Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-11-05, 08:12 PM   #1
wfcentral
Unicyclist

do you "show off" and is that okay?

I know this is going to sound weird, but this seems like the correct group to ask since I'm sure you have been there / done that.

This weekend my work is holding a walk/run marathon for 5k to raise awareness for PTSD.

The walk/run is taking place on the exact location that I ride everyday at lunch. I asked them is I could do my 5k on a Unicycle and they said sure.

I think this will make a lot of people smile and I'll get to show off in front of hundreds of my co-workers.

Then, as soon as I say the work "show off" it makes me think that I should NOT do it. What kind of person shows up at an event to say "hey everybody - look at me!"
Old 2015-11-05, 08:30 PM   #2
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

The point is that you would not be doing the event just to show off but rather because you like to ride you unicycle.

Beyond that, yes, riding a unicycle does attract attention and you have to either be okay with that or ride places where nobody is so no one sees you. So if you ride somewhere where you know there will be a lot of people, then you just have to accept the attention: usually it's overwhelmingly positive but of course there can always be one or two people who find it totally stupid or silly but you just have to deal with that (you can't make all the people happy all the time anyway),

I think it just has to do with your own position, image and self-confidence. If you do the ride then you will be the "unicycle guy" and people may talk about it for the next year. If you don't want that then don't do it.
26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 08:40 PM   #3
wfcentral
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCFreerider View Post
The point is that you would not be doing the event just to show off but rather because you like to ride you unicycle.

Beyond that, yes, riding a unicycle does attract attention and you have to either be okay with that or ride places where nobody is so no one sees you. So if you ride somewhere where you know there will be a lot of people, then you just have to accept the attention: usually it's overwhelmingly positive but of course there can always be one or two people who find it totally stupid or silly but you just have to deal with that (you can't make all the people happy all the time anyway),

I think it just has to do with your own position, image and self-confidence. If you do the ride then you will be the "unicycle guy" and people may talk about it for the next year. If you don't want that then don't do it.
I work on a University Campus and ride all around campus for about 40 minutes every day. I also ride down a popular road near my house and a lot of people see me. Everyone that sees me smiles, gives me a thumbs up, etc. I don't think I've seen or heard anything negative. It's a big boost for me since I have hated exercise for 50 years and now I'm doing something that makes me feel super human. Instead of people looking at me like "geez, look at the old fat guy trying to run" they say "holy crap - you go dude... you're awesome."

So, I'm 95% sure that the crowd this weekend would enjoy seeing some guy riding around on a unicycle and give me high fives. I just have to stop for a minute and say "you know... if you had to leave your unicycle at home you probably would not go to this event and walk/run..."
Old 2015-11-05, 08:47 PM   #4
unibokk
Unicyclist

Of course you should show off and enjoy the positive response from the crowd.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 08:53 PM   #5
UPD
fail better.

Right, you shouldn't have to feel like your showing off. If you're good and enjoying it, it's more like you're exuding confidence, whether somebody likes your presence or not, it doesnt really matter. Unicycling is not for the timid. Just get to the level of where you feel like you "own" your unicycle, that's all that really matters . At least for me, anyway
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 09:02 PM   #6
wfcentral
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Right, you shouldn't have to feel like your showing off. If you're good and enjoying it, it's more like you're exuding confidence, whether somebody likes your presence or not, it doesnt really matter. Unicycling is not for the timid. Just get to the level of where you feel like you "own" your unicycle, that's all that really matters . At least for me, anyway
I can freemount, dismount with Uni in front (most times) and ride as far as I want without stopping. I typically ride 1.75 miles. Stop to stretch my legs and then ride 1.75 miles back... I'm able to ride up and down all the sidewalk wheelchair ramps and over several bridges on campus.

I cannot hop, idle, ride off curbs, or anything else above level 1. But, to people that cannot ride at all Level 1 is pretty amazing!
Old 2015-11-05, 09:11 PM   #7
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
Are not all those unicycle videos that we love just people "showing off"? At least to some extent, but I don't think anyone who makes a video is vain, particularly when I see all the fails at the end.

It's not wrong to do something because others are watching, just remember why else you are doing it too.

Last edited by Superbant; 2015-11-05 at 09:13 PM.
Superbant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 09:22 PM   #8
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Just get to the level of where you feel like you "own" your unicycle, that's all that really matters . At least for me, anyway
That is really well said. I love to unicycle, but I'm not yet there that I can say I "own" it. I reckon that is also a positive thing as it means there is still heaps to learn.
I am a very introverted person, but I kinda like the attention when uni-ing around town Just being able to ride on one wheel is like showing off to most people already. No need to do anything fancy.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 09:51 PM   #9
MUCFreerider
29" Muni/Downhill! (and 36" Muni)

I've been unicycling so much in the last year (and mostly on the 36 on which I am about 220cm tall or over 7 feet tall) that on the occasions where I take the bike instead I am surprised/shocked/forget that no one looks at me as being crazy/special/coo/wacky or whatever. I think I've gotten so used to seeing people's faces react to me as I ride by (and often with a comment - everything's possible from "whoa", did you see that", "huh?", etc.), it's really strange on a day like today where I commuted by bike instead and no one reacts at all.

I participated in a "community" bike ride last spring - after 8 years of construction on the inner city ring the new tunnel was finished (i.e. like the Big Dig in Boston) and a few weeks before it opened they had the cycling event where you got to ride through the tunnel (now it is again cars only). The really good thing is that there were two of us, me on a 36 and a girl on a 29. It was a huge event with 2000+ cyclists and everyone was cheering and ringing their bells and asking us about the unis. At one point a group on penny farthings passed us: wow those things are even bigger, 48" maybe? and made my 36 look small.

Have fun!
26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
19" Trials Impact Athmos
20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX
MUCFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 10:46 PM   #10
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
I love riding my unicycle, and on top of that I think it's pretty cool that it makes most people smile. If I catch someone's eye I'll give it that extra push of speed or do some weaving or something. I like to show people what you can do on a unicycle, and that it's fun. I wish the sport wasn't seen as showing off just by doing it, and I regularly downplay how hard it is (because it's not really that hard, let's be honest) in hopes people will give it a try.
Old 2015-11-05, 11:00 PM   #11
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

It's OK for me to show off but it's not OK for you to. You need to be more serious about what you do and how you appear.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 12:53 AM   #12
Uni que

My son is in the same boat. He is quite introverted, especially if he is not confident in his ability. He likes unicycling now as it is dark by 5pm and no one sees him unless they are walking past. He can manage 300-400 metres which for a 10 year old isn't bad, but he does not tell his mates, even though all the reactions to him from passers-by are positive. He has a thing about "showing off" and likes to keep this sort of thing private. I hope that as time goes by it will bring him out of his shell and he will gain the confidence to do it in the daylight!
Have fun, enjoy the attention and positive reactions you are bound to get!
If its for charity, take a bucket, you'll be surprised how many people want to donate to "the unicyclist"!
Uni que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 02:04 AM   #13
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

It's a charity ride, of course you want to stand out. When collecting money from sponsors make sure you mention that you will be riding a unicycle. All the top fundraisers at the events I have gone to have had something to help them stand out.

When I unicycled the MS Bikeathon I was able to raise considerably more than when I biked it. More people were willing to donate more money when they saw I was missing a wheel.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2015-11-06 at 02:05 AM. Reason: gramar
saskatchewanian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 02:37 AM   #14
wfcentral
Unicyclist

Cool

it's not a charity ride - it's just an "awareness" ride. So, there will not be any money getting passed around...
Old 2015-11-06, 02:45 AM   #15
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I've never heard of an "awareness ride."

I guess now I am aware.

EDIT: Sorry to go off-topic, but how does a run raise awareness for PTSD?

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2015-11-06 at 02:47 AM.
saskatchewanian is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
show off