Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-01-22, 08:20 AM   #1
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

YouTube: No soup for you!

What do you think about the new YouTube rules?

Small channels (me) can no longer can make any money on videos. I thought this was one of the cool things about YouTube, and they are even saying so themselves: "One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money".

E-mail for YouTube:

What's Changing

Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, UniMyra, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.

The YouTube Team

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42716393
Old 2018-01-22, 02:41 PM   #2
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I wonder how the youtube community is going to respond to this. Are they going to stop posting videos, or are they going to try harder to make more popular videos. UniMyra, your videos are excellent. Unicycling, unfortunately, isn't that popular. Cats falling into toilets, that's popular.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 02:02 AM   #3
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
What do you think about the new YouTube rules?

Small channels (me) can no longer can make any money on videos. I thought this was one of the cool things about YouTube, and they are even saying so themselves: "One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money".

E-mail for YouTube:

What's Changing

Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, UniMyra, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.

The YouTube Team

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42716393
Had you gotten paid much in the past from youtube?

They say “99% of those affected were making less than $100 per year in the last year, with 90% earning less than $2.50 in the last month.

Is there some other benefits from the partner program that you will miss out on?
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-23, 01:51 PM   #4
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
Had you gotten paid much in the past from youtube?

They say “99% of those affected were making less than $100 per year in the last year, with 90% earning less than $2.50 in the last month.

Is there some other benefits from the partner program that you will miss out on?
Since beeing accepted as a YouTube partner in 2015 I have earned $40, which means I was almost half way to my first paycheck ($100). My channel don't have much potensial. I typically get 4-500 views on my videos, so there is no economic loss for me, but in a childish way it was fun to make symbolic money on videos.
Old 2018-01-31, 10:52 PM   #5
song
Unicyclist

You do make some fun videos, Unimyra. I hadn’t seen them before. Your story about You Tube coincides with a massive new campaign of Internet censorship. Google (the owner of You Tube) and other social media giants are currently hiring thousands of new people to police the Internet. Other than the revolutions made by your wheel, your unicycle videos are not political, but having all those new employees on board makes it possible for You Tube to do all sorts of stuff they probably wanted to do for a long time but didn’t bother with before.

If you are really curious about this, it is reported here with a pseudo-Trotskyist perspective, and here, in the financial news.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-01, 12:54 AM   #6
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
You do make some fun videos, Unimyra. I hadn’t seen them before. Your story about You Tube coincides with a massive new campaign of Internet censorship. Google (the owner of You Tube) and other social media giants are currently hiring thousands of new people to police the Internet. Other than the revolutions made by your wheel, your unicycle videos are not political, but having all those new employees on board makes it possible for You Tube to do all sorts of stuff they probably wanted to do for a long time but didn’t bother with before.

If you are really curious about this, it is reported here with a pseudo-Trotskyist perspective, and here, in the financial news.
For google it is not about policing the internet as such as it is trying to convince people to pay to advertise on videos. The first adpocalypse happened where they found lots of big name brands with advertising next to questionable videos. The advertisers themselves pulled out as they didn't like what they were being advertised next to.

Quote:
Such as anti-Semitic YouTube channels featuring ads from Coke, Nike, etc. and brought them to the attention of these large corporations. This began many big companies pulling all of their ad revenue from YouTube. Without advertisements, YouTube is getting less money and with YouTube getting less money
Youtube then had to try and find a way to ensure their advertisers were not put next to material like ISIS propaganda or racist rants or whatever and had to try and tighten what was censored. This was done by algorithms as youtube says "300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute" making it impossible to use people to screen everything.

A lot of people got their ad revenue cut and videos automatically demonetised from the algorithm, you then had to put in to get it un demonetized.

Adpocalypse 2.0 came out more recently when they found loads of videos tagged as children friendly (i.e. they were available on the "Youtube Kids" platform specially for kids) on that were either inappropriate videos or videos with paedophilic comments all over them that the kids would see when watching them. In response youtube demonetized or deleted a whole bunch of channels/videos.

The most recent change to the demonetisation scheme occurred right after Logan Paul put up his video to his 15million subscribers showing the Japanese man who committed suicide. Though they claimed it was not in response to that and the changes made (requiring channels to have a certain 4000 hours of views in the previous 12 months and over 1000 subscribers) wouldn't have affected someone like Logan Paul so they could be telling the truth. What it does mean is that a channel must be around for a while and be reasonably popular to achieve monetization and therefore its less likely coke is going to be advertised next to an ISIS propaganda video.

Its not internet censorship that youtube/google are trying to achieve. It is ensuring they continue to make money from ad revenue which makes sense as a business seems.

They have put more people on to watch videos to flag inappropriate videos but again with the amount that is uploaded every minute it is almost impossible using that system alone.

Of course they have fucked that up also, Logan Pauls japanese suicide video was up for over a day despite it obviously being flagged by many appalled viewers and youtube didn't take it down, Logan Paul took it down due to backlash.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 12:43 PM   #7
song
Unicyclist

Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and CEO of Facebook, is not with Google, but I would assume that his priorities reflect those of other giant social media corporations. He recently described his mission:

Quote:
But 2017 was also a hard year. The world feels anxious and divided -- and that played out on Facebook. We've seen abuse on our platform, including interference from nation states, the spread of news that is false, sensational and polarizing, and debate about the utility of social media. We have a responsibility to fully understand how our services are used, and to do everything we can to amplify the good and prevent harm. This is my personal challenge for 2018.

One of the most important things we do is making sure our services aren't just fun to use, but also good for people's well-being and for society overall.
This guy's net worth is in the tens of billions. When he says he wants to prevent the spread of polarizing news, “amplify the good and prevent harm,” to you that doesn’t sound like censorship??
song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soup, youtube