Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-02-07, 07:07 AM   #1
Danni
Unicyclist

Question Many many questions to Nimbus and Cokeur owners

After seeing all these posts about the new nimbus, and soiling many pairs of pants, I have decided to cough up the cash and get myself one. I have many questions before I buy:
1. What is the difference between a 36er and a coker?
2. What would you recommend for a saddle?
3. What crank length should I get, and what in your opinion are the best cranks for this type of riding?
This shows me the beast, and gives me a list of what I can get:
4. What is the difference between 12 and 14 gauge spokes, and which ones would you recommend?
5. Is the AT7 Touring Handle nice, and is it worth it?
5. The Kris Holm geared hub might be coming out soon, would it be impossibly difficult to switch the hub?
6. What is so special about this airfoil rim?

Thanks to all who answer my bombardment of questions! Hehehe
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 07:13 AM   #2
muzzle
UNI branded

1. What is the difference between a 36er and a coker?
Coker is a brand name, both are 36ers.
2. What would you recommend for a saddle?
UDC Gel.
3. What crank length should I get, and what in your opinion are the best cranks for this type of riding?
140 or shorter 127 are faster but harder to learn on
4. What is the difference between 12 and 14 gauge spokes, and which ones would you recommend?
weight vs strength ratio. depends what your doing on ur uni.
5. Is the AT7 Touring Handle nice, and is it worth it?
Only if you like touring handles. Some people like them some dont. For short commutes you probably wont need it.
5. The Kris Holm geared hub might be coming out soon, would it be impossibly difficult to switch the hub?
Not sure.
6. What is so special about this airfoil rim?
Much stronger, much lighter. Thus better handling and better for bumps.
muzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 07:25 AM   #3
Danni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzle
weight vs strength ratio. depends what your doing on ur uni.
Well I'm going to be riding it around. No six foot drops and crankflips on this. What would be lighter and better suited for a commuting uni?
Thanks Muzzle!

Last edited by Danni; 2007-02-07 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2007-02-07, 07:28 AM   #4
iridemymuni
i just dribbled

Send a message via MSN to iridemymuni
14 gauge are better i believe.

stainless steel wont rust and looks good.

im getting 14 gauge.
Felt like putting my head under the tire.
- JustOneWheel
iridemymuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 07:30 AM   #5
Chris.James
I'm not flying-I'm falling w/ style

14g stainless is actually stronger than the more weighty 12g and it doenst rust so it stays better longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dforbes
Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have to watch we don't land in dog poop.....
Chris.James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 07:57 AM   #6
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

As muzzle noted, both are 36" touring unicycles. The Nimbus from UDC is superior to a stock Coker from almost any angle of comparison. The combination of the Airfoil rim, 14 spokes, and well-designed frame are the Big 3 differentiators. On the negative side, the current Airfoil rims are reputed to only fit the TA tires, rather than working on both the TA and the Coker tires like earlier Airfoil rims. That's a downer, as the Coker tire is nicer for offroad applications.

I agree, get the UDC gel saddle. If you get serious later, you can think about tricking it out. Likewise, the 150 cranks will be much easier to learn on, and much more flexible if you have any regular hills in your riding universe. Once you're more proficient, you may want shorter cranks, but the 150 is a pretty versatile length. Learn to spin on those, and you'll be flying when you start going shorter.

If you're unsure about the touring handle, at least spend the extra and get the rail adapter seatpost setup. Being able to adjust the angle of your seat can make a big impact on increasing comfort on long trips. Plus that way, you can always add the T7 later.

I recently bought a Nimbus 36 for my 13 year old son, and have been very impressed with the quality. I added on a T7 handle later, and the workmanship and design is quite nice. Overall with all the adders, it's a factory setup in the $700-$800 range that you previously had to go fully custom to get, at a pricetag of $1000+++.

$.02,

TB
Old 2007-02-07, 10:10 AM   #7
TonyMelton
Proud owner of Kris Holms old shoes

I just did the SINZ tour on a KH Fusion Freeride saddle and had no problems at all in nearly 1000km. This saddle is the best of the KH saddle variants for long distance riding, in my opinion. A rail adapter and KH rail post will greatly enhance your saddle comfort on rides longer than a few km.

As for handles the T7 is a good choice as is the GB4 handle (though this works best with a carbon fibre seat base). I use a Scott Wallis Deathgrip handle, which is very light and strong and can be used with one or two hands.

14g spokes are lighter and stronger than 12g.

BTW you cannot be a 'Cokeur owner' unless you own slaves who ride unicycles. 'Cokeur' refers to someone who rides a Coker/36er.

Last edited by TonyMelton; 2007-02-07 at 10:11 AM.
TonyMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 12:33 PM   #8
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Me thinks muzzle summed it up nicely.

Can't wait till this game is finally released.

Last edited by Hazmat; 2007-02-07 at 12:41 PM.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 12:40 PM   #9
maximus unius
Unicyclist

The KH geared hub will most likely NOT work with the nibmus 36 frame. That frame is compatible with only wide hubs, and as far as I know, the KH geared hub is not going to be wide, just normal width(whatever that is) to fit in his KH frame. If you really really really really wanted it, you would have to 1) deal with having a much weaker wheel which is not good and 2) buy the KH 36 frame that costs $590 USD

Last edited by maximus unius; 2007-02-07 at 12:41 PM.
maximus unius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 12:50 PM   #10
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni
Well I'm going to be riding it around. No six foot drops and crankflips on this. What would be lighter and better suited for a commuting uni?
Thanks Muzzle!
You don't have to to need a strong wheel, I have the 12g steel spokes and steel rim on my nimbus 36. I can quite easily get the rim to bend so that it rubs on my brakes while riding on flat ground, just by riding hard, whihc is extremley annoying. The stainless spokes are lighter, stronger, stiffer and cheaper, there's no downside.

I have the T7 handle and i love it, got my brakes computer and bell on there, I can't ride coker without one anymore.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 01:00 PM   #11
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Sometimes if i want to confuse people when i'm riding my coker. I hold an actual steering wheel in front of me and make beeping noises as i pass-by. It's hialrious to know that people like me will try new and weird things. . Also when i'm turning, i also turn the steering wheel to match my movements (Left to go left, right to go right) and so forth.

Can't wait till this game is finally released.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 07:26 PM   #12
Danni
Unicyclist

Thanks guys!
Old 2007-02-08, 05:57 AM   #13
boo radley
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblackwood
On the negative side, the current Airfoil rims are reputed to only fit the TA tires, rather than working on both the TA and the Coker tires like earlier Airfoil rims.
So are the new Airfoil rims just as good as the old ones in all respects except for the Coker tire thing? I have to wonder if it even holds the TA tire as well as it should. I was going to wait for the next batch of Airfoils to come out before upgrading my steel rim, but I think I can live without a Coker tire if that's the only problem.
Old 2007-02-08, 08:20 AM   #14
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley
So are the new Airfoil rims just as good as the old ones in all respects except for the Coker tire thing? I have to wonder if it even holds the TA tire as well as it should. I was going to wait for the next batch of Airfoils to come out before upgrading my steel rim, but I think I can live without a Coker tire if that's the only problem.
The current batch of airfoil rims--or at least the one that came with my son's Nimbus 36--appears to hold the TA tire quite well. According to the discussion I had with Amy Drummond at UDC, it is not at all clear there will ever be a "next batch" of airfoil rims. UDC stays pretty tight lipped about who the supplier of the airfoil rims is, but she clearly lacked the confidence (in either herself or in the airfoil supplier) to assert her rights as Buyer and reject the current batch as defective, which it clearly is. The impression I got was that she fears the supplier won't make another batch, and they really wanted to get the Nimbus to market with the wonderful TA tire.

In the long history of UDC mistakes at the expense of their customers, I believe this one is their biggest. If you're the buyer and someone tries to sell you a load of crap that doesn't meet spec, you should shove it back at them and make them do it again.
Old 2007-02-08, 08:54 AM   #15
onelesscar
I get places on 75% fewer wheels

I just sent an email to UDC in which I asked them when the next (correct) batch of airfoils would be in. Their response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the apparently confused UDC
We won’t have those rims in till April...If you’d like to purchase the regular coker compatible rim in April it will be up on the site

Tags
cokeur, nimbus, owners, questions