Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Administration Forums > Requests, Questions, and Bugs on this site

Old 2019-06-01, 07:47 PM   #1
Stagehand
Unicyclist

Moderator approval

Quick question...

Why would my response to a thread be flagged for moderator approval when I have both started and replied to threads before without any approval process before?
I tried to post in Quote of the day (from non-riders)
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38668

Thanks...Sean

Last edited by Stagehand; 2019-06-01 at 07:52 PM. Reason: clarification
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-02, 04:11 PM   #2
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

People who don't have many posts yet get sent through a spam service and if it comes back as possible spam it gets flagged for moderator approval.
Old 2019-06-02, 05:17 PM   #3
Stagehand
Unicyclist

Thank You!!
Old 2019-06-19, 07:06 AM   #4
SteveO
Unicyclist

I find it very frustrating to try to join this online community.
  • at least one post got deleted without notice
  • every post so far got published delayed, sometimes after days
  • meanwhile some spam gets published from newly registered spam accounts and sometimes stays up for days
  • meaningful participation in active discussion doesn't work when posts show up late, while the dicussion has moved on
  • existing users don't even know about this hurdle, let alone how to overcome it
  • it's not written down anywhere how one can get accepted/approved/invited to participate meaningful without delays
  • oh, and Database Error seems to be this forum's second name, I just got reminded about that
Currently I wouldn't recommend to friends to go through the frustrating experience of trying to participate in this forum.

It would be really nice to know what to expect and how to get approved as a new user. Thanks for listening and hopefully considering these remarks.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-20, 04:41 AM   #5
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

My apologies for the issues you've had. Of the 138 new registrations in the last 24 hours that this site has had, only one of them I can identify as being a legitimate registration. All the others are likely spammers.

We have to send all the posts from users that only have a few posts through a spam service to help us determine if it's spam or not.

Yes, I need to upgrade this site, and I might not upgrade it to the latest vbulletin code, since it doesn't appear to have what we need to combat spam. It is the biggest issue to deal with in operating this site, in my opinion, since I have to deal with it every day I can, but I have a life and can't attend to it every single day.

I am looking at invisionboard as an option, which apparently has a better community-based spam filter where I can be offline for days and not have to worry about making sure spam is banned, and legitimate users get their posts through. I don't want to be the only person that looks it up every day I can (which is not good on those weekends or other days I want to be offline), so a community system would be preferred.

For those that have less than about 15 posts, all your posts get processed through the spam service we use. In your case, it does seem to be a bit more than normal, and I don't notice your posts made in the threads that have many posts like you posted in. I can only guess that your ISP has a bad reputation, or maybe you are just on a network that is commonly abused and therefore the spam filters caught your posts in our moderators queue.

As for spam that gets published. Please click the report link so we can quickly delete all these of spammer's posts.

Regarding the database error. I'm aware of it and know it's an issue. I will move the database to a different server in the next couple days, which should alleviate that issue.

Thanks for the extra push to get this all done.

Last edited by Gilby; 2019-06-20 at 05:06 AM.
Gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-20, 07:35 AM   #6
SteveO
Unicyclist

Thanks for the quick reply, Gilby, also for sharing some details about the spam-fighting/moderation system and especially what it currently takes to get fully approved as new user!

Also good that you ask for using the Report Post button. I would not have noticed it or assumed it was in use. That's the button, we are talking about.

Wow, that's a lot a spamming attempts. You are welcome for the push. Good luck with migration to a new server and system maybe. Thanks so far for keeping up this service!

Edit: of course it happened just now the first time, that my post was published instantly without moderator approval. Very well.

Last edited by SteveO; 2019-06-20 at 07:37 AM.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-20, 10:47 AM   #7
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilby View Post
My apologies for the issues you've had. Of the 138 new registrations in the last 24 hours that this site has had, only one of them I can identify as being a legitimate registration. All the others are likely spammers.
Thanks for the extra push to get this all done.
No, actually thank you for all your efforts for what must be a thankless task... that needs more thank you's.
BruceC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-20, 12:14 PM   #8
Stagehand
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
No, actually thank you for all your efforts for what must be a thankless task... that needs more thank you's.

Hear Hear!!
Old 2019-06-20, 01:09 PM   #9
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Edit: of course it happened just now the first time, that my post was published instantly without moderator approval. Very well.
You are now past the threshold and all your posts will go through instantly.
Old 2019-07-12, 02:55 AM   #10
battleshiplinoleum
Unicyclist

@Gilby:

It appears you are currently the only moderator of these forums. Are you?

Have you though delegating moderation to a few members of this active community?

I'm sure there are some who are willing to help and capable. Less work for you and shorter reaction times for the users - sounds compelling, doesn't it?
battleshiplinoleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 04:33 PM   #11
battleshiplinoleum
Unicyclist

I've posted another comment on that thread on 2019-07-11 that didn't get published (yet). (my 2nd comment in that thread)

Is my comment still in the moderation queue or did it get deleted?

Should I post it again? Is there any way I can see what happened to the held-back comment(s) I wrote?
battleshiplinoleum is offline   Reply With Quote