Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-03-14, 09:56 PM   #46
As Stupid Does
Unicyclist

Rolling mounts uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
After some threads on here about hill mounting, I focused on static mounting perpendicular to the road and instead of riding off, hop 90º towards the uphill. Don't you have with the rollback mount, that you will need additional force to stop the wheel from rolling further down? Btw how do you keep the pedals with a rollback mount and at what point do you roll forward? (of course I could check youtube, but it is easier if you tell )
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
The thing about rollback uphill is you don't have to put a lot of pressure on the pedal to make the wheel roll under you. Then I slow it down with the second foot, and block it once the pedals are at 9-3. Then I can just go forward with a good control. I should make a video, I've never seen one uphill. Again, I don't do that on crazy uphills - in that case I do sideways like you described.
I was just wondering, y’all must just walk if y’all are going to get anywhere when it’s uphill single track? If the single track is wore down to a ditch how y’all get going?

Maybe if y’all watch a few of Unimyra’s YouTube videos you could learn a rolling mount uphill.
https://youtu.be/0BoNLRIRQzc
https://youtu.be/x5Gd2X2Qcps
https://youtu.be/k88MdY4_XIA
Remember, he needs the income from us all watching his channel so he can keep ridding all those fancy unicycles he gets.
This same technique usually works for me on uphill mounting anywhere. If the trail is rough and rocky just rolling mount into a still stand and then hop or ride away.

Y’all have fun, it’s stupid easy, easy as pi!

Mama says,
“Stupid is as stupid does.”

As Stupid Does is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-15, 07:12 PM   #47
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Stupid Does View Post
I was just wondering, y’all must just walk if y’all are going to get anywhere when it’s uphill single track? If the single track is wore down to a ditch how y’all get going?

Maybe if y’all watch a few of Unimyra’s YouTube videos you could learn a rolling mount uphill.
A rolling mount uphill, means putting more energy in going uphill. Static mounting uphill already takes more energy as you have to hop op higher.

I used to do a rolling mount for a 36", but nowadays a static mount works just as well. I don't hop when mounting as Unimyra does, but I sometimes do before stepping off, just to see how it feels to hop with the big monster.

And yes mounting single trail, even when it is flat, I find difficult. I always wobble sideways when mounting. I think even if I were to try a rolling mount, as soon as Im on the uni, I kinda twist it a bit and if the wheel touches the higher sides of the trail, I will tumble off again. I mostly stick to wide dirt tracks, or if it is straight enough, single trail downhill without roots protruding.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-16, 01:21 AM   #48
mrfixit
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
This is taking for ever
Upping practice time to two hours.
If you want to do 2 hours, split it up would be my recommendation. 1 hour but twice a day. Have a couple hour break in the middle.
mrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-16, 02:34 AM   #49
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
This is taking for ever
Upping practice time to two hours.
When I began riding, I made an arbitrary goal to ride around the 1/4 mile loop of my neighborhood subdivision without dismount. I told myself that I was not officially "riding" until I achieved that goal. It took me about six weeks of more than 1 hour/day practice to reach that goal.

Having a big goal may have helped me progress as a beginner, but what I think was more important was getting some satisfaction from all the tiny, incremental improvements in my riding.

When you say "This is taking forever", I want to make sure you're loving the process of learning, not just the results.

IMHO, I think practicing 2 hours a day is great. If you can continue to improve even as you are getting tired out, that implies that a refinement of technique, an improvement in efficiency is happening.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-16, 04:26 AM   #50
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
If you want to do 2 hours, split it up would be my recommendation. 1 hour but twice a day. Have a couple hour break in the middle.
This wouldn't work for me.
Since I started I've systematically spent the first 20-30 min of each 90-min session at what felt like relearning everything (though this has gotten better recently) and made my best progress in the last 30 min.
Yesterday I extended practice time to 2 hours and I made even more progress in those extra 30 minutes at the end.
This has been a constant with me when learning stuff, whether physical or intellectual. When I push past the discomfort and then past the tiredness is when I see the best results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
When I began riding, I made an arbitrary goal to ride around the 1/4 mile loop of my neighborhood subdivision without dismount. I told myself that I was not officially "riding" until I achieved that goal. It took me about six weeks of more than 1 hour/day practice to reach that goal.

Having a big goal may have helped me progress as a beginner, but what I think was more important was getting some satisfaction from all the tiny, incremental improvements in my riding.

When you say "This is taking forever", I want to make sure you're loving the process of learning, not just the results.

IMHO, I think practicing 2 hours a day is great. If you can continue to improve even as you are getting tired out, that implies that a refinement of technique, an improvement in efficiency is happening.
I do set up goals, though they tend to overlap. For example, I wanted to be able to ride 200 meters but at the same time I was already practicing free mounting. Now I want to be able to (static) free-mount successfully 8-9 times out of 10 and I'm praticing idling along with it. Coming up goals are hopping and steering like I was born on that wheel.

About enjoying the learning process. I've seen posts where people said how fun had been their early learning. My experience of the first 3 weeks has been anything but fun. It was stressfull, infuriating and occasionally painful. Not my idea of having a good time. What kept me going was the prospect of reaching a level of control where I could start having fun. Thankfully, this is happening right now
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-16, 09:03 AM   #51
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
My experience of the first 3 weeks has been anything but fun. It was stressfull, infuriating and occasionally painful. Not my idea of having a good time. What kept me going was the prospect of reaching a level of control where I could start having fun. Thankfully, this is happening right now
I went through the same ordeal ... but unicycling changed my life! So persist!
your body and your mind (and your significant other ) will thank you for all that!
Happiness is a warm unicycle!
Old 2019-03-16, 09:13 AM   #52
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
So persist!
Will do Thankfully I have the mule gene.

Earlier I finished practice with a good 50% success rate at free-mounting Woot!
Old 2019-03-16, 06:40 PM   #53
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Will do Thankfully I have the mule gene.
if you understand the occitan language: Cap De Saume
(d'accord c'est du gascon mais le provençal devrait avoir quelque chose qui s'en rapproche)

Last edited by wobbling bear; 2019-03-16 at 06:44 PM.
wobbling bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-17, 10:13 AM   #54
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
Cap De Saume
I've no idea what that means

Tags
beginner, learning, milestones, progress