Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-09-15, 11:15 PM   #1
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Cycle shorts?

Hope this is in the right forum, but seems like it is ... mods pls move if not ...

Does anyone have any recommendation for padded cycle shorts? I am rarely comfortable on my uni seat.
Old 2018-09-16, 06:01 AM   #2
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfelder View Post
Hope this is in the right forum, but seems like it is ... mods pls move if not ...

Does anyone have any recommendation for padded cycle shorts? I am rarely comfortable on my uni seat.
For uni seat problem:
1) Stand up while riding and than seat again focusing on how to seat properly
2) Standig a bit could always help your blood flow through crotch area
3) With an handle or an handlebar you can focus on transferring some weight to that part
4) You can buy a seat with a cutout (you can buy one or modify your seat. Look through the forum and you'll find a lot of suggestions... my best saddle is the one I mod myself)
5) I'm waiting for my pants to arrive:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TSG-Crash-P.../dp/B005I1X4JK
But it is aimed to avoid others bad fall problems while learning to freewheel (I'm still scarred since 10 days ago)
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 08:26 AM   #3
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Get bib shorts. The over the shoulder construction makes sure "things" stay where they should. Shorts are designed for a close fit. They don't keep it all in place if they are loose.

Ride more. It builds up the muscles in your bum.

Use shorter cranks so there is more weight on your feet.

Ride up steep hills so you have to stand up. BTW I expect you would be surprised at the idea of standing up riding a unicycle. It surprises pretty much everyone until they do it. Non-riders always give me a funny look when I talk about standing up on hills and observers are never more incredulous than when watching me on a steep hill.
Old 2018-09-17, 04:20 AM   #4
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
For uni seat problem:
1) Stand up while riding and than seat again focusing on how to seat properly
2) Standig a bit could always help your blood flow through crotch area
3) With an handle or an handlebar you can focus on transferring some weight to that part
4) You can buy a seat with a cutout (you can buy one or modify your seat. Look through the forum and you'll find a lot of suggestions... my best saddle is the one I mod myself)
5) I'm waiting for my pants to arrive:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TSG-Crash-P.../dp/B005I1X4JK
But it is aimed to avoid others bad fall problems while learning to freewheel (I'm still scarred since 10 days ago)
Thanks Vogelfrei.

I'm at the very beginning of the learning curve so a handlebar is something I'll think about further down the line maybe. Right now I just want to stick to the basics.

I have some pants like the ones you are getting, but they have no crotch padding either, just impact protection.

If I don't eventually get comfortable on my seat, I will probably try to buy a new one. As a beginner, it's hard to know whether it's the seat's fault or my fault or what.
Old 2018-09-17, 04:25 AM   #5
Dingfelder
Smoov Moob Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Get bib shorts.
Bib shorts? Never heard of 'em, I'll have to look that up.

Quote:
Ride more. It builds up the muscles in your bum.
Ride more than half a revolution? Believe me, I'm trying!

I'm a classic "zero bum" white guy though. Even at my most athletic, decades ago, I didn't have enough bum to stop a raindrop from hitting my heel.

Quote:
Use shorter cranks so there is more weight on your feet.

Ride up steep hills so you have to stand up. BTW I expect you would be surprised at the idea of standing up riding a unicycle. It surprises pretty much everyone until they do it. Non-riders always give me a funny look when I talk about standing up on hills and observers are never more incredulous than when watching me on a steep hill.
I'll be trying this in good time. For now I'm working on what you suggested worked really well, a 20 incher with a fat tire to make it even easier to learn. Working on not immediately falling off, that is. Anything more complicated than that, I'll have to just keep in mind for later.
Old 2018-09-17, 11:04 PM   #6
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
I'm a classic "zero bum" white guy though. Even at my most athletic, decades ago, I didn't have enough bum to stop a raindrop from hitting my heel.

Fellow "zero bum" white guy here, my lack of arse has for some reason translated into me REALLY liking saddles with little or no padding. Impact Naomi, or Nimbus Stadium's are my arse's jam.

That being said - a good pair of bib shorts does help a lot. I've got a cheap Chinese set I got custom-printed with a whacky design, and a super high-end Trek/Bontrager team kit I got as part of a sponsorship (A lot less exciting than it sounds) and the difference between the two is significant. Both are fine to make my arse comfortable on nearly all rides, but the Trek kit is definitely reserved for my 100k epics because of how much better it makes everything.

So yeah... I say worry about good shorts later on, and concentrate on building your arse up. A cheap pair of bib shorts will provide enough padding to do you for decent rides, but unless you're doing 15-20 milers or more I wouldn't worry about either.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-18, 10:55 AM   #7
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
For now I'm working on what you suggested worked really well, a 20 incher with a fat tire to make it even easier to learn. Working on not immediately falling off, that is. Anything more complicated than that, I'll have to just keep in mind for later.
LOL. I didn't really notice who had asked. Generally questions about padded shorts come up after being able to ride kilometres.

One thing you are doing perfectly is maintaining a sense of humour. It really is the most important part of learning.

Tags
cycle, shorts