Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-06-17, 01:50 PM   #1096
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 42
Posts: 557
This weekend my daugher learned to ride a bike and today after her 4th day of riding, we rode about 8km. Her mum on her own bike and me on the uni behind it. He bike wheels are maybe 16" so riding my 26" or 29" is quite hard in that I have to slow down all the time or ride very slowly when she gets tired, which often throws me off. On the other hand the pro of a uni is that when she is about to tumble, I can very quickly hop off and be by her side. With my commuting bike with a child seat, this is near impossible. Im so happy to be able to ride uni and well also that my daughter can now ride a bike, so I don't have to take her on my own bike anymore. Now we can make family trips with me on the uni. Hopefully she will want to learn that too some day.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 04:26 PM   #1097
aj1500
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Savannah Ga
Age: 56
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
This weekend my daugher learned to ride a bike and today after her 4th day of riding, we rode about 8km. Her mum on her own bike and me on the uni behind it. He bike wheels are maybe 16" so riding my 26" or 29" is quite hard in that I have to slow down all the time or ride very slowly when she gets tired, which often throws me off. On the other hand the pro of a uni is that when she is about to tumble, I can very quickly hop off and be by her side. With my commuting bike with a child seat, this is near impossible. Im so happy to be able to ride uni and well also that my daughter can now ride a bike, so I don't have to take her on my own bike anymore. Now we can make family trips with me on the uni. Hopefully she will want to learn that too some day.
Wow that is impressive, 4th day riding and she rode 5 miles
it took me a month to get my wife to be able to ride 5 miles

so I hit a new best for myself this past Friday afternoon
I hit the park I go to after work and rode around the lake on the walk/bike path. I was able to pull off 8 miles on the uni before I had to give it up due to bad chaffing pains. my past best had been 5 miles
__________________
24" Torker LX
29" Trainer
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 05:58 PM   #1098
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'
 
johnfoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Age: 56
Posts: 16,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
On a good day, with plenty of satellites for triangulation, your GPS should fix your position within a few metres. It tells you you are in a specific place, but really your are somewhere in a circle with a radius of say 5 — 10 metres.
Sorry for the brief continuation of this side topic:

That's why I like Strava, which is also a free app (with a fancier paid version; I'm still on the free one). After recording your ride, it compares your route data with all the other routes people have ridden in that area, and matches you up to known roads or paths. This ends you with a more accurate overall recording of what you did (unless you veer off into the fields a lot), and better comparison with your past and future rides.

You have to list yourself as a "bike" (or runner), but that's fine with me. It also lets you set up a list of the cycles you ride, and choose which one it was after the ride. If you have an Apple Watch, you can have a wrist-mounted real-time speedometer, which will also show distance, elapsed time, etc.
__________________
John Foss
www.unicycling.com

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 09:16 PM   #1099
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 42
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
I was able to pull off 8 miles on the uni before I had to give it up due to bad chaffing pains. my past best had been 5 miles
I think that is a nice distance. As for the chafing, the type of saddle is very important. With the KH seat on my 32"I can ride much longer than with the Nimbus seat on my 29". I keep telling myself to lose weight, there is less fat on my legs and thus less chafing, but my wife loves to bake the nicest things. I just need to try those. I eat more than I burn with uni-ing.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-19, 11:58 AM   #1100
aj1500
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Savannah Ga
Age: 56
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I think that is a nice distance. As for the chafing, the type of saddle is very important. With the KH seat on my 32"I can ride much longer than with the Nimbus seat on my 29". I keep telling myself to lose weight, there is less fat on my legs and thus less chafing, but my wife loves to bake the nicest things. I just need to try those. I eat more than I burn with uni-ing.
I'm right there with you on the good eats from the wife
I did get a good KH seat and it is much better than the stock Torker seat
I think what I really need is to learn how to ride and not slide forward so much
__________________
24" Torker LX
29" Trainer
aj1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-24, 08:00 PM   #1101
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 42
Posts: 557
Now my daughter learned to ride a bike, I have been riding many of my uni's, which normally just stay in the shed from 20" through 32". It has become easier to freemount the different sizes, now I mix them throughout the week. Also rode with 140mm cranks on my 32", which felt very well, even though it is more of a fight to ride uphill, but I suppose it is good for growing muscle. Today I was riding with the KH 26" and managed to ride slow and stop and go several times in a row. Im making more progress in stopping, even after some bigger speed. Also my knee ache from a while ago is finally going away. It is good to know there still are moments where I really notice, I've made a lot of progress riding uni and naturally still love it and also dream about it nearly every night. Naturally in my dreams it all goes much easier and I can take obstacles that I can't take in real life.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 04:45 PM   #1102
Setonix
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Duiven, The Netherlands
Age: 42
Posts: 557
Im happy that the website is back online again.
Two days ago I went with the family to a small beach next to a river on my uni and while they were playing in the sand, I wanted to focus more on hopping sideways and also hopping to only retain balance and a I managed to hop sideways 10 or so metres and also stay on a lot longer without hopping or tumbling off. That was a win.

The other thing I managed was to do rolling hops. Something I only once managed a few times with the fatty Hatchet uni last year. Now I can do it with every other rotation. Needs more practice of course for getting higher and further, but the beginning is there.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brag, landed, thread, today, tricks, version 2


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today I... (brag thread) fuolornis General Unicycling Discussions 9935 2011-05-13 12:56 PM
Yesterday I...(Brag thread 2) Tyler_N General Unicycling Discussions 37 2009-05-13 12:24 PM
2 Days Ago I.... (Brag Thread 3) The.Mars.Volta General Unicycling Discussions 89 2008-11-17 06:51 AM
Today I....(non-brag) hobo_chuck General Unicycling Discussions 22 2008-11-02 06:40 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2016 Gilby
You Rated this Thread:
Page generated in 0.13093 seconds with 11 queries