Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-11-29, 02:57 AM   #1
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

Tubeless 36er

I have a tubeless setup on my MTB, and have stans sealant lying around, and time on my hands during the holidays, and I'm thinking of making the KH36 tubeless. However, I have not done this by myself before, so I have some questions.

Rim strip
I prefer taping as opposed to the split tube method. Is the 25mm wide stans' tape wide enough?

Valve
Can I use a presta valve, even though the rim is drilled for schrader? I have no real preference.
LoneReaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 10:34 AM   #2
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

I've run tubeless on my MTB since before any ready made kits were available - based on instructions provided by Stans before he sold stuff, so have some experience of non-standard conversions. I am in fact considering converting my 26" muni wheel using tape and a valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneReaction View Post
I prefer taping as opposed to the split tube method. Is the 25mm wide stans' tape wide enough?
All the tape needs to do is cover the spoke holes, so 25mm should be plenty wide enough provided the holes are in the centre of the rim - if they're offset then you might need wider. It does also depend on the shape of the inside of the rim though and how the tape fits in that - in general it's a good idea if the tape covers the whole of the well in the rim (to prevent it getting lifted when fitting and removing tyres), so that may be a bit narrow. As an alternative, is what Stans originally recommended for sealing rims before he started selling stuff - I've just sealed a couple of rims with my old roll of that, and it works just as well as the yellow tape, with the advantage that you can make it whatever width you need. I suspect I'll use that to convert mine as the yellow tape I have is narrow stuff for Olympic rims.

Quote:
Can I use a presta valve, even though the rim is drilled for schrader? I have no real preference.
It should be possible with one cut from a tube - I think all the proper tubeless ones will be too narrow to stay in place. Personally I'm looking at using a schrader as despite always being a Presta fan there's no particular disadvantage now I have a dual head pump (which is getting use with my unis - the only place I have schrader valves).

Last edited by aracer; 2011-11-29 at 10:35 AM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 02:24 PM   #3
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

Thanks for sharing that interesting fact. I'll see if I can find some of that scotch tape. It seems that gorilla tape is also very popular with mtbers.
Old 2011-11-30, 12:03 PM   #4
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

Finished my exams yesterday night, woot! I can't find any gorilla tape or scotch packing tape, so I will probably order 25mm stan's tape online.

Took the tire and tube off to take a look at the rim. Looks like 25mm is more than enough to cover the holes.

Original rim strip, 29mm

Mock paper rim strip, 25mm

Just for fun, weight of tire and tube.

Last edited by LoneReaction; 2011-11-30 at 12:04 PM.
Old 2011-12-01, 09:40 AM   #5
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

While cleaning out the rim to put stans yellow tape on, I found out that there is a join in the rim, and it doesn't look welded. It runs across the rim. Should I tape across the rim for that short section? Or will stan's goop seal the space in between?

Last edited by LoneReaction; 2011-12-01 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2011-12-01, 09:52 AM   #6
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
While cleaning out the rim to put stans yellow tape on, I found out that there is a join in the rim, and it doesn't look welded. It runs across the rim. Should I tape across the rim for that short section? Or will stan's goop seal the space in between?
Don't worry about it - the latex will easily seal any tiny airgaps in that. I've sealed rims with pinned joints like that and it's not been a problem.
Old 2011-12-01, 10:26 AM   #7
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Ken Looi (GizmoDuck) did a tubeless 36er - do a search for Diet Coker. Worked well for him (and saved some weight because Coker tubes are so heavy).

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 11:45 AM   #8
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Don't worry about it - the latex will easily seal any tiny airgaps in that. I've sealed rims with pinned joints like that and it's not been a problem.
Thanks for the super quick reply! As soon as I read this, I went to do the tape job.

Put the tube and tire back in, and will let the tube put some pressure on the tape. Waiting for the tube I bought (for the threaded schrader valve) to arrive. Should take a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
Ken Looi (GizmoDuck) did a tubeless 36er - do a search for Diet Coker. Worked well for him (and saved some weight because Coker tubes are so heavy).
Thanks. I see that He also made some guides On how to go tubeless, with rim strip or split tube method. I think he used Stan's rim strips, the ones made of rubber and has a built in valve. Hopefully the yellow tape works as well as those methods.

Last edited by LoneReaction; 2011-12-01 at 11:47 AM.
Old 2011-12-01, 12:00 PM   #9
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Thanks. I see that He also made some guides On how to go tubeless, with rim strip or split tube method. I think he used Stan's rim strips, the ones made of rubber and has a built in valve. Hopefully the yellow tape works as well as those methods.
It's definitely a bit more of a faff getting the tyre seated when using tape rather than a rim strip. On a DIY conversion with tape it's unlikely you'll be able to get a seat using just a track pump - I never have - so you'll need a compressor of some sort. Many people use a garage air line, and I know some people have bought compressors just to use with tubeless tyres. I made myself a compressor with a lemonade bottle:

In theory using just tape also makes it more likely that you'll burp the tyre with side loading when using low pressure - potentially a big problem with muni where you're hopping about, so I'll have to bear that in mind with my conversion. Not such an issue with a 36er I'd have thought. Other than that, no big downsides.
Old 2011-12-02, 10:16 AM   #10
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Regarding valves, as I wasn't sure I got some advice from people who might have actually done this - it seems presta should be possible
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...er-drilled-rim
Old 2011-12-02, 12:33 PM   #11
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

That bottle compressor is impressive!

I have a tube (part of my mini pump) that is schrader one side and presta the other, could use a tire to fill up a tire, lol! But I think I will just go to a nearby lbs and borrow their pump.

I've also read on mtbr forums that some people put a strap around the tire, to flatten it and push the bead towards the rim. Seems like a great idea, may make a floor pump much more feasible.
Old 2012-07-15, 04:25 PM   #12
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

I've finally started on the tubeless project again. But I'm stuck at inflating the thing. Went to a gas station to pump it up, but the air pump didn't give a continuous flow of air, only a bit at a time.. and it was not doing the job. Air is leaking out from everywhere. I need to find a rope to compress the tire with..
Old 2012-07-15, 04:33 PM   #13
bouin-bouin
Didier

try to remove the valve core with the specific tool, il should help
Attached Images

my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 05:04 PM   #14
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

I see, I will try that. I actually have the tool already. I used a syringe to inject the sealant.

Had to use a washer, the hole in the rim was too big.

Probably doesn't need the 2nd layer of tape, but just to hold the rubber down..

Last edited by LoneReaction; 2012-07-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:27 PM   #15
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I don't know that you'll get a good seal around the rubber tube "remainder" as the edges need to be covered with tape or it'll leak. A ghetto set up uses an old tube that is splayed open and then trimmed once the tire is seated; you might be able to use a 29' tube vs ruining a 36er tube. A tubless valve assmebly is designed to be used with the tubeless tape.

If it doesn't work out, consider a Foss tube, they work great, are super light, and flat resistant.

Post pics when you get it done.

Tags
36er, tubeless