Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-12-15, 08:44 AM   #16
qiix
cliff

Glad I could help you guys
qiix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 09:09 AM   #17
qiix
cliff

Learn to hop rem48! Then start hopping down kerbs/curbs... Then up them Before you know it you'll be bouncing up and down sets of stairs.
qiix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 01:31 AM   #18
rem48
just for exercise

should you be doing curbs on a freestyle uni? I can hop just fine but never tried stairs.
rem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 12:23 AM   #19
anton005
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem48 View Post
should you be doing curbs on a freestyle uni? I can hop just fine but never tried stairs.
Hopping up and down one stair or a curb should be fine on a freestyle uni. Just check it every now and then to make sure cranks are tight, spokes are evenly tensioned, and pedals tight. When you ride with any of those loose you can do damage. Actually those all should be checked from time to time regardless of riding terrain.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 04:29 PM   #20
blueharmony
Kenny Cason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem48 View Post
should you be doing curbs on a freestyle uni?
It also depends on the quality of the uni. If weighs 200 pounds and dropping off curbs on a Torker CX they are just asking for trouble. The hub, cranks, rim, etc were not designed for that.
Old 2014-12-24, 09:40 AM   #21
krjames
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Gallus View Post
This is the part I am stuck on, the no-footer. I can't get myself to jump off the pedals. Weird.
Here's the video to help, RTF have put out some very professional videos IMHO.
I'll be starting on this next week too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkFStHFjYmk
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 12:35 AM   #22
rem48
just for exercise

I really love this thread. we are all in a upper age group! ha! Anyway...update: got a 20" impact reagent flatland ( I think that's what it is called) LOVE IT!!! I really wanted to learn the jump mount too. I was terrified to just do it. I had my son in law hold my uni while I tried to jump on it in the grass. All it took was that one time and then I had the confidence to do it. Wouldn't you know though my shoulder surgery was the next day and have been rehabing since. I got cleared today to start riding again!! Cannot wait for weather to clear. I have yet to try jump mount on cement yet. I am thinking I might buy a helmet first. What do you all feel would be easier to do, one foot riding or a 180 uni-spin. I would love a list of PROGRESSIVE skills, that way I ease in to each new freestyle trick. Any suggestions???
Old 2015-02-27, 06:52 AM   #23
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Thanks, rem48, for re-starting this thread. I am curious why you got another person to hold the unicycle while doing the jump mount. You could definitely achieve an epic jump mount doing it that way. I've seen videos of people doing long jumps onto the unicycle...pretty cool.

I practiced under the street lamps last night. My typical jump mount was to hold the seat with one hand, then jump into a SIF position, taking an initial step forward before jumping. Last night, however, I practiced holding the seat with both hands, one on the front of the seat, one on the back of the seat, then jumping into SIF, with no preliminary steps, keeping both hands in the same position on the seat throughout the mount. This felt strange, because I suddenly had a much smaller runway for my jump. Then again, I figured, how much runway do you need to jump onto a 19" unicycle? Long story short, it felt weird, but I landed it every time. The fact that both hands were already on the seat prior to the jump...helped me to gauge the distance I had to travel onto the pedals, and it relieved a lot of the stress put on the hand and arm when only one hand is on the seat for SIF.

I have not practiced jump mounts into a SI position. Having to get the feet on the pedals AND the butt on the seat, all in one motion, seems like too much. Maybe lowering my seat to practice that would help (it probably wouldn't hurt, and by hurt, I think you know what I mean).

I mostly practice jump mounts on the grass.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 04:41 PM   #24
rem48
just for exercise

I had him hold the seat post and put his foot under the front of the tire so it wouldn't shoot out from under me. It really was a mental aide more than physical. I can remember if I do one or two handed. Will have to pay attention tomorrow. Still thinking I should get a helmet before going to the cement
Old 2015-04-19, 12:36 PM   #25
jazie
Unicyclist

This is a great thread! I never new what sif stood for as well as learning a great technique for jump mounts. Thanks fellas.
Yes I guess I fall into the older age bracket as well lol
jazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 02:48 PM   #26
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qiix View Post
So I really would like to get a few simple (I'm an old man, lol) flatland tricks nailed, one of them being a 180 unispin. And, who knows, maybe a 360 if all goes well :-)

I've looked at a few vids explaining how the 180 unispin is broken down and I reckon I'm up for that. My only problem was that I found myself unable to just leap up onto the pedals - I'd stand behind the uni with the pedals at 3&9, breathing and getting psyched, but I just couldn't bring myself to take that 'leap of faith' 0.o

So I had a brainwave and put the uni against a wooden support that happens to be in my living-room! Awesome :-) No more fear of the uni shooting out in front of me and I had something to hang on to for the first few tries.

The first time I jumped I had the confidence to 'go for it' and I landed sweet :-) V pleased. I done that a few times, and, while I was at it, I also jumped off two-footed which, I think, will help when I eventually get round to trying the unispin proper :-)

I then moved the uni away from the wooden post, just an inch or so, and done it again. This time though, holding the seat rather than the support post, and trying to land on the pedals equally so the uni (and the seat) didn't smack into the post. Jump on, jump off. Repeat.

Moved the uni back another inch and done the same again. Next thing I know, I'm in the middle of my lounge and proper jump mounting :-)

Easy peasy. :-)

Suicide jump isn't gonna happen just yet, but another hurdle overcome :-)

Attachment 63935
And you also manage to take off after you've mounted? I've only started unicycling 3 weeks ago and I can use my bike as a pogo stick, which seems about the same thing as hopping onto it, but from jumping to sitting and riding away, turns out to be a big thing for me. So far the only working freemount for me is by having my dominant foot rest on the crank so the bike doesn't role away when mounting.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 02:59 PM   #27
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazie View Post
This is a great thread! I never new what sif stood for as well as learning a great technique for jump mounts. Thanks fellas.
Yes I guess I fall into the older age bracket as well lol
I think "oldies" have a bigger urge to write it all in forums. Like feeling too old for riding a unicycle but yay it is so rad what we all can do. I am just annoyed that I never started 10 or 20 years ago. ^_^
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 03:24 PM   #28
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

There is a 9 yr. old kid learning to unicycle in my neighborhood. The other day I introduced him to the jump mount, suggesting that he stand over the grass to do it. The kid was able to do it pretty consistently within about a minute. What really struck me was how 'cool' the jump mount looked, as if suddenly the kid had style.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 02:01 AM   #29
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
I learned 180 unispins in two days, still working on getting them 100% of the time though. They really aren't as hard as the seem, getting over the fear was the worst part for me. Shinguards help with confidence, I have a friend who learns everything without them as a matter of principle, I don't know how he does it.

For jump mounts, I hold the seat one hand in the back, or two hands in the back, depending on how I'm feeling. For seat in jump mounts, I do either a "half" suicide mount, letting go of the saddle after I jump, but before I land, or I hold in the front.

Also, suicide mounts are all just about going for it, not too much skill involved, but it still scares me, and I learned it years ago.

Rem48, one foot riding might take more practice, but it is not as scary to get into, with no helmet, that might be the preferred option.
Here's a list of Flatland tricks in order of difficulty(subjective), also not all of these are strictly flatland

Hopping, Rolling hop
Ideling
SIF hopping
Jumping down curb, up curb
180 hop twist(make sure you don't short cut to 160ish and turn the rest of the way)
Frontspins, backspins(sorta like a really quick three point turnaround)
Seatdrop(I think that's the name)
Side mount
Legwrap
1 footed riding, ideling
Hopping on wheel, stall
90 unispin to hopping on wheel, 90 unispin back down
180 unispin
Seatwrap
Rolling legwrap

Order could be varied by three or four tricks, depending on personal ability and skillset. Also, if you have questions on how to do a trick, or what it is, ask me, some of my names might be different vs. the forum standard.

Last edited by Superbant; 2015-08-13 at 02:02 AM.
Superbant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 03:16 PM   #30
Leonbeyr
Unicyclist

I love this thread... just because I feel less stupid that I was so stressed to jump on those pedals.

Here's the story:
I've been riding for a six weeks and was quite lazy about learning anything else than plain riding for a while, to get a grip of the whole thing before adding any difficulties. As a result, I barely succeed in half or so of my freemount attempts, although I ride almost every day.

On Wednesday, I bought my 12 year old a quite plain unicycle, and he was rolling a few meters on Saturday. I showed him how to freemount, just so he could try and fail a few times and realize I was still ahead of him. Half an hour later, he was successful in 3/4 attempts.

I had to do something about it. I had seen a video on (seat in) jump mount, it seemed fairly easy: i) start jumping on the pedals while holding on to something, such as a handrail, then holding only the saddle; ii) land your feet on the pedals rather than your butt on the seat first, for reasons boys here do not need explained; iii) aim prioritarily for the front pedal so you don't launch the unicycle backwards and land on your face.

Fair enough.

Three attemps with the handrail were enough to build confidence: you land easily on the pedals every single time, and the uni doesn't move, so where's the problem? My second or third attempt without a handrail was successful and I could roll away, and leave my son with eyes wide open.

I still find freemounts are difficult, and only two of my 12-20 attempts at jump-mounting were succesful, but it feels a lot easier with a good incentive to kick the fear (which is the only real difficulty) out of you!

Phew. Now I have him thinking for another week that I'm more advanced than he is. What will it take next?
(Oh, I did stop the jump-mounting session last day after landing not on my feet, and unfortunately not quite on my butt either. Ouch. I hope I don't need to break both of them next time to impress my son ;-) )
Leonbeyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jump, mount, nervous