Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-06-17, 01:50 PM   #1096
Setonix
Unicyclist

This weekend my daugher learned to ride a bike and today after her 4th day of riding, we rode about 8km. Her mum on her own bike and me on the uni behind it. He bike wheels are maybe 16" so riding my 26" or 29" is quite hard in that I have to slow down all the time or ride very slowly when she gets tired, which often throws me off. On the other hand the pro of a uni is that when she is about to tumble, I can very quickly hop off and be by her side. With my commuting bike with a child seat, this is near impossible. Im so happy to be able to ride uni and well also that my daughter can now ride a bike, so I don't have to take her on my own bike anymore. Now we can make family trips with me on the uni. Hopefully she will want to learn that too some day.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 04:26 PM   #1097
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
This weekend my daugher learned to ride a bike and today after her 4th day of riding, we rode about 8km. Her mum on her own bike and me on the uni behind it. He bike wheels are maybe 16" so riding my 26" or 29" is quite hard in that I have to slow down all the time or ride very slowly when she gets tired, which often throws me off. On the other hand the pro of a uni is that when she is about to tumble, I can very quickly hop off and be by her side. With my commuting bike with a child seat, this is near impossible. Im so happy to be able to ride uni and well also that my daughter can now ride a bike, so I don't have to take her on my own bike anymore. Now we can make family trips with me on the uni. Hopefully she will want to learn that too some day.
Wow that is impressive, 4th day riding and she rode 5 miles
it took me a month to get my wife to be able to ride 5 miles

so I hit a new best for myself this past Friday afternoon
I hit the park I go to after work and rode around the lake on the walk/bike path. I was able to pull off 8 miles on the uni before I had to give it up due to bad chaffing pains. my past best had been 5 miles
Old 2018-06-18, 05:58 PM   #1098
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
On a good day, with plenty of satellites for triangulation, your GPS should fix your position within a few metres. It tells you you are in a specific place, but really your are somewhere in a circle with a radius of say 5 — 10 metres.
Sorry for the brief continuation of this side topic:

That's why I like Strava, which is also a free app (with a fancier paid version; I'm still on the free one). After recording your ride, it compares your route data with all the other routes people have ridden in that area, and matches you up to known roads or paths. This ends you with a more accurate overall recording of what you did (unless you veer off into the fields a lot), and better comparison with your past and future rides.

You have to list yourself as a "bike" (or runner), but that's fine with me. It also lets you set up a list of the cycles you ride, and choose which one it was after the ride. If you have an Apple Watch, you can have a wrist-mounted real-time speedometer, which will also show distance, elapsed time, etc.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 09:16 PM   #1099
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
I was able to pull off 8 miles on the uni before I had to give it up due to bad chaffing pains. my past best had been 5 miles
I think that is a nice distance. As for the chafing, the type of saddle is very important. With the KH seat on my 32"I can ride much longer than with the Nimbus seat on my 29". I keep telling myself to lose weight, there is less fat on my legs and thus less chafing, but my wife loves to bake the nicest things. I just need to try those. I eat more than I burn with uni-ing.
Old 2018-06-19, 11:58 AM   #1100
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I think that is a nice distance. As for the chafing, the type of saddle is very important. With the KH seat on my 32"I can ride much longer than with the Nimbus seat on my 29". I keep telling myself to lose weight, there is less fat on my legs and thus less chafing, but my wife loves to bake the nicest things. I just need to try those. I eat more than I burn with uni-ing.
I'm right there with you on the good eats from the wife
I did get a good KH seat and it is much better than the stock Torker seat
I think what I really need is to learn how to ride and not slide forward so much
Old 2018-06-24, 08:00 PM   #1101
Setonix
Unicyclist

Now my daughter learned to ride a bike, I have been riding many of my uni's, which normally just stay in the shed from 20" through 32". It has become easier to freemount the different sizes, now I mix them throughout the week. Also rode with 140mm cranks on my 32", which felt very well, even though it is more of a fight to ride uphill, but I suppose it is good for growing muscle. Today I was riding with the KH 26" and managed to ride slow and stop and go several times in a row. Im making more progress in stopping, even after some bigger speed. Also my knee ache from a while ago is finally going away. It is good to know there still are moments where I really notice, I've made a lot of progress riding uni and naturally still love it and also dream about it nearly every night. Naturally in my dreams it all goes much easier and I can take obstacles that I can't take in real life.
Old 2018-07-05, 04:45 PM   #1102
Setonix
Unicyclist

Im happy that the website is back online again.
Two days ago I went with the family to a small beach next to a river on my uni and while they were playing in the sand, I wanted to focus more on hopping sideways and also hopping to only retain balance and a I managed to hop sideways 10 or so metres and also stay on a lot longer without hopping or tumbling off. That was a win.

The other thing I managed was to do rolling hops. Something I only once managed a few times with the fatty Hatchet uni last year. Now I can do it with every other rotation. Needs more practice of course for getting higher and further, but the beginning is there.
Old 2018-07-18, 08:56 PM   #1103
Gadge
I was right, it does get easier!

Well it's been at least a year since I last rode and even longer since I logged in here. Last week I finally got the 29er out and managed a short ride. Was a bit too adventurous and legs took a week to recover!

Tonight, got out for second ride. Managed a full lap of Blakemere in Delamere Forest. Probably only 3 miles but no UPDs and managed a couple of reasonable climbs. It's nice to be back.

Little changes though, always seems to be the cyclists that try to be witty; "you've lost your other wheel" never gets boring does it? 😉

Did have a nice chat with a chap that knew about Ed Pratt's world tour.
Old 2018-07-19, 05:05 AM   #1104
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Im finally getting the hang of riding backwards. Yesterday I had a training session where I managed consistently to stop, go backwards 3-5 revs,stop again and recontinue riding forwards.
I could also do a static mount to riding backwards as well.
On several tries I had a 60% success rate at going forwards, stopping, bunnyhopping 180 degrees and continuing in the same direction riding backwards.

This was a surprisingly sudden increase of abilities I hadn’t expected.

I think I’ll have to practice idling with the left foot down, now. I can’t hide behind having to train riding backwards anymore.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 04:16 PM   #1105
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
My guess is that all the skills you just learned are related in some way. For example, riding forward then reversing direction is related to mounting and idling. The reversing of direction mimics a momentary static mount.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 04:23 PM   #1106
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelhenni View Post
My guess is that all the skills you just learned are related in some way. For example, riding forward then reversing direction is related to mounting and idling. The reversing of direction mimics a momentary static mount.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 08:04 PM   #1107
Setonix
Unicyclist

Lately I've been focusing much more on hopping and staying in the air longer, meaning that I don;t want my feet to touch the ground and also not continuously hopping. Today I had 2 times where I could hold out very long and only hop when losing balance. In the end I always hop off, because I start overthinking it and I get afraid the uni will ride away under me. I have a ways to go, but it is finally looking up.
Old 2018-07-21, 06:44 AM   #1108
haqreu
Unicyclist

Today I reached level 2, took me 3 months and a tyre the from very start.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=M1OA9XP5vdk

It is not much compared to what most of you can do, but I am happy. Circles are still jerky, but I see improvements. Funny thing those IUF levels, consistent execution or ALL low level skills is harder than doing consistently few random high level stuff.
haqreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-22, 08:57 AM   #1109
Setonix
Unicyclist

I hadn;t ridden my 36" in nearly a year, simply because it is too difficult to mount. This week my wife mentioned that if I don't ride it I should sell it. But what does she know about unicyclists. Not riding now didn't mean I wasn't gonna try again. So today I decided to give it another go. At first I couldn't even take off even though I stepped up holding a wall. It was too high and I felt scared, but I pushed on and in a short time I managed to push off and ride around the parking lot. Then I was curious to see how fast I could ride on it. I do an average of 14.5 kph on the 32" and with the 36 I should be able to faster. I did 4+ kilometers on the parking lot and used mapmyrun to calculate the average speed, which was close to 19 kph.
After that I decided to focus on freemounting again, which I think I got the hang of again and as an addition I managed to slow down to a stop to do some hopping and then riding off again. All in all it took about an hour to get the feeling back and Im very pleased. I'll do this a few more times before taking the beast out in the wild. Also I was half wondering about trying with 165mm cranks, but already the saddle pin is a bit long, and then Im not sure I will be able to reach the bottom pedal. Don't wanna saw the pin shorter.
Old 2018-07-24, 10:15 AM   #1110
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Now I can ride backwards 50ft on both my Qu-Ax 20 and the KH20. Somehow it doesn’t work on my KH27.5, where I can only do 20ft. On some thread I read that it is supposedly easier to ride a bigger wheel backwards. What am I doing wrong? Or is it, again, just a practice thing?
When I’ve got the 50ft backwards checkmarked on the KH27.5, I’ll move on to the same task on the Hatchet.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2