Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-01-09, 06:26 PM   #1
wilsonov7
Rookie

hello from the south

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...uNaDTuPmJVqNcB

Hey Everybody, I'm Jon from Albany, GA. I've chronicled a good bit of my unicycle learning adventure on my YouTube channel. Most of the videos are under 10 seconds I started back around 12/09/2013 and I'm at the 30 day point right now and I'm finally getting it...a little. This is hard but so fun when you get up and balanced and moving!
wilsonov7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 09:47 PM   #2
wilsonov7
Rookie

tires

also, has anyone put a 2.1" Primo Wall on a Torker CX 20" yet? Just wanna see if it fits.
Old 2014-01-09, 09:56 PM   #3
Uni Lateral
Cyclophobic

Looking good Jon...I think I was at a similar level at day 30...maybe with a bit more huffing and puffing as I tried to push myself further.
I loved the little self-congratulatory cheer...I still do those all the time as I achieve new things on the unicycle. Keep up the good work

UL
Uni Lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 02:18 PM   #4
wilsonov7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni Lateral View Post
Looking good Jon...I think I was at a similar level at day 30...maybe with a bit more huffing and puffing as I tried to push myself further.
I loved the little self-congratulatory cheer...I still do those all the time as I achieve new things on the unicycle. Keep up the good work

UL
I have to keep myself motivated as I'm both the team and cheerleader
Old 2014-01-10, 09:43 PM   #5
coyote29er
Unicyclist

Ah yes, I'm reminiscing on my "cling to the chain link fence for dear life days." Way to go Jon! And more dancing... Really, explore the space! (a more-cowbell reference.
coyote29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 09:49 PM   #6
wilsonov7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote29er View Post
Ah yes, I'm reminiscing on my "cling to the chain link fence for dear life days." Way to go Jon! And more dancing... Really, explore the space! (a more-cowbell reference.
More dancing, seriously? Well, I'll make it job no. 1!
Old 2014-01-10, 09:49 PM   #7
wilsonov7
Rookie

Any advice on the free mount? I have no clue what I'm doing. At all.
Old 2014-01-11, 12:23 AM   #8
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

You're doing great for one month. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonov7 View Post
also, has anyone put a 2.1" Primo Wall on a Torker CX 20" yet? Just wanna see if it fits.
I haven't tried it but I'd bet it'll fit. 20" unis mostly seem to have lots of tire clearance and 2.1" isn't especially large anyway. How big is the original tire and how much room is there above and beside it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonov7 View Post
Any advice on the free mount? I have no clue what I'm doing. At all.
It'll come. Still early days. I didn't get it for the longest time. Curb mounting was a good way to work up to it and to practice the low-speed balance skills I needed to ride away from any kind of mount, and also a good way to re-mount out in the real world until I had free mounting down.

The thing I noticed in your video is that you don't have the seat firmly planted in your crotchal zone. That's a big part of it. You can use your hips to drive the unicycle forward and resist the foot on the back pedal. It's a dynamic thing. It clicked quickly once I got it but I needed a long time (ie, months) to get it.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 05:53 PM   #9
wilsonov7
Rookie

I am going to try to curb mount. thanks for the tip! I believe that the current tire is a 1 point 75 inch wide Kenda.
Old 2014-01-11, 07:13 PM   #10
LargeEddie

OK, so if you've got a quarter inch or so between the sidewalls and the frame legs, it should be alright. That's a pretty skinny tire if it's 1.75". (That's what came on my starter uni too.) More width gives you a margin to run lower pressure without the rim bottoming, which helps a lot for an adult rider over bumps and cracks and things found on normal pavement.
Old 2014-01-11, 08:46 PM   #11
wilsonov7
Rookie

first successful free mount...day 32

After about 3000(well, 13) tries today, I finally made a free mount. I'm finding it easier to mount it with the crank angled farther towards the ground and kind of rolling backwards just a bit. I tried the horizontal crank/jump with the other leg method over and over again. After this quick video, I did about 3 more successful free mounts followed by roughly 25 to 30 revolutions of easy riding, at which pointed, I ran out of breath and started getting cramps in my right quad. I thought launching off assisted by a wall was impossible up to about day 25, so maybe this is just a matter of perseverance, right?

Old 2014-01-12, 11:27 PM   #12
LargeEddie

Congratulations! That's a great achievement. I'm still trying different styles of mounts with different crank angles and different amounts of rolling either way. And when you get bored with that, try it with your feet reversed.

And yes, the burning quads phase comes next. Some of that is toning your legs so they last longer, more of it is getting your weight onto the seat instead of standing on the pedals as you ride. A whole lot is also getting smoother so you aren't having to make as many corrections with the pedals. But it all comes with time and practice, so keep up the good work.
Old 2014-01-13, 02:47 PM   #13
wilsonov7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
Congratulations! That's a great achievement. I'm still trying different styles of mounts with different crank angles and different amounts of rolling either way. And when you get bored with that, try it with your feet reversed.

And yes, the burning quads phase comes next. Some of that is toning your legs so they last longer, more of it is getting your weight onto the seat instead of standing on the pedals as you ride. A whole lot is also getting smoother so you aren't having to make as many corrections with the pedals. But it all comes with time and practice, so keep up the good work.
Thanks! I'm becoming obsessed with mastering the free mount. If I don't make it within the first 10 attempts, though, I gotta grab a wall or something. It has to stay fun!
Old 2014-01-21, 07:45 PM   #14
wilsonov7
Rookie

I just made a leap of faith and got a 24" Nimbus Muni. I just put it together. This tire is BIG!
Old 2014-01-29, 01:27 PM   #15
wilsonov7
Rookie

I'm now making about 8 out of 10 free mounts. When I do bail, it is usually right after getting up, so that is progress(I suppose!).

Tags
south