Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-09-30, 01:42 PM   #31
song
Unicyclist

The Big Apple 29 x 2.0 tire I've got on a 42mm rim has not given me any trouble at all, whether at 25 psi or at slightly above the recommended maximum of 70 psi. I once rode an identical Nimbus road uni with a 2.35 Big Apple, and it was nice, too, giving a slightly larger wheel diameter and, I suppose, better possibilities for hopping, though someone told me the fatter tire would be one of those ones that on a cambered road would make me dance the Twist to go in a straight line. That's not a huge problem on a 20, but on a 29, it would be very annoying.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-30, 03:16 PM   #32
pstrick
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
...though someone told me the fatter tire would be one of those ones that on a cambered road would make me dance the Twist to go in a straight line. That's not a huge problem on a 20, but on a 29, it would be very annoying.
I can attest to the 2.35" Big Apple having a problem with road crown on my 26er. The 2" on my 42mm Dominator rim on the 29er as I previously posted hasn't been a problem at all.
Old 2014-09-30, 11:45 PM   #33
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

To anyone that is looking for a good road tire for a wide 29er rim, I saw that Maxxis makes a 29x2.5 Hookworm. The Hookworm has an *excellent* track record among unicyclists and would be the tire IMO if you have a 42+mm tire.
Old 2014-10-02, 05:36 AM   #34
HudsonAktau
Гудзон

Send a message via ICQ to HudsonAktau Send a message via Skype™ to HudsonAktau
I was looking for road and XC tire (our XC is sand, small stones and small bushes). Stopped on Big Apple 29x2.35 on my KH Freeride rim.
Now some scary facts:

I bought Foss tube and installed with Big Apple in the evening (this was first time I got new Big Apple tire on) about 4AM it blows soooo loud. Took off tire from rim:

In the morning I was going for the ride so I replaced blown Foss tube with regular one and went. From then - everything is perfect.
Riding about 3Bar - it bouncing very good and rolling resistance is very low.

Love this tire!

Old 2014-10-02, 04:46 PM   #35
pstrick
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonAktau View Post
I was looking for road and XC tire (our XC is sand, small stones and small bushes). Stopped on Big Apple 29x2.35 on my KH Freeride rim.
Now some scary facts:

I bought Foss tube and installed with Big Apple in the evening (this was first time I got new Big Apple tire on) about 4AM it blows soooo loud.
Yeah- when mine blew off my rim with a foss tube it was so loud I thought someone shot a gun in the house!

Last edited by pstrick; 2014-10-02 at 04:47 PM.
pstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 03:45 AM   #36
Killian

Still haven't found a good solution to this problem. I have a 2.0 big apple on a kh xc rim that blew off at about 50ish psi. I just don't trust it now. Is there a good tire in the 2.3 range? I'd get the bigger big apple but I'm concerned with the auto steer.

Last edited by Killian; 2014-12-29 at 03:45 AM.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 05:04 AM   #37
Killian

Meh, I just got a Halo twin rail. Hopefully it stays the hell on.
Old 2014-12-29, 05:21 AM   #38
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Sorry I don't have an answer to your query but how's the Marathon Supreme / Velocity Dyad combo on your 29" Road unicycle? I'm interested because I have a Big Apple on a Dominator Rim. So far [knock on wood] I've had no problems with it blowing off but I always keep these incidents in mind. I wonder if the BA would be better on narrower rim. Not sure what would be the best one. But it seems like you no longer want a narrower rim.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 05:34 AM   #39
Killian

The narrow rim is great, you just can't run maggies. On this particular unicycle, I'm using maggies and really don't want to rebuild the wheel (schlumpfed).

The Dyad/Marathon combo has been excellent and problem free.
Old 2014-12-29, 06:24 PM   #40
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Halo Twin Rail is great I've had some quality-related issues with mine but I've seen others online who have ridden them for 2 years or more and they've stayed working. Just be warned, it's a very heavy tyre. But if you pump it up hard, you can ride purely on the two 'rail' things and it'll feel like a skinny for the road!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 09:23 PM   #41
Biped
Ischial Tuberitus

I've had the Big Apple and Marathon Supreme both blow off my 47mm KH 29er rim. The uni was in a room adjacent to our front door. The wife and I were in the living room... we thought a home invasion was in progress.

I started with the BA but found the road crown issues to be an issue. The MS is much better at handling the crown.

Either tire will hold the rim at low pressure, but will blow off the rim at "normal" pressure. It's been a while since these tires have been mounted so I can't quantify "normal", probably anything above 40psi.

One day I'll get a narrow rim and build a new wheel for road riding. It's low priority since I do most road riding on a 36er. I have a KH rim with a nice Bontrager 'tweener tire I bought at a muni fest that I use for XC.

I just built a 65mm LM light wheel and stuck a 3.5" Vee Speedster. It's a great tire to hop on (like jumping on a bed) but will take some time before I can say I can ride it in a straight line. I haven't tested it off pavement yet.

Tags
rim, road, tire, wide