Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-11-06, 03:09 AM   #16
UPD
fail better.

Just go out and do it and have a blast, afterall, it's only 5k. Piece of cake right? As long as you're not constantly falling off every hundred yard, I think a majority will enjoy seeing the one-wheeler.

If I may, let me elaborate on my personal experience of "owning" it.
On my 26er Oregon, I feel like I own it. I can ride 3+hrs muni, climb as high as the mtb'ers can. Throw the wheel in all directions. Ride narrow single tracks next to cliffs. Ride down 3-4ft ledges without problems.

On my 36er with my 165 cranks I believe I own it. I can do muni trails. Torque and throw the wheel around pretty darn well. Overall really nice control.

Then, then not too long ago, I changed to the 145mm. I definitely did not feel nearly of owning it, for quite a while. I could ride it. But straight on paths was what I was only good on. Very lack of control that I was looking for. In fact, it got so bad, that I forgot how capable I was at muni when I was with the 165s. Not until just last weekend. I did a 26.4 mile. But still, I was only good enough on non techincal bike paths.
But sure, the good distance built good thigh and calf muscles for sure.
Not only until today, I felt the extra burst of conditioned muscles kick in. Did muni on it today. Practiced throwing the wheel ever so nicely. Much, much better control after practicing slaloms and twisting the wheel around nearly 90° in both directions. I actually felt that feeling of having on SPD's again, like I did on the 165s. I practiced hops, and on going real slow, at slow walking speed. Climbed much better than ever, able to twist to recover balance.. It felt almost as if I were on my 165s, but faster. I didnt think it was possible, but it happened.
TODAY, I OWNED MY 145s!
From now Im good for muni on 145s. Yeah, that was the control and confidence I was seeking for. It shows too, a hardcore runner running uphills, gave a boost of a cool compliment. Well worth earned, i would say!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 03:32 AM   #17
wfcentral
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
I've never heard of an "awareness ride."

I guess now I am aware.

EDIT: Sorry to go off-topic, but how does a run raise awareness for PTSD?
I was talking with a co-worker about it and he thinks "awareness" events are stupid. I understand his point. Basically, it gives an organization on campus an opportunity to educate the campus about PTSD. They will probably have flyers there at sign-up and people will be encouraged to ask questions and talk about it. Think of it this way - if they just said we are going to meet in room 101 and talk about this they would probably only get 1/20 the turn out.
Old 2015-11-06, 03:34 AM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Start by asking yourself why you want to ride a unicycle in this event instead of run/walk it. Skip past the stuff about running/walking is boring, slow, bad for your joints, etc. You could do that and be a "normal" part of the event. So why the unicycle?

Possible reasons are because you want to do more. As an "awareness" event you can also raise awareness of unicycles. But not in a negative way. Because you *can* ride a unicycle, it may help motivate people. Not necessarily to ride one, but to feel better while they work their way through the event. If you think of yourself as a motivator for the other runners/walkers, you are helping the cause. And then, it's also okay to be a showoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
At one point a group on penny farthings passed us: wow those things are even bigger, 48" maybe? and made my 36 look small.
Yes, a 36" penny farthing would be for a child. Back in the day, if you were an enthusiast you would get the largest wheel that would fit you. That was your gearing. Sizes went up over 60", but at that point you have to be fairly tall to reach the pedals. I've ridden a 63.5" unicycle, but I was only just barely able to reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
I wish the sport wasn't seen as showing off just by doing it...
It generally isn't. That is the perception of the viewer. Some people see you doing something they can't, and that they believe they could never do (which is wrong). If they choose to be haters they may then call you a show-off, ask about your other wheel, etc. Other people will see something cool, whimsical and difficult, and be entertained or just impressed by it. If doing it with a group of run/walkers, if you are one of them, you can have the effect of boosting them up!

But beware of taking it too far. Doing exactly the same thing dressed as a clown, will get more reactions to the clown (example: "Look at the clown!") and less reaction to the unicycle (example: "Look at the clown!").

Examples of showing off, from images I had already sized for these forums. What a bunch of show-offs:
Attached Images

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 09:25 PM   #19
Mononovize
Unicyclist

As John Foss demonstrated (thanks! Esp. the wheelbarrow walk and the "spare unicycle" on the car made me laugh...), showing off can be very okay! And why wouldn't it? From a somewhat psychological point of view: What's bothering you about showing-off, what about show-offs... and why?
For example, I know of an amateur singer who's been very self-conscious about performing, in part because she was taught in childhood not to take herself too seriously. What a shame! When she basks in the admiration of her audience, she actually gives them a good time. She's not conceited, just enjoys the audience's attention, the looks and surely also the admiration. The audience is there voluntarily, so why not? It's a good deal for everyone.
In my opinion, showing off is fine if the show-off doesn't "force" his audience to watch or admire him... doesn't do it excessively... and if he's not arrogant or conceited about it. Then it just clashes with one's self-concept of being that guy who doesn't strive for looks or admiration, bummer.
But who cares about my opinion--what matters is when *you* think it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni que View Post
My son (...) likes unicycling now as it is dark by 5pm and no one sees him unless they are walking past. (...) he does not tell his mates, even though all the reactions to him from passers-by are positive
Not talking about Uni_que's son (!), just using this as an illustration: Some people who don't like to perform in front of others are just shy... others fear they're not good enough to impress--and anything less is not enough in their eyes!
So what's more "okay": The guy who loves his uni and will give a little show-off performance for a cheer or make a dazzling Youtube video and watch with pride how many views he gets... or the guy who works his tricks at night because he won't embarass himself until the distant day he's going to show all the world what a great guy (he thinks) he is? Who's really more full of himself?

PS: Yes, obviously there are also people who unicycle despite the fact that they'll get attention. As I understood it, that wasn't the question, was it?
PPS: I like the "awareness" run. It's much more European I guess... (asking for donations for doing a run is a very strange concept for most Europeans I know)
Mononovize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 12:45 AM   #20
stag
Support wildlife... throw a party!

A few years back I was riding my 36 on a main road when a young boy shouted, "Show off!!"

"Einstein was probably one of them."

(Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

www.eddify.com
stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 10:25 PM   #21
FoxxyD
Enemy of hoverboards everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
A few years back I was riding my 36 on a main road when a young boy shouted, "Show off!!"
...who then promptly went home and Googled "learn to unicycle."
Nimbus Nightfox 36" (114mm)
Nimbus Road 29" (102mm, Magura brake)
www.foxxyd.com
FoxxyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 11:40 PM   #22
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni que View Post
He can manage 300-400 metres which for a 10 year old isn't bad, but he does not tell his mates, even though all the reactions to him from passers-by are positive.
I found a cure for shy kids. Ride your 36er with them following you on their bicycles. Riding behind you, they hear people talk about how cool you are. Before long, they will be begging to ride in the daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
What a bunch of show-offs:
Your custom Silva Cycles Schlumpf KH36er John Foss is a thing of absolute beauty. Mine is from the same batch except in KH blue. Finally (forget how long we've had them) after tons of practice, getting along well with mine.

Back on topic, Mountain Bike folk are very receptive. Roadies, not so much. Couples always react the same with the female giving positive feedback while the male calls you a show-off. To the OP, one thing is for certain. You will forever be known around the office as the unicycle guy and you should be OK with that.
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 06:59 AM   #23
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
For a snappy comeback:
"Hey, if this isn't showing off, I don't know what is!"

That aside, those type of comments illustrate how the "showing off" is often in the eye of the beholder. If I'm riding down the bike path and doing a fitness run, I'm not there to show off. But the perceptions of bystanders can be all over the place. The ones who call you a show-off are admiring you, though not communicating this in the politest of ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHood View Post
I found a cure for shy kids. Ride your 36er with them following you on their bicycles. Riding behind you, they hear people talk about how cool you are.
My wife will back you up on this. She's often behind me, on those same bike path rides. Even though she's on a very cool recumbent (bike), she generally gets no attention. Worse yet, some people are so distracted they steer into her path while trying to look back at me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHood
Your custom Silva Cycles Schlumpf KH36er John Foss is a thing of absolute beauty. Mine is from the same batch except in KH blue. Finally (forget how long we've had them) after tons of practice, getting along well with mine.
You are too kind. Unfortunately it lost most of its red paint when I replaced the frame with a newer one that has the disc brake mount. KH blue. Someday I hope to get it powdercoated to match, but Bronson's shop is 100 miles away...

I got mine in May or June of 2010. Yes, still learning to ride the beast! It keeps things interesting.

Old 2015-11-14, 06:50 PM   #24
wfcentral
Unicyclist

Just wanted to put a quick closer on this thread. I DID end up riding in the 5K. Had a lot of fun - glad I did it. There were only about 30 people there. Mostly students and a few veterans - not really many co-workers. Not anyone I knew in the group. When I first brought out the UNI there were a few - "oh, cool" and one lady said "hey, looks like you are going to be our entertainment" - I let the crowd get a 200 yard head start since they were packed pretty tight together and I would not be able to get through them.

Passed all those walking pretty quickly - I'm not up to the speed the joggers were going so they left me behind. It was three laps around a small lake = 5K. I spent most of the time by myself since I was too fast for the walkers and too slow for the joggers no one was "by my side."

There were several little kids there who did the normal "cool" and "wow" which is always neat - along with parents saying "hey Timmy, look at the man on the unicycle..."

All in all - would do it again!
Old 2015-11-15, 02:10 AM   #25
UPD
fail better.

Wfcentral, you ought to get yourself a 36er soon, so next time you'll be whizzing pass the "slow" joggers
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-20, 04:52 PM   #26
William393
Supreme Commander

Did you ever see a rock and roll singer or guitar player? All they seem to do is "show off." It annoys everyone at the concert when they applaud and I yell at the people on stage to stop "showing off!!!"

Same with Olympic athletes, or any athletes, or any performer. Go to a play and watch the people showing off their acting ability!! Show off!

Have fun doing what you enjoy!
William393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 12:51 AM   #27
moffatuniguy
Ballet-uni-man

My Son always says, "Dad stop showing off" when I ride my unicycle. As a former professional ballet dancer when I was on stage is that considered showing off? Of course it is. Why is this younger generation so scared of showing off. If you have the skills, why not show the world. Don't be shy, life is too short. Sure some may say, what is that guy f...ing doing. I don't care what they think, in my mind I'm having a blast.
Old 2015-11-23, 05:09 AM   #28
Sanne.Kj
56 blood donations :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffatuniguy View Post
My Son always says, "Dad stop showing off" when I ride my unicycle. As a former professional ballet dancer when I was on stage is that considered showing off? Of course it is. Why is this younger generation so scared of showing off. If you have the skills, why not show the world. Don't be shy, life is too short. Sure some may say, what is that guy f...ing doing. I don't care what they think, in my mind I'm having a blast.
I think it has more to do with the parent-child relation than the unicycling/showing off-part. Children might feel embarrassed about what their parents do that is not totally strict, normal and boring .

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-23, 08:15 AM   #29
pierrox
Unicyclist

Also, in the day and age of selfies and other self* posted online, there is actually a surge in normality. Kids have a tendency to want to be normal because they don't want to be singled out (the "fatso", the "weirdo" and so on), so unicycling puts you right there in the (local) spotlight. Especially if you cruise around the neighborhood on a 36".
Kiddo could be scared of becoming "the guy with the weird dad".
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 03:52 AM   #30
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I'm sure glad I didn't grow up in an age of social media. It was hard enough in the 70's being the weirdo...

I suppose one of the reasons I wanted to learn to ride was to get some respect. It was only much, much later I learned that true respect is given, not gotten.

Last edited by johnfoss; 2015-11-24 at 03:53 AM.

Tags
show off