Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-01-09, 03:56 AM   #16
monkeyman
+dan's amulet of bling blingin'

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman Send a message via MSN to monkeyman
Bumped for the lazy bums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_chuck
Do not underestimate the giant yellow H-bomb in the sky!!
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 11:55 PM   #17
Dr.Gorilla
Unicyclist

sniff im a lazy bum

but thanks the tutorial seems great, im going to try it out tommorrow
Old 2007-01-10, 02:07 AM   #18
howdigetsogood
white power!

Send a message via AIM to howdigetsogood
i see alot of people like to rest there free foot on top of the crown, but i do not,just feels weired, i just like to dangle it off to the side. is that consider "unstylish" or "noobish"? cause if so, im still gonna do it who cares!
Old 2007-01-10, 02:49 AM   #19
one wheely
increase the peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdigetsogood
i see alot of people like to rest there free foot on top of the crown, but i do not,just feels weired, i just like to dangle it off to the side. is that consider "unstylish" or "noobish"? cause if so, im still gonna do it who cares!
Do whatever you want!
I find it easier to ride with it on the frame, so that's what i do.
When i was learning and i could only do under 8 revs i used to just stick my leg out in front of me, which made it easier to fall on my feet if i overbalanced.

Q: Why did the bike suddenly collapse from exhaustion?
A: Because it was two tired.

Why stroll...when you can... roll?
one wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 09:22 PM   #20
Wheel Rider
From the Over 50 Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdigetsogood
... i just like to dangle it (foot) off to the side. is that consider "unstylish" or "noobish"? ...
That's considered more difficult.

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease. - Voltaire
Wheel Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 09:11 PM   #21
skrobo
jumps stuff

Send a message via AIM to skrobo
Smile

i found it REALLY EASY to learn down a driveway, it took something like 5 minuites.
i think that any slight downhill will make the learning much easier.
i used the car to keep my side to side balance and let the uni roll, applying back pressure the whole time, then letting go of the car.

oh
and I learned w/ the foot on the side, rounded crown learner uni
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap

Last edited by skrobo; 2007-01-24 at 09:12 PM.
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 09:52 PM   #22
tobbogonist
Patronus unicycleus

For a rounded frame, just stick on some adhesive griptape, like that used on trailer sailors .
Old 2007-01-28, 10:08 PM   #23
thejdw
elcycinu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy912912
Awesome! Anywhere else to put your foot on if you don't have a flat fork?
On my 24" I just hold my foot in a rest it on the frame
Old 2007-01-28, 10:09 PM   #24
thejdw
elcycinu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy912912
Awesome! Anywhere else to put your foot on if you don't have a flat fork?
Old 2010-09-09, 03:38 AM   #25
unireed
Reed Breuer

i am writing up a small tutorial:
begin by taking off foot for one revolution--it will feel short, but you will know. just raise your foot above the pedal and wait for it to come around.
next work one two or three revolutions with your leg bent back 90 degrees.
after you can do that and continue to ride normally by placing your foot back on the pedal, put your foot on the frame. it doesnt matter what type of frame you have--it's possible. i often rest my foot on the quick release clamp, because i have a round frame and large feet.
riding with your foot on the frame is much easier, as you can stabilize yourself and you are more balanced on top of the unicycle.
ride faster and you will begin to ride smoother, but try to ride slowly as well after you lose momentum.
after you can ride as long as you like, try turning. you can learn quickly and will soon be doing figure eights.

for idling one-footed, just idle normally using only one foot for pressure, then move the top foot up to the frame. you can learn to idle one footed at the same time, before, or after you learn to ride one footed. i learnt after and it only took me a few tries. i found that it helps to let your foot on the frame touch the wheel, this way you can idle slower and more controlled. hope this helps!

I ride for Christ-opher Walken
unireed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 05:01 AM   #26
UNIDRAGON212
Trials...Jumpy Jumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Riding One-Footed

Ok, this guide starts off assuming that you have absolutely no idea what youíre doing when you try to ride one footed. Hopefully, if you follow these steps, (with practice), youíll be able to ride one-footed.

From here on, the foot that will not be pedaling, and resting on the crown, will be Foot 1, and the other one will be Foot 2

Stalling one-footed

One of the major things that helped me when I learned was to learn how to ďpullĒ the back pedal while riding. This is usually a fairly big problem when learning, because if you donít have enough momentum, and canít pull the pedal, youíll stall, and then fall off.

The best way to do this, is to find a mailbox, or something else about shoulder-level to hold onto. Your feet should be in the horizontal stall position, with Foot 1 on the front, and the outside, like this:

While supporting most of your weight on the mailbox, move Foot 1 up itís resting position on the fork. Make sure to get comfortable resting the balls of your feet on the fork, and not the arches. This ensures that your feet wonít rub against the tire while riding.

Next, when youíre comfortable with that position, slowly transfer your weight back to the seat, and use Foot 2 to pull the back pedal up towards you. Do this by bending your foot forward (so your toe is pointed towards the ground), and using your ankle and your calf strength to pull the pedal in the direction shown.

Due to gravity, and your weight on the pedal, right now all it will probably do is keep the pedals horizontal, but while youíre riding, being able to pull the pedal up like that while slowing down can save you from a UPD.

Now, go practice doing that. When you get good at doing that with the mailbox, try doing it while riding. Ride a little bit, then stall, snap your foot up, put it back on the pedal, and then ride away again. The only tip I can offer here is practice, practice, practice.

Riding One-Footed

Now, what Iím about to tell you might seem a little backwards, but itís how I learned, and it worked great for me.

When you finally try to start riding one footed, donít do it with your foot on the crown. Start off this way insteadÖas youíre riding along the street, just take Foot 1 off, let the wheel go one revolution, then let your foot meet back up with the pedalÖ.donít bother trying to put it on the fork, just let it go one rev. This helps you get used to the feeling of just having one foot pedaling the unicycle.

When you get to the point where you can do both of those skills (stalling with Foot 1 on the fork, and riding one revolution one-footed) fairly well, it becomes time to put them together. Youíre going to want to snap Foot 1 up to the fork as the pedal Foot 1 is on approaches the top, as shown here:

After you master doing one revolution, all thatís standing between you and riding one footed proficiently is lots of practice.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Yeah that's important. Make sure your foot is close by the cranks so if you lose your balance you can quickly adjust and start again. What helped me is to count how many times the pedal goes all the way around and try to get a higher number each time. But yeah great tutorial.
UNIDRAGON212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-04, 06:39 PM   #27
pierrox
Unicyclist

Google brought this thread up, but the pix have disappeared... anyone can bring some light? Or bring the pix back?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onefooting, tutorial