Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-11-25, 03:20 PM   #31
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William393 View Post
Did you ever see a rock and roll singer or guitar player? All they seem to do is "show off." It annoys everyone at the concert when they applaud and I yell at the people on stage to stop "showing off!!!"

Same with Olympic athletes, or any athletes, or any performer. Go to a play and watch the people showing off their acting ability!! Show off!

Have fun doing what you enjoy!
Thanks for that - I love that explanation. As somebody naturally quite shy (I'm still very awkward in some social situations), I have tried to avoid attention when learning stuff, and still tend to try and practice when I know not many people will be around. I also still feel a bit embarrassed by the attention I get when riding - though the local kids have got used enough to me now that I no longer get called "Mr unicycle man" as I did when I first did the school run by uni. Now I can rationalise that it is perfectly normal to attract attention by doing unusual things and embrace the attention.

I shouldn't really have a problem though, as I spent many years as an elite level athlete, getting on the podium at most races I did, and recognised by people I didn't know (I even made it onto TV a few times, often being interviewed as a favourite in the "reality style" programmes they made about the races I did). I can't remember having a problem with getting attention doing that - maybe I thought I'd earned it more.

Last edited by aracer; 2015-11-25 at 03:21 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-29, 11:04 PM   #32
William393
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
I shouldn't really have a problem though, as I spent many years as an elite level athlete, getting on the podium at most races I did, and recognised by people I didn't know (I even made it onto TV a few times, often being interviewed as a favourite in the "reality style" programmes they made about the races I did). I can't remember having a problem with getting attention doing that - maybe I thought I'd earned it more.
Show off!!

William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 02:02 AM   #33
Catsmeat
Unicyclist

I'm a total show-off and have no shame in it because I'm just as motivated to inspire others to excel as I am to do so myself. It's not about "look how much better I am than you"; it's about "think of what you could do if you applied yourself in the same way."
Menace to society
Catsmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-01, 05:12 PM   #34
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Check out johnfoss' photos on page 2 of this thread!

I feel a certain pressure to perform when I think others are watching. I am concerned, almost to the point of paranoia, that strangers view me on the unicycle through a preexisting frame. For that reason, I try to do something novel or make a technical change when I've caught someone's attention. For example, a kid was watching me ride down the street. At one point, there was a parked van between me and the kid. I pulled the seat out back while I rode past the van and was momentarily out of the kid's sight.

Sometimes, showing-off can be humiliating. Every time I take my 20" out, I start my session (after a brief ride to the park) with wheel-walking. I don't stop WWing until I've made it (not in one try) across the 200m field. As a WW-show-off, I'm not showing how great I am (because I'm not). Rather, I'm showing how much practice-time I'm willing to put into learning something. At least that's what I think I'm showing. To the onlooker, however, the impression may be that I am insanely inept. I think we have to be willing to fail in front of others...if we really want to improve.
elpuebloUNIdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-02, 05:12 AM   #35
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Check out johnfoss' photos on page 2 of this thread!
That's post #18 for people who view at a higher number of posts per page. Seeing as how they've been dredged up from 2015, I offer some captions. For best results (so you don't have to scroll your brains out) Copy the URL of this page into a new tab in your browser, and scroll it to the pictures:
  1. Zack Baldwin at the top of Mt. Diablo
  2. Santa Claus (me) riding a a tiny 12" uni in Old Town Sacramento
  3. Manfred Hartung (Germany) wheel-walking an honest-to-goodness wheelbarrow at Unicon XIII in Switzerland, 2006
  4. Long Beach, Washington: The two performers at left invited me into their show and I managed to pass clubs with them on an unfamiliar giraffe, circa 2002
  5. Riding a custom unicycle with the cranks in the "wrong" positions, Damento Juggling Festival, 2001, Davis, CA
  6. Rolf Thompson's son Spencer (I think) striking a pose along the Amasaback Trail in Moab, Utah, 2007 or so
  7. A Unicon Freestyle performance at Unicon XIV in Copenhagen, honoring a pop star that had recently passed away due to substance abuse issues
  8. Comparing seat heights with Jamey Mossengren, who has really long legs. My 36" is only a little bit taller than his 20"!
  9. Scot Cooper riding his Muni Giraffe at one of the early Muni Weekends (1997 I think), Auburn, CA
  10. Three performances by Japanese Freestylers at Unicon XVI in Brixen, Italy 2012
  11. Jess Riegel (and friend) crossing the Golden Gate Bridge during the San Francisco Unicycle Tour in 2012
  12. I can't remember who this is, doing some awesome skinny-riding at a park in Northern CA
  13. A super-cool spare tire decoration. I think this was at NAUCC 2013 in Butler, PA. Wisconsin plates suggest it might belong to one of the Wiltons?
  14. Also at 2013 NAUCC, fun at the Wheel Mill, in Pittsburgh. Doesn't that look like fun? That might be Jacob Flansberry.
  15. Flatland competition at NAUCC 2013
  16. Corbin Dunn trying out the Brake Check section of a kids' Bike Rodeo at Rockville Hills Park in Fairfield, CA (before a Muni ride there)
  17. My Big Wheel (45"), dressed up for the Holidays, on a group bike ride through Sacramento's famous Fabulous 40's neighborhood, which is always impeccably decorated for Christmas
  18. Andy Jennings and Nathan Hoover performing "Muni Mayhem" at the Wedding Show at my wedding, July 1, 2000. Yes, even Muni can be a show, on a stage, in front of an audience!
  19. Prehistoric Trials unicycling, on a 24" Miyata in about 1988 in Central Park. Sorry, I can't remember his name! On the right, Bradley Bradley, doing prehistoric Muni on a Schwinn; 1981 in Livonia, Michigan
  20. Clarke Quay, Singapore, 1994. Lots of people seemed to get their wedding photos done with that place as a backdrop. Why do they want a unicyclist in their pictures? I didn't get a chance to ask. I was there doing "ridearound" entertainment and daily focused shows with a group for a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo
I feel a certain pressure to perform when I think others are watching. I am concerned, almost to the point of paranoia, that strangers view me on the unicycle through a preexisting frame.
I sometimes feel that, but have learned to not feel guilty when just going about my business. Your observers will always see you through the lens of their own experiences, assumptions and preconceived notions. You can't do anything about that. They can choose to be entertained, impressed, amazed, polite, or not.
Quote:
I don't stop WWing until I've made it (not in one try) across the 200m field. ...I'm showing how much practice-time I'm willing to put into learning something. At least that's what I think I'm showing. To the onlooker, however, the impression may be that I am insanely inept.
Yup, and there's nothing you can do to correct their assumptions unless you have a conversation with them, or just keep doing your thing and let them figure it out... or not. But that's very disciplined practicing!

I was just thinking about this for myself and realized that I either don't practice tricks in random public spaces anymore, or don't have recollections of doing this very recently. When I do get to do it, it's usually on a rare occasion when I get to ride in a gym (usually at a uni convention), or at work, when I sometimes take a few minutes to work some tricks in our Great Room. At a uni-convention, nobody pays any attention to the old guy doing old tricks. At my office, people mostly probably think "Why isn't he working?"

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-09-02 at 05:17 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-02, 07:51 AM   #36
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
That's post #18 for people who view at a higher number of posts per page. Seeing as how they've been dredged up from 2015, I offer some captions. For best results (so you don't have to scroll your brains out) Copy the URL of this page into a new tab in your browser, and scroll it to the pictures:
  1. Zack Baldwin at the top of Mt. Diablo
  2. Santa Claus (me) riding a a tiny 12" uni in Old Town Sacramento
  3. Manfred Hartung (Germany) wheel-walking an honest-to-goodness wheelbarrow at Unicon XIII in Switzerland, 2006
  4. Long Beach, Washington: The two performers at left invited me into their show and I managed to pass clubs with them on an unfamiliar giraffe, circa 2002
  5. Riding a custom unicycle with the cranks in the "wrong" positions, Damento Juggling Festival, 2001, Davis, CA
  6. Rolf Thompson's son Spencer (I think) striking a pose along the Amasaback Trail in Moab, Utah, 2007 or so
  7. A Unicon Freestyle performance at Unicon XIV in Copenhagen, honoring a pop star that had recently passed away due to substance abuse issues
  8. Comparing seat heights with Jamey Mossengren, who has really long legs. My 36" is only a little bit taller than his 20"!
  9. Scot Cooper riding his Muni Giraffe at one of the early Muni Weekends (1997 I think), Auburn, CA
  10. Three performances by Japanese Freestylers at Unicon XVI in Brixen, Italy 2012
  11. Jess Riegel (and friend) crossing the Golden Gate Bridge during the San Francisco Unicycle Tour in 2012
  12. I can't remember who this is, doing some awesome skinny-riding at a park in Northern CA
  13. A super-cool spare tire decoration. I think this was at NAUCC 2013 in Butler, PA. Wisconsin plates suggest it might belong to one of the Wiltons?
  14. Also at 2013 NAUCC, fun at the Wheel Mill, in Pittsburgh. Doesn't that look like fun? That might be Jacob Flansberry.
  15. Flatland competition at NAUCC 2013
  16. Corbin Dunn trying out the Brake Check section of a kids' Bike Rodeo at Rockville Hills Park in Fairfield, CA (before a Muni ride there)
  17. My Big Wheel (45"), dressed up for the Holidays, on a group bike ride through Sacramento's famous Fabulous 40's neighborhood, which is always impeccably decorated for Christmas
  18. Andy Jennings and Nathan Hoover performing "Muni Mayhem" at the Wedding Show at my wedding, July 1, 2000. Yes, even Muni can be a show, on a stage, in front of an audience!
  19. Prehistoric Trials unicycling, on a 24" Miyata in about 1988 in Central Park. Sorry, I can't remember his name! On the right, Bradley Bradley, doing prehistoric Muni on a Schwinn; 1981 in Livonia, Michigan
  20. Clarke Quay, Singapore, 1994. Lots of people seemed to get their wedding photos done with that place as a backdrop. Why do they want a unicyclist in their pictures? I didn't get a chance to ask. I was there doing "ridearound" entertainment and daily focused shows with a group for a couple of weeks.

I sometimes feel that, but have learned to not feel guilty when just going about my business. Your observers will always see you through the lens of their own experiences, assumptions and preconceived notions. You can't do anything about that. They can choose to be entertained, impressed, amazed, polite, or not.
Yup, and there's nothing you can do to correct their assumptions unless you have a conversation with them, or just keep doing your thing and let them figure it out... or not. But that's very disciplined practicing!

I was just thinking about this for myself and realized that I either don't practice tricks in random public spaces anymore, or don't have recollections of doing this very recently. When I do get to do it, it's usually on a rare occasion when I get to ride in a gym (usually at a uni convention), or at work, when I sometimes take a few minutes to work some tricks in our Great Room. At a uni-convention, nobody pays any attention to the old guy doing old tricks. At my office, people mostly probably think "Why isn't he working?"
Great pics and so well done for remembering so many details. (And we are so lucky you are still contributing to this site! Brings it to life)

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-09-02 at 07:52 AM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-02, 10:23 AM   #37
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I feel a certain pressure to perform when I think others are watching. I am concerned, almost to the point of paranoia, that strangers view me on the unicycle through a preexisting frame.
I don't think you need any special tricks for more non-riders. They think just riding a unicycle is boasting enough. Often when picking up my kid from school, I choose to take the uni because it is the easiest to roll out of the house. Last time the kids wanted to see me ride a few circles on the school yard. My first thought is always "please free-mount at the first go". I was on my 29", which happens to be the one I can always get on. These events teach me to shut off the world around me and just focus on riding. After the first round, the kids were shouting "again, again!". I didn't even do any hopping.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-02, 09:21 PM   #38
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Do I show off?

Usually no, at least not to random strangers. Sometimes if a random stranger asks to see a trick, I'll do one, but that's usually the quickest way to get rid of those people. When I do workshops, I'll usually do some more difficult tricks when I have downtime. Partially because I want to have some fun too, and partially because I want to show where this whole unicycling thing can go. You could call that showing off I guess.

I was filming some more risky street tricks recently, and spend a large amount of the time waiting for people to go away, because if there is one thing I don't like, it's a lot of strangers staring at me. For some people it's a positive aspect of unicycling, for me it's the biggest turnoff. I'd love to be able to show up at a bikepark and just ride, without having the whole "yes it's a unicycle" "yes I've got a brake" "No it doesn't freewheel." "..." conversation 10x a day.

Is it okay?

Do whatever is fun for you, as long as you don't disturb others. Almost everyone likes sharing things they enjoy, I make videos of unicycling, some people ride in parades, etc. I prefer videos, because it gives me a lot of control over what I share, and let's me ride in peace.

Will other people think you are showing off?

Yes. But I'd like to think that if you are a bit concious about what impression you leave on other people, you can manage it. I don't care about the random bypasser when I'm riding my unicycle to our training gym, or on the trails, but I make an effort to not be too attention grabbing if I bring my unicycle to university.
Old 2019-09-02, 10:55 PM   #39
song
Unicyclist

If you just ride down the street on a unicycle, some people will see that as showing off. This is the basis of most of the world's existing uni-hate, and there isn't much you can do about it, but on the bright side, uni-hate is a rare phenomenon – even rarer than unicycling itself!

Generally, when unicycling, I avoid people, especially in choosing a spot for skills practice, as I need to feel comfortable getting things wrong 9 times out of 10 if I am really going to “work” on something rather than just play around. There are a few things I do that might count as showing off, though. Watching the reactions of innocent bystanders when I ride down the stairs on the way to one of my practice areas is often very amusing, so I don't mind if there are people around for that. Also, if I am riding through an area where a lot of people are sitting around, and one of them says “Hey, can you do a wheelie?” I will almost always indulge him by hopping into the air and continuing on my way.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-07, 06:51 AM   #40
slamdance
Unicyclist

Riding in Public

As most of us, we learn in private or solitude. The first time i rode down a high traffic street or road I could actually "feel" all eyes watching me. I know I'm in public! I know they see me! I know I am showing off. Please don't fall. Please don't fall. No. No. Stay on. Control. Control Yes!!!! What a rush.

I thought I was 9/10 almost perfect on free mounts, but it took me several tries when I had to stop and get off. My heart was pounding and I was either jumping up too high or not enough. Finally got it. Phew.

It's a good thing that I resisted doing this for several months, or even a year. Until my riding was rock solid, because there is so much distractions in public with people, cars and "road camber". I felt my riding skills had to be way beyond the "swinging your arms and concentrate" phase to navigate the public streets.

It's fun to be able to ride either fast/smooth or super slow and gaze directly at people walking past you and see them smile or freak out.

Last edited by slamdance; 2019-09-07 at 06:58 AM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-08, 03:04 AM   #41
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I could actually "feel" all eyes watching me. I know I'm in public! I know they see me! I know I am showing off. Please don't fall. Please don't fall. No. No. Stay on. Control. Control Yes!!!! What a rush.
...then I discover I am riding naked, and this is why everyone is watching. I tell myself, "This can't possibly be happening." Then I wake up and realize it was all a dream.
elpuebloUNIdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-09, 02:42 AM   #42
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

The whole question of "showing off" makes for an interesting discussion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
...but on the bright side, uni-hate is a rare phenomenon – even rarer than unicycling itself!
True. Also, someone who says "Show off" is not (usually) a hater either; it's just what came to their mind first. Many people clearly say it as a compliment; that you are able to do this hard, show-offey thing that clearly requires a bunch of practice and skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by song
...if I am riding through an area where a lot of people are sitting around, and one of them says “Hey, can you do a wheelie?” I will almost always indulge him by hopping into the air and continuing on my way.
This makes me think of an alternate to that one, which is where you answer the question with a simple "Yes" and continue on your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
The first time i rode down a high traffic street or road I could actually "feel" all eyes watching me. I know I'm in public! I know they see me! I know I am showing off. Please don't fall. Please don't fall. No. No. Stay on. Control. Control Yes!!!! What a rush.
That's a great description of what I like to call "Eye Pressure". This is when the knowledge that people are watching negatively affects your abilities. In my experience, this is very noticeable for jugglers. They will successfully do a higher number of catches, or execute a trick that's new to them, but every time they try to show someone, they are unable to do it. It's like crying wolf; people think you are bragging.

I have been fortunate with unicycling, in that Eye Pressure often works in my favor. I want to be successful in whatever I'm doing when I have an "audience", and usually I am able to focus a little better and get it done. This is especially useful when you have an *actual* audience, in that you're being paid to ride in front of people.

Old 2019-09-09, 06:27 PM   #43
m00ms
Unicyclist

for me i have ridden on and off for years but always hidden away in carparks even thou i would love to be out on display.

recently i have been doing more riding than i ever have working on distance,playing hockey (not too great at it and no threat to other players!) i am just starting to get out riding in public and have set myself a kind of realistic target i want to achieve by christmas which will be out for the world to see!
m00ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-09, 08:46 PM   #44
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
what I like to call "Eye Pressure"
The technical term, as you may know, is (positive/negative) social facilitation.
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-09, 09:26 PM   #45
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Arctan View Post
The technical term, as you may know, is (positive/negative) social facilitation.
That sounds so cold! But on looking it up, it is not what I described as Eye Pressure. Rather, it seems a version of my own results under pressure. But the definition I looked up here is not exactly the same, because it say Social Facilitation works well for easy tasks, but may work the opposite way with complex ones. I do experience this with other tasks, like organizing all my stuff when my wife wants to get out of the house, but with unicycling, that "pressure" seems to help me focus.

I didn't dig for additional labels for these phenomena, since they probably have "cold" names as well. I prefer "Eye Pressure" because it spells out what is actually happening. The subject is aware of the eyes upon him/her and subsequently feels the pressure.

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-09-09 at 09:31 PM.

Tags
show off