Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-26, 06:43 PM   #1
UuniBoy
I want a six pack...

Looking to move up to something that can go longer distances

Hi, I've been working on my 20" for a little under three months now, I can ride for about 2-3 minutes straight before needing to stop to catch my breath/adjust my seat/whatever. I'd like to move up to something that can handle going on the greenway or around town a little better and a little faster before I gas out.

I'm thinking about moving up to a 24" cruiser but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I'm also eyeing a 26" nimbus that is not too pricey.

Any suggestions on which to go with?
UuniBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 07:07 PM   #2
Fat D
Unicyclist

Hi UuniBoy,

Go for the 26". My fitness and riding ability improved almost overnight (and I'm an old fart).

You'll get the hang of the 26" and increase your distance quickly enough. The 24" will just be a brief stepping stone, so don't bother with it.

Anyway, that's my input. Lots of people on here with lots more experience than me. I feel sure you will lots of great advice.
Fat D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 07:10 PM   #3
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat D View Post
Hi UuniBoy,

Go for the 26". My fitness and riding ability improved almost overnight (and I'm an old fart).

You'll get the hang of the 26" and increase your distance quickly enough. The 24" will just be a brief stepping stone, so don't bother with it.

Anyway, that's my input. Lots of people on here with lots more experience than me. I feel sure you will lots of great advice.
That is what I did too, got the KH 26" and for a few months this had been a great uni for making up to 10kms. Naturally after you get that one and you feel comfortable, you will want to go bigger and faster, but for starters it is a very good choice. Also not too high, so still easy to freemount. Because the wheel is bigger, you will have fewer rotations and maybe it will help you not to have cramped legs too quickly. Today I used my 26" to ride to work, which is about 7km. For me it wasn't fast, but very relaxing to ride.
Happy riding!
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 07:40 PM   #4
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

The jump from 20 to 24 is 20%. A 24 will therefore go 20% further per revolution, or 20% faster at a given rpm. (Not perfectly right because the sizes are nominal and depend on tyre depth etc.) If you take the 20% as "about right" then you would go from, say, 5 mph to 6 mph at any given cadence.

However, a 24 with shorter cranks can be great fun. In my early uni-ing career I used to tear-arse about on a 24 with 102mm cranks and had a whale of a time. I had a 20 and a 26 at the time, but had a real craze for the short cranked 24.

A 26 is only a little bit bigger than a 24, but it feels a lot faster. This is because the wheel has more momentum, you're a bit higher up, and it rolls over small obstacles. It will be around a third faster than a 20 and you will really notice the difference.

In years to come, you will probably end up with one of every size. For now, I'd say a 26 is a big enough step to make the difference without being so big that it puts you off. Go for it.
Old 2018-06-26, 07:42 PM   #5
UuniBoy
I want a six pack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
That is what I did too, got the KH 26" and for a few months this had been a great uni for making up to 10kms. Naturally after you get that one and you feel comfortable, you will want to go bigger and faster, but for starters it is a very good choice. Also not too high, so still easy to freemount. Because the wheel is bigger, you will have fewer rotations and maybe it will help you not to have cramped legs too quickly. Today I used my 26" to ride to work, which is about 7km. For me it wasn't fast, but very relaxing to ride.
Happy riding!
That sounds good to me. KH seems a little pricey for me, but I see that there is a Nimbus II 26" that is much cheaper. Is Nimbus a decent brand?
Old 2018-06-26, 08:50 PM   #6
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UuniBoy View Post
That sounds good to me. KH seems a little pricey for me, but I see that there is a Nimbus II 26" that is much cheaper. Is Nimbus a decent brand?
Every brand has its pros and cons and has its fans and detractors. Nimbus is a respectable brand, as is KH. You won't go wrong with either.

My own current fleet includes KH24, 29 and 36 and an early Nimbus 20 and early Nimbus 24 and a Nimbus ultimate wheel — and I previously owned a Nimbus 36, so I have no axe to grind for either brand. They're both good.

If you really take to the sport, you will modify your unicycle(s) and add to your fleet. You will experiment with different seats, pedals, seats, cranks, and seats and try out different handles and seats. You will find what works for you.

If on the other hand it becomes only an occasional hobby, either a Nimbus or KH will be more than adequate for general riding.
Old 2018-06-27, 04:26 AM   #7
UuniBoy
I want a six pack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Every brand has its pros and cons and has its fans and detractors. Nimbus is a respectable brand, as is KH. You won't go wrong with either.

My own current fleet includes KH24, 29 and 36 and an early Nimbus 20 and early Nimbus 24 and a Nimbus ultimate wheel — and I previously owned a Nimbus 36, so I have no axe to grind for either brand. They're both good.

If you really take to the sport, you will modify your unicycle(s) and add to your fleet. You will experiment with different seats, pedals, seats, cranks, and seats and try out different handles and seats. You will find what works for you.

If on the other hand it becomes only an occasional hobby, either a Nimbus or KH will be more than adequate for general riding.
Thank you so much for the input. Looks like I'll be going with the Nimbus.

Unrelated, I've been shocked how much of a workout unicycle has been so far. Going back to riding a bike on off-days feels like nothing. If anything I see myself sticking with this to get and stay in good shape.
Old 2018-06-27, 07:09 AM   #8
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
I've been shocked how much of a workout unicycle has been so far. Going back to riding a bike on off-days feels like nothing. If anything I see myself sticking with this to get and stay in good shape.
You will eventually become a lot more efficient rider. Then you need to keep taking on more and more challenges to maintain the level. Find some hills and work you way through to steeper slopes or take on Muni.

My 26 is probably my favorite uni. It is hybrid with a Nimbus Dominator2 rim and Nimbus hub in a KH frame. It has lightweight Maxxis DTH foldable bead tyre that only weighs about 650 grams and 114 mm Nimbus Venture cranks.

It is small and very responsive making it good to ride among pedestrians without brakes but still capable of good speed due to the short cranks. Its light weight, substantial diameter and very flexible tyre makes it ride really well over bumps.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2018-06-27 at 07:10 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 08:26 AM   #9
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Unrelated, I've been shocked how much of a workout unicycle has been so far. Going back to riding a bike on off-days feels like nothing. If anything I see myself sticking with this to get and stay in good shape.
This only at the beginning. Before I was losing weight. Now even though I ride my 20km or some shorter off-road tracks, sure I get sweaty, but I've started gaining again. One's diet is just as important - I just love all those sweet things ^_^ I still ride nearly every day and my legs have become very strong, so I can also ride faster on a normal bike.
Most important to me is that unicycling is lots of fun and very addictive.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 08:35 AM   #10
Fat D
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
and I previously owned a Nimbus 36, so I have no axe to grind for either brand.
I was lucky enough to be able to buy Mike's old Nimbus 36er and love it. I've been riding for 10 months now and quickly settled on a KH 29er and the Nimbus 36er, although this might change.

£ / $ per smile is about as good as it gets with this sport. Don't fret too much about the initial cost as it will be insignificant relative to the enjoyment you get if you stick at it.
Fat D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distances, longer, move