Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2020-01-11, 01:56 PM   #1
m00ms
Unicyclist

Smile my static freemount

hi all,

after many years doing roll back mounts and struggling to do static mounts i have kind of got it now so i thought my tips might be of use to others in similar postion.

i struggled to get my head around how to lift second foot off the ground without putting weight on the first pedal. i found if you put weight on the first pedal uni comes backwards and if you put weight on your bum uni moves forwards so its all about doing both together to stall the uni briefly.

i found that by standing behind uni with first foot on the pedal and doing a small push forward whilst jumping up but not trying to get on the uni you can feel it stayed still.i kept doing little push hops whilst playing slightly with timing of the push and how hard to push forward to get the feel for it staying put.

once i got better at the push hop i played with trying to get onto uni and played with pedal angles as ive found that horizontal didnt work for me,i now do first pedal down slight say about 8 oclock postion then push forwards whilst hop up and hey presto im on and pedal off!

another thing i found is try with different sized unicycles as i spent ages on my 20" as there are meant to be easiest and got nowhere.i still cant do it on 20" but do fine on a 26 muni and hatchet which comes up at almost 29"

i understand that everyone will find there way to learn but hopefully if others can benefit from time spent then happy days.

Last edited by m00ms; 2020-01-11 at 01:58 PM.
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 03:01 PM   #2
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

Mounting my Uni.

+1

this mount and my own reminds me of the invisible
"Step over the box challenge"
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 04:04 PM   #3
JimT
Unicyclist

I find that the small push forward whilst jumping up becomes even more important with larger wheels. On my 36er and most others that I look at closely do put a considerable down force on the leading foot to help with a boost up. That extra boost up helps some with a static mount and even more with a rolling/running mount.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-13, 06:58 PM   #4
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
put a considerable down force on the leading foot to help with a boost up.
"Break the egg," every single time.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-13, 10:54 PM   #5
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ms View Post
i found if you put weight on the first pedal uni comes backwards and if you put weight on your bum uni moves forwards so its all about doing both together to stall the uni briefly.
.......another thing i found is try with different sized unicycles as i spent ages on my 20" as there are meant to be easiest and got nowhere.i still cant do it on 20" but do fine on a 26 muni and hatchet which comes up at almost 29.
+1 on both.
UniMyra describes this very nicely in his video, too. Thinking of it as going over rather than on top of the uni also helped me a lot. And I too somehow find this easier with slightly larger 24 or 26 inch wheels; must be due to more inertia in the wheel, making the balancing of forces that bit easier.

I recently but a (short) handlebar on my muni and whilst this initially felt weird it certainly helped mounting. I assume due to the hand being further front with a better angle to apply pressure onto the saddle thus adding to the “bum pressure”.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 09:11 AM   #6
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
i struggled to get my head around how to lift second foot off the ground without putting weight on the first pedal. i found if you put weight on the first pedal uni comes backwards and if you put weight on your bum uni moves forwards so its all about doing both together to stall the uni briefly.
I remember struggling with this when I was learning to mount. It seemed like a very delicate balance that was hard to get.

Much later on, after learning lots of other unicycling skills, I noticed something. It's not a question of balancing forces if you don't move your knee joint. In other words, don't straighten, don't compress, just leave your knee at the same angle until you get up where you want to be.

Does this make it any easier? Probably not, but it might work for you, I think part of the reason I figured this out was because later on, my legs were stronger and had a lot more experience making all the pedaling motions involved in unicycling. I had the power to just make my leg stay put.

But you can try it and see if it helps.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 09:35 AM   #7
Setonix
Unicyclist

I think in my case when I want to static mount, I never know in my head how hard I have to jump. As I mount I feel my foot get to the pedal and feel safe, so I can take off, but it is never the same. Occasionally when I hop on, I sort of balance in the air before leaning forward to take off. That actually gives me time to get my bearings, but other times I jump too fast and just hop over the uni.
Especially when riding different wheel sizes, the first hop will always be over, so I know where the balance point is. The 29" seems to be the sweet point and I can get on 100% of the time. Smaller wheels are too twitchy and bigger wheels I have to jump higher, which make it more difficult for me.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 02:44 PM   #8
BHChieftain
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
It's not a question of balancing forces if you don't move your knee joint. In other words, don't straighten, don't compress, just leave your knee at the same angle until you get up where you want to be.
Between UniMyra's video and this concept this has really worked for me
Chief
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-14, 11:20 PM   #9
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I remember struggling with this when I was learning to mount. It seemed like a very delicate balance that was hard to get.

Much later on, after learning lots of other unicycling skills, I noticed something. It's not a question of balancing forces if you don't move your knee joint. In other words, don't straighten, don't compress, just leave your knee at the same angle until you get up where you want to be.

But you can try it and see if it helps.
It did for me, too. I think the knee-advice was mentioned before and it all works much better and consistently since I started my mounting mantra: “over the uni, pressure on saddle, knee fixed, over the uni, pressure on saddle, knee fixed, over the uni, pressure on saddle, knee fixed...”. These three things together make the difference for me and I notice immediately when I get lazy and forget one aspect.

Last edited by Tinkerbeau; 2020-01-14 at 11:21 PM.
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 03:39 PM   #10
m00ms
Unicyclist

Hi all,

I have been trying to tidy up my static mount, i am making progress and can now do it on my 20"

I am finding that the important thing for me is the push forward which needs to be a strong confident push although if done correct the uni doesnt actually move forward but gives me a solid step up.

I am not holding on to seat but have seen that some people do and do not hold the seat during the static mount,is it better to hold on to the saddle with hand or not ?

thanks
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 04:29 PM   #11
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I say hold the saddle for a lot more control.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 04:30 PM   #12
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

When static-mounting I hold the seat with both hands just for the step up. I immediately let go of one or both to help balance myself.
I can also mount using either a single hand or none with no particular difficulty but it feels weird.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 06:20 PM   #13
Setonix
Unicyclist

I always hold the seat with one hand, and as soon as im on i let go to gain balance then take off and hold the seat or handlebar. While mounting i often hang towards the left instead of stright forward so i need some space to take off
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 08:45 PM   #14
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I am not holding on to seat but have seen that some people do and do not hold the seat during the static mount,is it better to hold on to the saddle with hand or not ?
I currently mount with both hands on the saddle 100% of the time. After reading some discussion about mounting, I practiced mounting with both hands in the air the other day and found it quite difficult. As far as I am concerned, there is "no going back" to the old way of mounting.

Arms in the air create a win/lose situation. You win balance, but you lose stability. The loss of stability makes you need your arms for balance. The only way to overcome this is to keep your hands on the seat, fight the urge to throw them up for balance. Yes, it'll feel like a step backwards, resulting in many, many failed mounts, but you will force yourself to get your balance into your hips.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-18, 09:18 PM   #15
Gockie
OMG I rode a 5 foot giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I currently mount with both hands on the saddle 100% of the time. After reading some discussion about mounting, I practiced mounting with both hands in the air the other day and found it quite difficult. As far as I am concerned, there is "no going back" to the old way of mounting.

Arms in the air create a win/lose situation. You win balance, but you lose stability. The loss of stability makes you need your arms for balance. The only way to overcome this is to keep your hands on the seat, fight the urge to throw them up for balance. Yes, it'll feel like a step backwards, resulting in many, many failed mounts, but you will force yourself to get your balance into your hips.
I agree with you

Tags
freemount, static