Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-08-14, 01:22 AM   #1
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Omg!!!

I just bought a unicycle . In a moment of pure madness ... what have I done?
TwoLeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-14, 05:19 AM   #2
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

So far, you've spent some money. What's next? It could change your life.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-14, 08:11 AM   #3
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

I have just placed the order. It is yet to reach me. It's a learner's 20" from unicycle.com. Next I will be scouting for a quiet place preferable hidden from my neighbours' prying eyes in order to learn the sexy unicycle samba. Lots of hip movement yes?
Old 2019-08-15, 02:30 AM   #4
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLeftFeet View Post
Lots of hip movement yes?
You probably won't be thinking of your hips at all, but that's nothing to worry about. It will seem impossible. That's normal. Eventually you will start to DO the impossible and that's when the fun starts. Up until then, it's basically all work.

Lots to read is available in the main forum; best to start there and don't post much until you've read that and worked on it in your secret practice spot.

BTW, when it comes to it, you'll have to figure out which is your dominant foot. Do you think it will be your left, or your other left?

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-08-15 at 02:31 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 03:13 AM   #5
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
In a moment of pure madness
The moment of pure madness is when you ride your first single revolution.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 12:19 PM   #6
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

My dominant foot is my left, I think.

I will not be experiencing my first revolution for some time. Still waiting for the package to arrive.

At the moment, I have a bike helmet. That is the only safety equipment that I have. Don't plan to do stunts. So do I need safety items like shin guards, wrist protection thingy, gonuts protection?
Old 2019-08-15, 01:40 PM   #7
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Don't plan to do stunts.
Riding a unicycle at all is a stunt.

Quote:
So do I need safety items like shin guards, wrist protection thingy, gonuts protection?
Wrist protection is important unless you are a martial arts master who can fall from any position without involving your hands.
Old 2019-08-15, 01:57 PM   #8
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Ah ... I missed the boat on the wrist protection. I clicked my order, I browsed a bit and saw the Kris Holm glove wrist wrap thingy. By then the box was already out the door. These unicycle.com folks were very efficient.

p/s - do I have to answer the one "wheel" question every single time or is this just to torment newbies?
Old 2019-08-15, 02:15 PM   #9
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
p/s - do I have to answer the one "wheel" question every single time or is this just to torment newbies?
The intent is only to torment robots. The moderators should notice soon that you are not a robot, then you won't have to answer the question, I think.

Personally, I am more a fan of the roller-blade-type wrist protection, the ones with the plastic inserts. As a beginner, the unicycle shoots out from under you; I guarantee you'll go down on your hands at least once...and it only takes once. Not to scare you. Rather, I want you to feel safe (though as a beginner, you will not look safe to others).

Welcome to the forum!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 03:07 PM   #10
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
At the moment, I have a bike helmet. That is the only safety equipment that I have. Don't plan to do stunts. So do I need safety items like shin guards, wrist protection thingy, gonuts protection?
No.

When I first started learning, my shins got hit by the pedals a couple of times, so I bought some soccer shin guards, but after about a week, I noticed they hadn't taken a single hit, so I stopped wearing them. They were too hot anyway, and in KL, they would have been even worse.

Other than that, I have never worn any protective gear, though I would if I were practicing high jumps, unispins, etc... stuff you don't need to worry about right now.

I am not promising you won't get hurt, but you should be OK if you are careful, and even if you are not, your injuries will almost certainly just be small scrapes and bruises. As long as you find some flat open pavement and stay away from any walls or fences once you have your feet on the pedals, you will almost always land on your feet when you fall off.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 04:24 PM   #11
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Risk

Hmm...I think there is no one-size fits all solution and it depends on your attitude to risk, tolerance to pain, preference for feeling free vs feeling padded, most likely age and related bone resilience and lots of other things.

Me, I started a year ago and got all the padding I could get. Didn’t need any of it until last weekend when I came off while practicing the big wheel, couldn’t run it out and managed to bruise my knee (despite KH Percussions), split my thumb where it stuck out from the HillBilly half finger glove, put mayor ruts into my HillBilly wrist protector plastic thingmy (hate to think what that would have looked like on my palms and done to my wrists), bruised and cut my elbow after the 187 Killer Pads dislodged on impact, and put nice abrasions into my backpack when skidding out on the road.

So, for me, as another oldie entering this sport, it is body armour all the time.

Last edited by Tinkerbeau; 2019-08-15 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 10:01 PM   #12
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Oh God . I hope you recover fast. I will try to find out about the wrist protection thing that skaters use. From some of the videos I see, the wrist guards only protect the wrist, fingers are exposed. By the way, big wheels are how big? 36"?

I can live with some scrapes like song's experience.
Old 2019-08-16, 10:54 AM   #13
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Oh God . I hope you recover fast. I will try to find out about the wrist protection thing that skaters use. From some of the videos I see, the wrist guards only protect the wrist, fingers are exposed. By the way, big wheels are how big? 36"?

I can live with some scrapes like song's experience.
As a learner I got pedal bites on my calves a couple of times, fell on my butt once when riding, fell on an uncovered shoulder and scraped a lot of skin off it. So as a beginner, don't ride without shoulder coverage. Fell onto my hands a few times too.

As someone more experienced now, on a big wheel (36") I recently managed to UPD twice on slippery ground on inclines and declines. Wore very good elbow and forearm protection, really good knee protection, wrist protectors. My wrist protectors are quite scraped up now, but much better than if it was my skin. (The wrist protectors are the ones you get for skateboarders). I always wear a helmet. In my most recent UPD, my backpack took the impact when my unicycle flew over me. (Gravity).... Forearm guard (connected to elbow guard) was covered with dirt. Got a bruise nearly 10cm diameter just above my knee protector where something impacted it. I am so glad I was so covered up though. Ps. My new KH handlebar also ended up very wonky from that UPD. I don't know what forced that but some metal bent! Must have been quite an impact.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-08-16 at 10:55 AM.
Gockie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-16, 12:09 PM   #14
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Nooo ... its here!! Shipping was really fast. I am definitely not prepared. Its heavier than I imagine it to be.

I have assembled the sucker. Pumped the tires. I tried mounting the unicycle besides a wardrobe in my room barefooted. That was dumb. Had my first fall. Yea. That thing is squirrelly. It wants to shoot off in multiple directions from under me.

I have yet to order the wrist guard.

The tire range is 45 to 75 psi. Right now I have about 70 psi on the tires. Is that too high?
Old 2019-08-16, 12:19 PM   #15
TwoLeftFeet
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
As a learner I got pedal bites on my calves a couple of times, fell on my butt once when riding, fell on an uncovered shoulder and scraped a lot of skin off it. So as a beginner, don't ride without shoulder coverage. Fell onto my hands a few times too.
<snip>
What is shoulder coverage? I think I will not ride bare chested . Will have t-shirt on.

Tags
omg