Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-11-25, 11:21 PM   #31
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Welcome to the forum, Leonbeyr!

Here's what I love about the jump-mount:

Unicycling is both very physical, and it involves a lot of mental energy to solve problems and figure out tricks. The jump mount typifies the psychological aspect of riding, for me. Landing on the pedals is not so hard, except of course if we psych ourselves out in the process.

I previously jump mounted directly onto the seat; later, however, I started raising the seat further, and jumping this way became scarier, because there was less clearance, less room for error. At the same time, as well, I developed seat-in-front skills. Now my jump mount typically starts out with both hands holding the seat, out in front, then jumping onto the pedals, landing with the seat out in front. I started practicing this technique on soft grass, but now I feel more comfortable performing it on the street.

Recently I've been practicing another form of jump mount. I hold the seat handle in one hand, to the side of my body. Then I jump diagonally over the unicycle, landing on the pedals and riding away with the seat behind me. Not as hard as it may sound; again, there is a psychological aspect at play. The athleticism necessary to land on the pedals is pretty minimal; just don't let go of the seat handle.

Jump mounts are great for conquering the inhibition of riding, and they are not particularly risky. My advice is to wear pads and practice on grass or dirt.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-15, 10:25 PM   #32
song
Unicyclist

This thread was what finally empowered me to make my first real attempts at jump mounts, landing and riding away from 3 of them (SIF) today with no problem. I have had SIF skills for at least a year, can hop up stairways SIF and can ride SIF (or SIB) at least 200 meters, so now it is suddenly clear to me that the fact that I have never before attempted a jump mount is just plain sad!

Oh well, one thing that's different today is that there was a conveniently-sized block of wood on hand to lodge under my rear pedal so I could practice a few no-risk jump mounts first. That made a difference psychologically. I had come close to attempting a jump mount several times before, but had always chickened out at the last second, so practicing with the block of wood allowed me to feel that something had changed. It also gave me an idea of how to kick my feet out before bringing them in to land on the pedals. Once I had landed a few jump mounts, though, I had to laugh at myself for having been so frightened of them before.

Salud!
song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jump, mount, nervous