Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-07-24, 07:30 PM   #61
LanceB
This space available

For learning to ride backwards I recommend adding elbow pads to your protective gear. When I fall off when riding backwards (which happens occasionally) I tend to land on my elbows. (The back of my head often hits the ground at about the same time, too, so the helmet is a good idea.) This is usually caused by not getting my feet off the pedals fast enough, so I end up not being able to get my feet underneath me to keep from falling. As you practice backwards riding you will have a LOT of dismounts, so basically you will get a lot of practice at this. Just something to keep in mind. It sounds like you're kind of a "natural" at this, so you may pick up backwards riding without any problems at all.
Good luck!
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #62
gschwind11
Boomsmash... weight on the saddle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
For learning to ride backwards I recommend adding elbow pads to your protective gear...
good idea Lance!... thank's for the advice... I realized that now on my first backwards UPD

Well, yesterday I pimped my 20" Qu-AX Profi with a pair of Kris Holms stubbed pedals with metall pins (see photo).... and my god what a grip they have....
The change is enormous... once on the pedals the feet just can't move anymore.
It feels a bit like riding another one step better unicycle.

I do have another new pair of pedals from Odyssey with plastic pins... a bit similar in shape but probably less aggresive in grip I suppose.... will try them soon too.

Does anybody know why these pedals have that special twisted shaping?
Attached Images

gschwind11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #63
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwind11 View Post
Well, yesterday I pimped my 20" Qu-AX Profi with a pair of Kris Holms stubbed pedals
I have a Profi in my collection too. Those wheels are insanely strong. Double wall rim and 48 spokes on an ISIS hub.

Quote:
Style?
Old Today, 03:27 PM   #64
rich
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwind11 View Post
Imagine standing hard on the skinny edge of a rectangular pedal when mounting. It will be unstable, then spin 90 degrees suddenly and your foot will land on the broader top part with a snap. This will probably throw you off (or bash your fun junction on the saddle!)

The twisted/parellelogram profile means if you stand on the edge it should roll 90 degrees smoothly and you'll be straight on the tops. Much less potential for accidentally placing weight on the unstable thin edge.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 PM   #65
JimT
Unicyclist

The twist is likely an attempt to match the natural shape of the foot. If you were to place two bars across the foot about where the peddle bars would be you would find that they are not in the same plane because of the differences of the ball and arch of the foot. A twist is just a more ergonomic shape.

Does it really make any difference? I don't know.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 PM   #66
gschwind11
Boomsmash... weight on the saddle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Imagine standing hard on the skinny edge of a rectangular pedal when mounting. It will be unstable, then spin 90 degrees suddenly and your foot will land on the broader top part with a snap. This will probably throw you off ...
thank you Rich!
this is an excellent explanation... it's pure physics indeed
Actually I should have been able to come to that conclusion too...

However... I got once more an expert answer on that forum... it's amazing!!!

Today I had another consolidation training which means that I didn't really get much further with new skills but kind of fastened the newly learned things.
Okay there was one thing that I realized today which I haven't done before... it's the possibility of riding better through the grass in a standing manner out of the saddle... but it's quite exhausting.
When I tried grassriding before I always failed after some few meters but when standing I had much more power on the pedals to come through the uneven surface of the grass... cool another step further towards muni

Allright... tomorrow I'll head to Wales for a 2 weeks summervacation... with my unicycle for sure...
I hope I'll learn a lot there
And if all goes well I'll be able to buy my first fiveten unicycle shoes... yeah!!!

Last edited by gschwind11; Today at 06:29 PM.
gschwind11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, comfortable, cycling, newby, relax, unicycling