Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2020-01-14, 11:13 AM   #8326
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
The question is why anybody who is not Scandinavian, would even want to search for Norwegian unicycle stuff. :P
I am not Scandinavian and search for unicycle stuff all the time.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 11:19 AM   #8327
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
I am not Scandinavian and search for unicycle stuff all the time.
Really? from where do you hail then? Naturally I was only kidding. Every now and then I search for unicycle stuff in Danish, as I used to live there and still visit it 4 times a year.
Setonix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 02:32 PM   #8328
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Really? from where do you hail then? Naturally I was only kidding. Every now and then I search for unicycle stuff in Danish, as I used to live there and still visit it 4 times a year.
Technically I am British/Irish. Though I never actually lived in Ireland. I have however lived for a several years (as a kid) in the US/California (I even had a green card at one point) and am now onto my eleventh year in Norway.

If you base it on my time living in countries and how they have likely influenced me, I guess you could argue that I am primarily British, then Norwegian, perhaps even little American and not really Irish as all… but the only passport I currently have that is valid is Irish. So who knows… I am a mess.
Old 2020-01-14, 11:11 PM   #8329
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
Technically I am British/Irish. Though I never actually lived in Ireland.… I am a mess.
On the positive side: an Irish passport may be much better soon for someone who is half British and 1/3rd Norwegian.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 11:03 AM   #8330
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
I find more dogs ignore me on a unicycle than on a bicycle (or even jogging).
Far more dogs act aggressively towards me when I'm on the uni, than if I'm on a bike. So much that it is actually an issue in my riding. I've been bitten by dogs several times, sometimes requiring medical treatment.
That is, in the Netherlands. I participated in the recent unicycle tour in Cambodia. There are lots of dogs there but almost all of them ignored us.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 11:12 AM   #8331
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
"all-rad" covers the uni just as much as a 6-wheel-drive desert-going truck.
We don't have a Dutch word/phrase for all-wheel drive. (We do have a word for four wheel drive though.) So, when I make that comment in Dutch, I use the English phrase all wheel drive.

Quote:
How is this in other languages, I wonder, is it just as easy to use an 'incorrect' term as in English?
In Dutch it's about the same as in German. We have 'fiets' which includes unicycles and tricycles. But I think that most people feel that in a stricter sense, 'fiets' refers to a bicycle. I rarely if ever call my unicycle a 'fiets' because of this ambiguity.
Do German unicyclists (not talking about the general public) often use 'Fahrrad' to describe their unicycle? I thought that 'Einrad' is more often used.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 11:25 AM   #8332
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
Do German unicyclists (not talking about the general public) often use 'Fahrrad' to describe their unicycle? I thought that 'Einrad' is more often used.
No we use "Fahrrad" as fiets or bicycle and "Einrad" for unicycle (of eenwieler)
Old 2020-01-15, 11:40 AM   #8333
ruari
 

Quote:
On the positive side: an Irish passport may be much better soon for someone who is half British and 1/3rd Norwegian.
This is true. In addition, Norway has recently allowed dual nationality (it was only possible before in very certain cases). Since I have lived here for a while (plus I am married to a native), I could now apply for Norwegian citizenship, without having to give up my British and Irish.

Passports are like Pokémon, right? Gotta Catch 'Em All
Old 2020-01-15, 11:29 PM   #8334
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
No we use "Fahrrad" as fiets or bicycle and "Einrad" for unicycle (of eenwieler)

Absolutely. But at least it is not (technically) wrong. And the activity of riding a cycle (radfahren) may be even more universal and independent of the number of wheels that the rider uses in one machine.
I may have lost some native feel for German after having lived in the U.K. for 25 years but I would say radfahren (cycle riding) rather than unicycle riding.
Anyway, as initially mentioned, all a bit nerdish but still good fun.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-20, 03:10 AM   #8335
ICEdaddy
Reggie stirred you, Sir.

Riding up a long hill on my Coker the other day, a cyclist passes me.

Cyclist: "For a moment I thought you were that Ed guy on YouTube. You know him?"

Me: "Yeah." Then pausing tho think, "I wish I had that sort of time"

Amazing that bicyclist know about Ed.
ICEdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-31, 03:19 PM   #8336
ruari
 

On my commute home, an older lady said quietly to what I presume are were her grandchildren (after one of them pointed at me),

"That's really dangerous!"

It was clearly not intended for me to hear but I caught it. So I replied loudly with,

"It's not that dangerous!"

as I sailed by. No time to think of something smarter, plus the above is a rough translation from Norwegian, and I don't think fast enough in Norwegian to come up with witty replies. I just wanted to quickly dismiss the obvious lie.
Old 2020-02-01, 03:39 AM   #8337
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Last month I went into the local liquor store to buy some beer right after my practice session. I had the uni with me and I was decked out in pads.

The attendant (who I know really well) said in a quiet voice "No muy gusto". I replied "Si, muy stupido...". He replied "MUUYYYY STUPIDO...."

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-01, 09:54 AM   #8338
pjpsoft
Unicyclist

Riding on snow, a man with his grand-son, when I arrived at their level, he says "easy would be dull" a few minutes later, climbing a bridge ramp, another one said " he is good the kid". Unicycling makes you younger, like a 60yo kid!
pjpsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-01, 08:15 PM   #8339
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

What are you going to ride?

Yesterday in the park a group of kids (4-7yrs old) approached me. A 4yr old girl asked me "What are you going to ride?" I pointed to my neighbor's small dog and said "I'm going to sit down and ride on that doggy." She smiled as if she knew I was kidding. It seemed that she wanted to see me ride, and she wanted to know the name of the unicycle. She cleverly combined those two questions into a single question. She and her friends were barefoot. I held the front of the seat and let her put her first foot on the 6:00 (all plastic) pedal, hold on to the seat with both hands, then place the second foot on the second pedal. She was able to step off carefully after a few moments. Her friend then tried the same thing. Once they were on, I'd make a big deal out of it, saying "Oh my gosh, you're riding!" They thought that was pretty funny. The whole scene was about the cutest thing ever. The kids ran off, and the mother of the kids yelled her thanks from across the park.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-01, 09:40 PM   #8340
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

From a passing road cyclist: "Now THAT looks complicated!"

me: "It's a simple device!"
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle