Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-03-24, 12:54 PM   #241
gazza
Triton Bikes

Send a message via ICQ to gazza Send a message via Skype™ to gazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiserne hand View Post
specs of unicycle frames are very ultra top secret science, passed on from druids mouth to druids ear.

:d:d

Custom Titanium bikes and unicycles handmade in Russia
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 03:36 PM   #242
munirocks
GUnirocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirving View Post
I understand why.... how often to flanges break?
I don't know how often they do but I've heard of people bending or even breaking flanges on the older KH ti hub. The new one shouldn't have that problem, though.
Old 2010-03-24, 08:49 PM   #243
unicycler100
Names Jesse :P

Send a message via MSN to unicycler100
I hope mine don't. I got the older one for its looks etc etc. the new one looks alright but not as cool as the old one. other people will say other wise I know
Old 2010-03-24, 11:42 PM   #244
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Quote:
Originally Posted by munirocks View Post
I don't know how often they do but I've heard of people bending or even breaking flanges on the older KH ti hub. The new one shouldn't have that problem, though.
I've only heard of one broken KH Ti hub flange(the older model) and it was just a problem with this hub (this only hub). The guy got a new hub I think, I can't remember who it was but I know he posted it on the forums.
Old 2010-03-25, 03:33 AM   #245
aidanteleki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacuni View Post
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post some pics of my new toy that arrived a few days ago. It's the same 29er frame that dmitry posted pics of last week, but now it's been built up into one very sexy XC machine!!!

Starting from the top, the current specs are:

KH saddle with UDC carbon base
Adjustable KH seat post
Magura HS33 with spooner
Triton 29er with integrated seat clamp
08 KH Ti hub
Ti spokes
KH XC rim
Quax 145mm aluminium cranks
JC odyssey twisted pedals
Maxxis lightweight inner tube
2.4” Schwalbe racing ralph

Went for a ride last night, it's a smooth uni, handles like a dream, is nice and light and reponsive and is a breeze to climb with. Going to go for a big ride later today, so i'll post some pics and a ride review in another thread at a later date......Enjoy!!!
Shame on you for having a KH titanium axle with crapy nimbus cranks!
aidanteleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 05:24 AM   #246
unicycler100
Names Jesse :P

Send a message via MSN to unicycler100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_flans View Post
I've only heard of one broken KH Ti hub flange(the older model) and it was just a problem with this hub (this only hub). The guy got a new hub I think, I can't remember who it was but I know he posted it on the forums.
Was it Joe Dyson by any chance. I know he broke his one like not long after he got it I think.
Old 2010-03-25, 07:00 AM   #247
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanteleki View Post
Qu-Ax cranks.

Just because they are inexpensive does not mean that they are crap. I have those exact same cranks and they are really quite nice.

Makes more sense using the lightweight Qu-Ax cranks with the Ti hub than Moments when you are going for a light weight setup. I doubt he is doing 6' drops with it.

On the subject of the Exceed hub:

Aren't they made from a single chunk of titanium? in that case making the flanges as small as possible would mean that they could start with smaller stock and have less lath/mill work to do.
Old 2010-03-25, 05:20 PM   #248
bobousse
Galoupiot powered

Send a message via MSN to bobousse Send a message via Skype™ to bobousse
the exceed hub is not made in one piece, the flanges are welded onone side to the axle
the flanges are small so that they won't bend, and so that it's lighter
bobousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 08:20 PM   #249
aidanteleki
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Qu-Ax cranks.

Just because they are inexpensive does not mean that they are crap. I have those exact same cranks and they are really quite nice.

Makes more sense using the lightweight Qu-Ax cranks with the Ti hub than Moments when you are going for a light weight setup. I doubt he is doing 6' drops with it.

On the subject of the Exceed hub:

Aren't they made from a single chunk of titanium? in that case making the flanges as small as possible would mean that they could start with smaller stock and have less lath/mill work to do.
I jumped off a wall over another small wall to the ground and my left cranks bent badly with those cranks
Old 2010-03-25, 11:37 PM   #250
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
The exceed hub might be lighter, but you have to get a few mm more of spokes(I'm not even sure about that though).

Last edited by jaco_flans; 2010-03-25 at 11:38 PM.
jaco_flans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 01:12 AM   #251
dmacuni
The other unicycling geologist.

Smile Cranks

Quote:
@ aidanteleki: The Qu-ax cranks work great for the kind of riding I am doing on my 29er, which is mostly open single track, fire trails and some smaller technical runs. It wouldn't make sense to build up such a lightweight uni and then use heavy over engineered KH moments. Yes, Moments do have their place, but that's on my trials, and my 26" GUNI. In fact, I also use 114mm Qu-ax aluminium on my KH 36er, as I think they are the lightest ISIS crank option readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Qu-Ax cranks.

Exactly mate. +1.
dmacuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 01:39 AM   #252
aidanteleki
Unicyclist

Yes but if you always on the ground that does not mean that you need to be lightweight. So in a sense you don't need a titanium hub on anything bigger than a 26' because it is just a waste of money. So I say if your going to get a titanium hub then put some good cranks on it as well.
Old 2010-03-26, 03:23 AM   #253
Julia B
Flatland!

Did I miss where he said he had never hopped on his 29er? Even if he doesn't you can still feel the weight difference just riding around. If those nice lightweight cranks work well for what he's riding, why fix what's not broken and get stronger (heavier) cranks? A titanium hub with cranks like moments is ridiculous. Why spend the money on a super nice hub if you're just going to counteract the weight difference with tanklike cranks?

In a previous life:
2012 Women's Flatland World Champion

Team Mad4One
Team Unicycle.tv
Team Elevated Clothing Co.

Truth
Monarch
Julia B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 10:52 AM   #254
filotr14lsdude
-----

Quote:
Yes but if you always on the ground that does not mean that you need to be lightweight. So in a sense you don't need a titanium hub on anything bigger than a 26' because it is just a waste of money. So I say if your going to get a titanium hub then put some good cranks on it as well.
the reason people get the expensive things like ti hubs and such is because they like the bling FACTOR of there uni,and also because they can afford to spend endless amount on the things they love.

If you going to the extent of saving weight with a ti hub,its only 200g lighter.you can change so many parts out before the ti comes into play.but when you have exhausted all lighter options eg-tires,pedals,seat,seat post,frame and cranks you might have to spend big to for minimal weight.personally im waiting for the exceed hub to come out as im not a fan of the kh.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 07:10 AM   #255
mikepenton
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_flans View Post
The exceed hub might be lighter, but you have to get a few mm more of spokes(I'm not even sure about that though).
No, the flange width is less (same as my Koxx light hub) so if you're swapping hubs (and not the rim) you can use the same length spokes.
mikepenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, titanium, triton, unicycles, wurst