Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-10-01, 03:20 PM   #1
qiix
cliff

Jump mount for the nervous!

So I really would like to get a few simple (I'm an old man, lol) flatland tricks nailed, one of them being a 180 unispin. And, who knows, maybe a 360 if all goes well :-)

I've looked at a few vids explaining how the 180 unispin is broken down and I reckon I'm up for that. My only problem was that I found myself unable to just leap up onto the pedals - I'd stand behind the uni with the pedals at 3&9, breathing and getting psyched, but I just couldn't bring myself to take that 'leap of faith' 0.o

So I had a brainwave and put the uni against a wooden support that happens to be in my living-room! Awesome :-) No more fear of the uni shooting out in front of me and I had something to hang on to for the first few tries.

The first time I jumped I had the confidence to 'go for it' and I landed sweet :-) V pleased. I done that a few times, and, while I was at it, I also jumped off two-footed which, I think, will help when I eventually get round to trying the unispin proper :-)

I then moved the uni away from the wooden post, just an inch or so, and done it again. This time though, holding the seat rather than the support post, and trying to land on the pedals equally so the uni (and the seat) didn't smack into the post. Jump on, jump off. Repeat.

Moved the uni back another inch and done the same again. Next thing I know, I'm in the middle of my lounge and proper jump mounting :-)

Easy peasy. :-)

Suicide jump isn't gonna happen just yet, but another hurdle overcome :-)

Name:  IMAG0587.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  122.3 KB

Last edited by qiix; 2014-10-01 at 03:23 PM.
qiix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 04:46 PM   #2
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Jump mounting was a huge leap forward, so to speak, in my own skills progression. On a 20" wheel there is nothing particularly difficult about the jump mount, except for the psychological part. I practiced the jump mount on soft grass with shin guards, to avoid the pain of getting whacked in the shin when missing the front pedal. When I started learning the jump mount, I was riding seat-in. Attempting the jump mount into a SI position seems, in retrospect, harder than landing the jump mount SIF, as I typically do now. The other day I rode up a steep horse trail, UPDing several times along the way. I was able to use the jump-mount on the incline; if I didn't have this skill, I would have probably walked up the rest of the hill.

Back to the psychology of the jump-mount: If you can do it, you will be more brave about trying other things. By putting the most intense experience at the beginning of your ride, everything else seems not so scary. And your unicycling will be more interesting to you and bystanders if you learn a variety of mounts.

Keep up the good work!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 06:05 PM   #3
qiix
cliff

Thanks for those insights elpueblo. It was a defining moment, that's for sure! I feel that a bridge has been crossed, psychologically. I've just stopped playing/practising and I even got a couple of (very small) aerials done too! All in all a great session :-)
qiix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 07:56 PM   #4
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Qiix,

Unispins are not on happening any time soon for me. They seem to be a measure of success for a lot of young unicyclists. I am looking for an incremental approach to achieving unispins. First, I am going to try to get good jumping from the pedals, 90°, to standing on the tire. I can barely do that right now. Unispins and jump-mount are related, I suppose, because on some level they both involve jumping onto the pedals.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 03:45 PM   #5
blueharmony
Kenny Cason

Kudos for older riders learning flat skills!

For me the trick to learning uni spins was first learning to jump up, get my legs out as far as possible, then get them back in - landing on the pedals. The spin part comes later. Practice this with one hand on your seat handle and the other on a chain link fence or other stable platform.

Once you can do this while holding on to the fence try it without the fence. Build up to getting your feet out as far as possible, expect to miss the pedals a few times at first.

Then, when you try including the spin, focus on getting your feet out as far as possible (do you see a pattern here). If your feet get out far enough you won't have trouble hitting them on the wheel when it comes around. I also find it easier to to 180's with the seat pointing backwards, so you land with the seat pointing forwards. Could just be me.
Old 2014-10-02, 06:02 PM   #6
de Gallus
Multiple Hobby Disorder.

This is the part I am stuck on, the no-footer. I can't get myself to jump off the pedals. Weird.
de Gallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 02:48 PM   #7
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiix View Post
So I really would like to get a few simple (I'm an old man, lol) flatland tricks nailed, one of them being a 180 unispin. And, who knows, maybe a 360 if all goes well :-)

I've looked at a few vids explaining how the 180 unispin is broken down and I reckon I'm up for that. My only problem was that I found myself unable to just leap up onto the pedals - I'd stand behind the uni with the pedals at 3&9, breathing and getting psyched, but I just couldn't bring myself to take that 'leap of faith' 0.o

So I had a brainwave and put the uni against a wooden support that happens to be in my living-room! Awesome :-) No more fear of the uni shooting out in front of me and I had something to hang on to for the first few tries.

The first time I jumped I had the confidence to 'go for it' and I landed sweet :-) V pleased. I done that a few times, and, while I was at it, I also jumped off two-footed which, I think, will help when I eventually get round to trying the unispin proper :-)

I then moved the uni away from the wooden post, just an inch or so, and done it again. This time though, holding the seat rather than the support post, and trying to land on the pedals equally so the uni (and the seat) didn't smack into the post. Jump on, jump off. Repeat.

Moved the uni back another inch and done the same again. Next thing I know, I'm in the middle of my lounge and proper jump mounting :-)

Easy peasy. :-)

Suicide jump isn't gonna happen just yet, but another hurdle overcome :-)

Attachment 63935
And you also manage to take off after you've mounted? I've only started unicycling 3 weeks ago and I can use my bike as a pogo stick, which seems about the same thing as hopping onto it, but from jumping to sitting and riding away, turns out to be a big thing for me. So far the only working freemount for me is by having my dominant foot rest on the crank so the bike doesn't role away when mounting.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jump, mount, nervous