Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-10, 09:54 AM   #76
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
All looking great! The only negative is didn't you ride back to the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
For all these 24 days I've only practiced riding West to East, with the earth's rotation. I'm sure I'll need another month of practice to ride against the earth rotation...

Chief
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Hmmm, better not try north/south yet as the Coriolis effect can really throw out your unicycling. Actually, I don't even know how you northern hemisphere guys can ride straight at all.
Well done Chief!

Haha on the north-south and east-west issues.

Now you get to work on maneverability!
Old 2020-01-10, 01:59 PM   #77
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Hi,
This should be my final video-- day 24.
Chief! Your mount looks excellent! Congratulations on your progress. Looking forward to seeing you on the "thighs chafing" and "help me choose my next unicycle" threads.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-10, 08:39 PM   #78
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Hi,
This should be my final video-- day 24.

Static free mount and rode as far as I could before I had to stop due to exhaustion (which is unfortunately only a few hundred feet).
https://youtu.be/INMCwf_pV6g

I've been studying UniMyra's video on the static free mount and found it to be really helpful: https://youtu.be/yqWtEBgG300

In a thread discussing this video, UniMyra used the analogy of putting pressure into the seat and letting the unicycle lift him up, more like a pole vault vs. a jump. That concept really helped!

Chief
Superb progress you can still do more videos you'll be amazed at how much better you will get every week. You're only making a few hundred feet now but that's because you'll be very inefficient with managing your energy. After you start to relax and stop fighting yourself when you ride you will be able to ride indefinitely. Now is the time you just take your unicycle just about any where since you can free mount just throw it in your car and play around in any new place.

Once you get the hang of this one you'll be ready to upgrade to something bigger and learn almost everything again.
Old 2020-01-11, 04:59 AM   #79
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

My goal is to get to a 29" for road/light trail riding. There are a lot of great places for me to ride once I can manage more distance.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 09:16 AM   #80
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
My goal is to get to a 29" for road/light trail riding. There are a lot of great places for me to ride once I can manage more distance.

Chief
The 29" is a great all rounder I got myself the Nimbus Muni without a brake and it served me quite well. Has a nice thick 3.25" tire and you can ride on practically anything with it. It will look pretty intimidating next to your 24" but you should get the hang of it and your static mounting should transfer over pretty well just you'll need to add a jump to it.
Old 2020-01-11, 03:38 PM   #81
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

If I plan to do say 80% paved riding and 20% light trails (I'm talking dirt/fire roads, not real muni trail riding), would you recommend the 2.x" road tire or the muni version? I'm not doing this to commute or save time, more for fun and exercise.

Chief
Old 2020-01-11, 07:35 PM   #82
Unigan
Unicyclist

You would probably be fine with a road tyre since you're riding on pavement more and it'd be fine on dirt roads. If you plan to ride off the trails into rough grass or mud the thick tyre is great. It's also a lot of fun riding off pavement so I'd probably vote for a thick muni tyre because you're only limit riding on difficult terrain is how much strength you can put through moving the wheel.

But you could just buy 2 wheels and switch them out and see what you prefer. Besides if you really like riding on pavement and distance just get a 36" later down the track.

Last edited by Unigan; 2020-01-11 at 07:36 PM.
Unigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-12, 12:28 AM   #83
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Thank you
Old 2020-01-15, 04:11 PM   #84
Quax1974
Wobbly

"I'm not doing this to commute or save time, more for fun and exercise."

Then my vote is Muni all the way!

You'll quickly find that riding off road is a fun exercise.
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-16, 02:44 AM   #85
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax1974 View Post
"I'm not doing this to commute or save time, more for fun and exercise."

Then my vote is Muni all the way!

You'll quickly find that riding off road is a fun exercise.
Maybe eventually. I work full time and go to grad school and have a family, so more time away at the trails is out of the picture for awhile. I have a nice paved bike path that follows a canal right outside my office at work, plus some nice bike paths right by house, so it will be paved riding during lunch break and a bit on the weekend.

Chief
Old 2020-01-16, 10:03 AM   #86
pierrox
Unicyclist

Agreed with my colleagues out there. A 29" with a Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tire is the way to go. It's a tire happy on the trails and the roads.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-16, 12:33 PM   #87
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Maybe eventually. I work full time and go to grad school and have a family, so more time away at the trails is out of the picture for awhile. I have a nice paved bike path that follows a canal right outside my office at work, plus some nice bike paths right by house, so it will be paved riding during lunch break and a bit on the weekend.

Chief
yeah having family is bad. they take away precious unicycle time when they don't (dare/care to) ride themselves. I generally only manage to ride every Saturday. Just too little. Uhm work is needed to get money to buy new unicycles
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-17, 07:17 PM   #88
mrfixit
Unicyclist

For fun and exercise, stay off the road! ride the sidewalk, or the grass next to the sidewalk, or next to the curb, or next to the path, or make your own.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 07:22 PM   #89
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
If I plan to do say 80% paved riding and 20% light trails (I'm talking dirt/fire roads, not real muni trail riding), would you recommend the 2.x" road tire or the muni version? I'm not doing this to commute or save time, more for fun and exercise.

Chief
Due to a lack of unicycles with offroad tires to borrow, we had someone on a 29" with a road tire on our recent weekend Muni ride. Worked well for everything but steep mud, all the light trails (including a few roots and rocks) he was fine on. So my vote would be go for a street tire first (Schwalbe big apple or similar). If the trails you ride on are smooth and hard packed, there is really no reason to have an offroad tire, it will just suck your energy. Tires are super important on difficult terrain, steep sections, etc, and can make a big difference to the difficulty you can manage there. On fireroads/ smooth dirt roads, the only thing that changes is the effort you need to pedal, not the terrain you can manage.

Also guys, what's up with the "You should do Muni!" under every beginner post in this forum recently? Even if people have a very clear idea of what they want to do, it seems that someone is always trying to convince them that they should ride Muni instead, a bit odd I think..
Old 2020-01-18, 08:26 PM   #90
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Also guys, what's up with the "You should do Muni!" under every beginner post in this forum recently? Even if people have a very clear idea of what they want to do, it seems that someone is always trying to convince them that they should ride Muni instead, a bit odd I think..
Yeah, my opinion, leave muni till you can ride a uni with a hand on your handle the whole time, when you see rocks/tree roots etc, you must keep your hand on the sandle. You also want to have a decent ability to maneuver your uni. Muni is mentally and physically taxing and I think beginners shouldn't worry about tackling bumpy muni paths till they are proficient with smooth paths and can make all the turns they want while keeping a hand on the handle.

Tags
inspiration