked.

Anyway, PM me your email and I'll forward what I have.
colinoldncranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 09:26 PM   #30
Vertigo
Unicyclist
 
Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
And here is two pics I took when I returned.

Of course, the frame can fit in the bag without a problem when not straight up
Siddhartha,

What are the dimensions of this bag? Also how wide is the webbing? I'm looking for something like this for a plane trip.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bag, carry, uni


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is using a song for a skate/unicycle video illegal? edwinabrandonly Unicycling Videos 3 2012-12-22 07:20 PM
Any using trals cranks for a uni? Nurse Ben General Unicycling Discussions 9 2012-06-05 06:49 PM
Geared Uni is not for me--KH29" Muni-hub Schlumpf for sale! Carey General Unicycling Discussions 7 2011-01-23 07:35 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.11821 seconds with 12 queries