Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-06, 04:54 PM   #766
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hi guys.
I'm glad you liked the vid
Thanks for the advice 57
jojoxie, we've both just watched the video you posted with the coptor. Neat idea. Hubbs was wondering what his next project will be.
We are considering buying a go pro as well, just have to decide on which model. We would want it for action shots and scenic shots so we are comparing models at the moment. Hubby has a little camera on one of his gliders, it's fun but people are just little dots. And it makes me dizzy just watching the horizon keep disappearing and coming into view again
Ooh, 36" . Way to go! Piccies please.

Unibiddy, was that really a dead cat.???? Aw, it's awfull, but funny at the same time.

You've just reminded me of something....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Uses_for_a_Dead_Cat

I haven't read it, maybe I will

Last edited by Alucard; 2012-06-06 at 04:56 PM.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:23 AM   #767
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hey jojoxie

We've just been watching the BBC coverage of the Olympic torch in Orkney. Looks like you had a good day for it. Great turnout! Do you know the guy on the stilts?
Are you there in the crowds?

Last edited by Alucard; 2012-06-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:39 AM   #768
krjames
Unicyclist

Been a bit busy lately.

Certainly enjoyed watching all the videos this morning! The kids were puffing as much as you were 57!

And very pretty it was too.... the spitfire I mean
Uni, model planes and Spitfire, that has to be a title designed for me.

Still have no real feel for the roll back mount.

That was fun.
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 03:32 PM   #769
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hey Krjames

I'm not getting the roll back mount either but I am getting better with the short forward rolling mount. I only take two steps back, so I don't pick up a lot of speed, but it is improving.

Out in the field this Monday again, and the 'beluga' plane fllew over. The factory is only about 20 oddmiles away, but we never see this plane. The wind must have been blowing from a different direction for it to come over the field. No vid, battery ran out on camera

Hubby has a plane called a uni jet. So now hubbs has a uni too

I wonder what plane we'll see next Monday?

Last edited by Alucard; 2012-06-13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2012-06-30, 09:44 PM   #770
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hi Gang!
How's everyone doing?
The weather here in the UK hasn't been very uni friendly to say the least.
57 How are you getting on?
jojoxie. How's the 36" ?
krjames Any news on the roll-back?
I went for a ride yesterday along the cycle path from Pensarn to llandulas. Beloved was by my side on a b*ke. I managed runs of over 10 mins before upd's. Bit rusty, but okay

Elaine
Old 2012-07-02, 03:02 AM   #771
krjames
Unicyclist

"krjames Any news on the roll-back?"

Only got out for the first time in two weeks this morning... Didn't even think about it but did get in a few good backwards rides. The hot weather is well and truly here.

Anyway felt good to get out on the wheel. Haven't been on the 29 for over a month now, hopefully give it a whirl on Wednesday.

Cheers
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Old 2012-07-02, 04:19 PM   #772
Alucard
Unicyclist

Yeah, go for it!

Looks the UK has got everyones' rain. Warm though, great for the weeds. Ha, as I'm writing this it's hailing!

LOL!
Old 2012-07-02, 10:50 PM   #773
Young at heart
Unibiddy

Sounds like people are doing well. We have hot weather here too. We went out to a school to practice the 29, but just as we got there the thunder and rain started. Later I just went out the driveway (rocks, gravel and grass) on the 24 muni and I had a personal best out to the pavement then down a dirt road a bit. About a quarter mile, and then I had to stop or die I need to relax so I use less energy, as I don't necessarily have a UPD. A neighbor drove up behind me on the dirt, so I had to stop to let her by. I tried to get her to come out and give it a go, but no dice. Happy practicing all!
Young at heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:31 PM   #774
DrLightWind
Unicyclist

Idling

I'm ok, just travelling a lot recently
My progress is slow on idling, but I can do 6 to 8 cycles once in a while

Cheers everybody and good practice,

Bela
DrLightWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 09:36 PM   #775
Jeff2
Unicyclist

Question Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57UniRider View Post
Hi,
I am 57 tomorrow and started my unicycle challenge about 4 months ago. I have conquered the riding part. The biggest challenge is endurance, both muscular and cardiovascular (I run out of breath). I started on a 20" Torker LX. After mastering the riding part, I decided a bigger wheel might be the answer to getting me further down the street with less exhaustion. A 24" wheel did improve my distance, but only a little. After about a minute or two (I'm guessing), I am totally exhausted. My muscles won't go any further, and I am totally out of breath. I've decided to take up riding a regular bicycle in hopes that exercising longer without worrying about falling off will help develop the muscles and stamina. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I am completely amazed that I seem to be THIS much out of shape! Any idea how long it might take before I can actually ride around the neighborhood? That's what I really wanted to do. I wanted a fun way to exercise. I FOUND it, but gee I am having trouble increasing my distance. Also, are there any other older women taking up this crazy activity. I love it, but I just can't ride long enough! Thanks!!
I thought the riding in the school was absolutely fantastic.
I am ordered by my shoulder and Doctor to not ride for at least
3 months. Trashed my rotator cuff and bisep doing various stuff over the
years. As soon as I can I will be back to practicing.
I taught elementary for 20 years and wish I'd had a uni to share with my kids.
I will try and talk my wife into giving it a try. She does step excercise stuff
but has a motor scooter damaged ankle that just might not like uni riding.
When I stopped a couple weeks go for the surgery I was trying to get around the local high school track. It is a rubberized surface and lovely to crash on.
There is a low fence that allows for lousey mounting assistance.
Promise to out distance you when I get back aboard.

When ever I had extra time to spend practicing I always seemed to be able to go further when I was really tired out. Sort of think the relaxing thing from
exhaustion made stuff easier. When I first go out I am always feeling like I am
overexerting myself.

Jeff2 (69)
Jeff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 02:32 PM   #776
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

Hello Everyone!

We surely do have some really great people here on the forum!
Like EVERYONE posting on this thread!

krjames! - I intended to respond to your kind remarks much sooner! I've gotten sidetracked... yet again.
I won't even go into details. I hope I'm back on track now.

Speaking of "tracks," I imagine that is one reason I've avoided replying...
...because I haven't made it to the track this summer yet.
However! Now I've got TWO of you great people pushing me toward the track...

Thank You Jeff2!
How kind of you!

Sorry to hear you've been banned from unicycling for 3 months!... But what a nice gesture on your part. What unicyclist wanna-be can resist a challenge? krjames has been after me for MONTHS to get on that track!!! I'm not sure exactly WHAT is keeping me from it! James, you were correct when you ask me about the heat here in the summer. It is BOILING! But that is not what has held me back for the most part.

One small bit of progress to report. I have left the 20" behind for the 24". Roll Back mounts are still my freemount of choice. I have not ridden the 20" since the end of May, but the distance thing is still not there yet. I keep getting interrupted. Then I have to play "catch up"... yet again.

Jeff2!
Thanks so much for your post!
You have my attention!

Also, hello and happy greetings to you other recent posters here: Bela, UniBiddy, and Allucard!

Happy Riding Everyone!

Last edited by 57UniRider; 2012-07-17 at 02:35 PM.
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 10:27 AM   #777
krjames
Unicyclist

And I still can't get the roll back mount....

I have been trying to ride seat out (front) at the gym lately. It's not at all easy. I would probably have got it under control if I were practicing every day.... but I could say that about a lot of things

Yes the heat and humidity aren't great at all. I feel like a little puddle on a wheel at this time of the year.. I don't go riding in the rain, might as well since I couldn't get any wetter

Glad to know you are rolling on the 24, I tried a 20" clubstyle trials uni a few weeks ago and could see the potential for fun, it had a 2.5 tire Next year's birthday prezzie!

Cheers all
— Homer Simpson
Old 2012-08-15, 02:33 PM   #778
57UniRider
Talent is really an ability to work

Hello Everyone!

I'm reading Lars Clausen's One Wheel Many Spokes about his unicycle ride through every state in the 48 continguous United States beginning in the northwest corner of Washington state all the way to the east coast and all the way back down and across the south ending in southern California. He started in April and finished in November.

The first line of his book really struck a chord with me: "The Alabama afternoon pushes the limits of heat and humidity for unicyling." If Lars Clausen has that opinion, I'm thinking it's okay for me to think so... although he rides in it, and I don't seem to be so inclined.

Last summer the heat beat me... along with a few other set backs.

This summer, I thought I would conquer the heat anyway, but that didn't happen probably due to a couple of other unrelated interruptions.

That's okay. I'm still working on it, but I can't say I've been very serious about it for the last couple of months.

I've got great news. After missing only 3 days of teaching school in a total of 19 years, I'm taking a sabbatical this fall. It's nice to wake up stress free and have the entire day to spend as I please. School started Monday, but not for me! Surely, when the heat lets up a little, I can get back to some serious uni practice... without being worn out after teaching all day long.

I haven't gotten very far into Lars Clausen's book yet, but it's already an inspiration.

Just wanted to say "Hi" to my friends this morning.

Happy Riding Everyone!
57UniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 04:02 PM   #779
Alucard
Unicyclist

Hi 57Unirider
So no school huh, Do you still get that Friday feeling ?

I've not been doing too good on my 29'' so I've 'retired' it for a little while and gone back to my 26''. This one is a lot easier to freemount. Still can't figure this spinning lark, but hopefully I'll nail it eventually.

So, are we going to get some more regular updates on your uni riding?
I love to hear how people are getting on.
Old 2012-09-05, 01:15 PM   #780
krjames
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post

I've not been doing too good on my 29'' so I've 'retired' it for a little while and gone back to my 26''. This one is a lot easier to freemount. Still can't figure this spinning lark, but hopefully I'll nail it eventually.
Yes, the 29 does feel different, but it really is just a matter of concentrating on not putting weight onto the 'pedal' foot.

And, no, I don't think I have got the spinning either. I think I am 'pedalling squares' as the cyclists say. I find if I do increase my cadence it doesn't take more than a few seconds before I feel like I am losing control. I do wonder if it is related to being a distance runner, slow pace/cadence there too.

Sadly I see from my diary that my 29 has been effectively retired too... having too much fun with the muni on my 'muni training track'. Like everywhere in the world it seems, the council is putting in walking/cycling paths (asphalt). They have done the streambank work with various heavy machine which made a lovely muni track about 500m long. Some areas gravel and some sandy. At the moment the sandy bits can be a bit treacherous as it might be just a mud puddle which bogs me down every time. We have had a few storms lately so nothing stays the same. But it is really good fun bouncing around and off!
— Homer Simpson

Tags
female, muscle endurance, older women, padded saddle, stamina