Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-02-21, 04:07 PM   #16
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytronic View Post
6 Month Follow - Up: Good So Far

Both the 1 and 2 bolt setups have been holding up fine under a lot of muni riding. I had one of the screws on the 2 bolt work itself loose, but lock-tite fixed it. Its possible that the bolt angle is to blame for loosening - the bolts are not totally perpendicular to the stiffener plate where they press into it.
1 Year follow-up: No Issues

Both the 1 and 2 bolt setups have been holding up fine under a lot of (mostly XC) muni riding with some high speed falls on the G26.

I decided to see how much weight I could drop by drilling out the reinforcement plate for my 1-bolt setup, and if it would noticeably reduce stiffness of the handle setup. I used a hole saw to drill 2 overlapping holes near the 4 bolt mounting area. This was where stress seemed minimal - I could draw a straight line between the lower plate mounting holes on the nose and the centered hole near the seatpost without intersecting my drilled area.

Result: Saved 12g and no noticeable reduction in stiffness. I did achieve a 100% reduction in my ability to ever warranty or return my stiffener plate though. This project is only worth the effort (30 minutes) if you are a compulsive tinkerer like me and just need to experiment on your gear now and then.
Attached Images

Last edited by caseytronic; 2018-02-21 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo, forgot to add info.
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-22, 12:20 PM   #17
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytronic View Post
1 Year follow-up: No Issues

Both the 1 and 2 bolt setups have been holding up fine under a lot of (mostly XC) muni riding with some high speed falls on the G26.

I decided to see how much weight I could drop by drilling out the reinforcement plate for my 1-bolt setup, and if it would noticeably reduce stiffness of the handle setup. I used a hole saw to drill 2 overlapping holes near the 4 bolt mounting area. This was where stress seemed minimal - I could draw a straight line between the lower plate mounting holes on the nose and the centered hole near the seatpost without intersecting my drilled area.

Result: Saved 12g and no noticeable reduction in stiffness. I did achieve a 100% reduction in my ability to ever warranty or return my stiffener plate though. This project is only worth the effort (30 minutes) if you are a compulsive tinkerer like me and just need to experiment on your gear now and then.
12gm is 1/1000 of 12 kg, 1/10 000 of 120 kg.
The saved weight is between 1/10 000 and 1/5 000 of your body weight and it's not rotational weight.
I'm not sure it is even worth a second of work, but it sounds like you are 100% aware of that.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-03, 08:32 PM   #18
caseytronic
Unicyclist

Ha! Yes - I sometimes post projects that didn't work or were not worth the effort so other people can learn from my mistakes.
caseytronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homemade, plate, reinforcement, wedding