Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2017-04-29, 04:48 AM   #27
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Just did my first unicycle marathon.

East 30's around lower Manhattan and up to west 125th and back. Nimbus Titan 36er with 125's. Lots of lamposts when they were there, but a few critical freemounts that eventually took. About 2/3 of it after dark under a helmet light - sometimes I think it's only when the sun sets that I really hit my groove.

Looking back, it's surprising it took me almost two years to get here. After I learned to relax, overtrained doing Central Park loops in preparation for the Coney Island ride only to find it a breeze, I got through 23 miles at the end of my first summer, though an overuse injury to my knee in pushing that ride all the way home basically ended the first season for me.

My second summer I slacked off, rode less, and didn't have any real new achievements.

First real ride on the 36er I bought this Spring was 22 and change and I figured the marathon was within reach, but serious attempt at that fell far short. Finally after a rainy week couped up inside decided to go for it tonight, and even though I started barely an hour before sunset just pushed through and finally did it.

Guess now I have to plan my route for the big 30.

Tags
beginner, beginner fatigue cadence, relax, struggling