Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-09-23, 04:18 PM   #8236
BenSimons
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Hey, you're from Onalaska, where my grandparents grew up and my dad spent his summers as a kid! It was also our destination for many summer vacations in my youth, as well as a few Christmases (brrr!). In my early years of unicycling, I rode my 6' Giraffe up Grandad's Bluff on New Years Day, 1981. Minimal ice on the road that day...
Crazy! I never expected to run into people who were familiar with Onalaska here, but you're the second. I actually have a close friend who lives in Onalaska with the same name as yours, but there's no relation I'm sure. What are the odds of that?
BenSimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 12:47 AM   #8237
mrfixit
Unicyclist

You might want to check you back tire.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 07:09 AM   #8238
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Onalaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSimons View Post
Crazy! I never expected to run into people who were familiar with Onalaska here, but you're the second. I actually have a close friend who lives in Onalaska with the same name as yours, but there's no relation I'm sure. What are the odds of that?
I believe that JimT (active member on here) lives near Onalaska.
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 01:50 PM   #8239
aj1500
Unicyclist

I was at the park yesterday afternoon and was back at the car switching uni's from the 24 to the 29, guy pulls up gets out of his truck with his dog looks at me and says, well it's good to see you lead such a balanced life needless to say I had to stop and chat with him for a few minutes before I headed out again
Old 2019-10-05, 02:37 AM   #8240
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

Two mountain bikers passing me. When they thought they were out of hearing distance one biker said: „Maybe you can ask him for his unicycle and then ride it downhill, hahahaha!“
Old 2019-10-05, 01:27 PM   #8241
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Two women out walking the dog observed my wobbly riding in the park.
"Very impressive. But I am intrigued - how do you get off the thing?"
I assured them that this was not usually one of my bigger problems.
They also thought that I must be super-fit and we agreed that unicycling is probably better core exercise than pilates.
Another interesting conversation typical of what I normally get in Glasgow; genuinely interested and encouraging comments. Miserable weather; nice people.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 02:31 PM   #8242
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
and we agreed that unicycling is probably better core exercise than pilates.
A lot of non-riders say this, and I usually answer "Yeah, in the beginning it was." Once your riding gets a bit smoother, unicycling becomes less and less of a workout, unless you start practicing weird tricks.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 05:10 PM   #8243
Setonix
Unicyclist

Today I had what someone here on the forum also had, though I don't remember who. I was riding in the forest and when I rode past some mushrooms red with white spots, I decided to take some pictures of them, but then 2 women were jogging towards me. As she saw my uni on the floor she asked "Are you ok?" and I said "sure of course" and then she looked a bit closer to the uni and was like "ahh" and jogged on again.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 01:23 PM   #8244
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

This morning a mountain biker yelled out “Its official, Im not cool anymore!”
WeaponizedBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 01:40 PM   #8245
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponizedBacon View Post
This morning a mountain biker yelled out “Its official, Im not cool anymore!”
Maybe he never was.
Old 2019-10-09, 02:01 PM   #8246
aj1500
Unicyclist

had a bit of a strange one the other day, was riding along and came up on 2 ladies coming towards me, I was messing around and UPD'ed in front of them
I was in dirt so I slipped and fell. as they got close enough and I was standing up laughing one of them said it scares me to death to watch you ride that thing, it must be the mother in me
Old 2019-10-09, 02:12 PM   #8247
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
had a bit of a strange one the other day, was riding along and came up on 2 ladies coming towards me, I was messing around and UPD'ed in front of them
I was in dirt so I slipped and fell. as they got close enough and I was standing up laughing one of them said it scares me to death to watch you ride that thing, it must be the mother in me
HAHAHA funny. That is always the nightmare of riding when there are other people around.
I had that happen near a mountainbike track and a group of them were gathering to go for a ride, but I wanted to go before them. Only 50 metres in I UPDed, so I bowed to them an walked out of view and tried again
Old 2019-10-14, 06:40 AM   #8248
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
I would respond with "You should let her out; that can't be healthy."

I got an odd one today on the bike path. From a passing Road biker: "Is that the one that coasts?"
Me: ??? Maybe I've talked to this guy before? All you roadies look alike. Uh, "That would be bad".
Bicyclist: "Is that because it would be hard to control?"
Me: "It would be like sitting on top of a watermelon seed, and not knowing which way it's going to shoot out."

Other comment, from a lady on a bike going the other direction: "Looks like you lost part of your bike, Eh?"
Me: (to myself: That's a different phrasing; surely opens things up for a wider variety of responses. Uh...) "Yeah, the bad part."
That wasn't very good at all. Upon more thought, I might say "Yeah, the training wheel and some extra weight."

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-14, 01:36 PM   #8249
Setonix
Unicyclist

Usually the best come-backs just take a bit too much time to out to passers-by about the missing wheel. Most of the time I just thank them or with a bit more time I say that my ex has the other wheel. Or when I'm annoyed by the cliché, I just ignore them.
Old 2019-10-15, 04:39 AM   #8250
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
HAHAHA funny. That is always the nightmare of riding when there are other people around.
I had that happen near a mountainbike track and a group of them were gathering to go for a ride, but I wanted to go before them. Only 50 metres in I UPDed, so I bowed to them an walked out of view and tried again
Ain't that the truth. Reminds me of the time I was part of the group riding the San Francisco Unicycle Tour (2006). We're in Chinatown, waiting at a light, to cross an intersection that passes under a big, ornate Chinese gate, and then up a relatively steep hill. I wanted to get up ahead of the group to take a picture of everyone riding up past that gate, but I hit the hill with too much forward lean and ate it, big time. Credit to the photographer here, Nathan or Jess Riegel? You can see my wheel in mid-flight in front of Beau Hoover. I rolled over and broke my phone (a T-Mobile Sidekick!). A very public display of messing up...
Attached Images

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle