Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-08-11, 01:40 AM   #46
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain
caught some gymnasts on the horse last night, but not too much yet.

are you rooting for any particular nation?

is everyone rooting for their own nation?
I root in whatever is the opposite direction from the hype or as random firing synapses dictate. I don't root for Americans per se except as their story's touch me for one reason or another. I really do enjoy just watching the events but do get caught up in rooting for one reason or another. Personally I do hope that Phelps fails to win 8 gold medals; that hype bothers me greatly.

But my anti-hype tendencies may very well be over-hyped too.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 03:50 AM   #47
critter
Year of the Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seager
How the heck is this old news? China censoring the internet for it's people is old news. Breaking promises to the Olympics is very NEW news.
From the link:
Maybe read the article?
I skimmed it Maybe the Chinese culture finds that the "glass half empty reporting" is rude. It's about the olympics not politics. It's a time for celebration. Criticizing can be done some other time. The truth will prevail.
It's their games. They can do what they want. Play by the rules or don't play?
Their mild censorship not a good enough reason not to let them be a host of fun. We do business with them. Why not play with them? To me sports are the most important things in life, other than supporting a family.
Sports will bring us together.

What would you do to China? X-communicate them?
Old 2008-08-11, 04:09 AM   #48
surfer1024
Zachary Wenner

Send a message via Skype™ to surfer1024
400m relay equals awesomeness. French were talking stuff and Usa beat em with the best comeback ever! Phelps was going so crazy. He was exactly like this little kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8q-elxC6gU

edit: I'm so hoarse from screaming so loud when jason lezak was coming down the last lap and out touched the french dude. (Australia got 3rd)
Street 2011

Last edited by surfer1024; 2008-08-11 at 04:11 AM.
surfer1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 06:43 AM   #49
Apoc56
Unicyclist

Oh man, the french anchor (Bernard I think) is going to have that last 25m running through his mind for the rest of his life. Classic race strategy: drag off the leader then pass him, which is usually pretty demoralizing to the person who thought they had it in the bag.

This is why swimming is one of the most exciting sports to watch (and participate).

And Phelps couldn't get 8 golds without this race, too.

"Nobody has Margarita's, With PIZZA!"
-John Crichton

Last edited by Apoc56; 2008-08-11 at 06:45 AM.
Apoc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 06:51 AM   #50
Seager
I had a thing in here one time!

Send a message via AIM to Seager
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
I skimmed it Maybe the Chinese culture finds that the "glass half empty reporting" is rude. It's about the olympics not politics. It's a time for celebration. Criticizing can be done some other time. The truth will prevail.
It's their games. They can do what they want. Play by the rules or don't play?
Yes. 100%, they should play by the rules or not play. They DO NOT play by the rules. They flagrantly violate the human rights of their own citizens and occupied countries on a daily basis, and they are reneging on several promises they made to the Olympic committee. Truth WILL NOT prevail if we ignore all of this. History shows what happens when we do nothing and wait for things to sort themselves out.

Quote:
Their mild censorship not a good enough reason not to let them be a host of fun. We do business with them. Why not play with them?
That's a whole other can of worms there. Firstly, the censorship is no where near mild. Secondly, we SHOULD NOT do business with them until they clean up their act. If they weren't an economic powerhouse you can bet we'd treat them differently. Our corporations are just afraid of losing their sweatshops that our economy is based on. (I'm not saying that we aren't part of the problem.) I'm also not saying they shouldn't be allowed in the Olympics. Their athletes and citizens are innocent (and powerless.) Their government should not be allowed to HOST it however. It sends the wrong message.

Quote:
To me sports are the most important things in life, other than supporting a family.
Sports will bring us together.
I'm going to go with human rights being more important than sports. Denying them the Olympics would have sent them a clear message. The US especially won't ever do that since we profit hugely from taking advantage of their sweatshops and cheap labor.

Quote:
What would you do to China? X-communicate them?
No need, religious worship is already illegal there.

Now, on the positive side, the coverage lately has been touching on the subject often, and it was even a major part of NBC's interview with Bush tonight. Maybe some of you are right that this will at least make many people aware of China's violations who may have been ignorant to them before. Lets only hope.

And that relay WAS AWESOME!
Seager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 01:40 PM   #51
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc56
Oh man, the french anchor (Bernard I think) is going to have that last 25m running through his mind for the rest of his life. Classic race strategy: drag off the leader then pass him, which is usually pretty demoralizing to the person who thought they had it in the bag.

This is why swimming is one of the most exciting sports to watch (and participate).

And Phelps couldn't get 8 golds without this race, too.

I saw that race last night, pretty intense at the end for sure. It seemed like the newscaster was having a go at the French for about 5 minutes after we won. "Who's talking now!?" It seems like the media created more rivalry and drama then there actually was between the two teams.

I disagree though about swimming being one of the most exciting sports to watch. I have already grown tired of watching all the swimming events.
Old 2008-08-11, 02:30 PM   #52
BluntRM
The Technology

Anyone counting?

Gold Silver Bronze Total
CHN 9 3 2 14
USA 3 4 5 12
KOR 4 4 0 8
ITA 3 3 2 8
RUS 0 4 2 6

Last edited by BluntRM; 2008-08-11 at 02:32 PM.
BluntRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 02:40 PM   #53
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
My favorite to watch is the Gymnastics.

Not because I'm all that interested in gymnastics normally... But it's one of the more entertaining olympic events.
Old 2008-08-11, 04:21 PM   #54
isaac steiner
A little everything...

Send a message via MSN to isaac steiner
go Canada!!
isaac steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 08:07 PM   #55
critter
Year of the Tiger

Quote:
. Their athletes and citizens are innocent (and powerless.)

And that relay WAS AWESOME!
Their citizens do have a choice! Try hard to get ahead or not. Their athletes don't have to do the Olympics. They can quit and get a field job or make shoes.

I know it would suck to grow up in china, but I've been spoiled. Life is not a bowl of cherries and life is not fair.

I guess I was trying to say, It wasn't surprise when the chinese do things there own way. Can't change over night but look at the progress in the last 30 years. This is another BIG step. The Olympic Committee will have their assessments after the games are done.

As a host I'm glad China lets us play after all the free speech Michael Moore spews on americans. Chinese don't need people like Moore on a friendly celebration of the human spirit.
Old 2008-08-11, 08:30 PM   #56
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
However, I'm not going to go out and play a friendly game of basketball with the racist wifebeater down the street.
Do you issue a personal interview to each person you interact with? You may well end up playing basketball with the racist wifebeater down the street if you're not careful.

Quote:
Politics isn't something you can just turn on and off.
Ah, just as I thought. You're too obsessed with politics to put it aside for the sake of sportsmanship. We need to find you a 12-step program, son!

Last edited by maestro8; 2008-08-11 at 08:30 PM.
maestro8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 08:42 PM   #57
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
Secondly, we SHOULD NOT do business with them until they clean up their act. If they weren't an economic powerhouse you can bet we'd treat them differently.
"Ifs" won't get you anywhere.

The fact that they're an economic power goes further to demonstrate that money trumps politics in many cases, especially at the cash register.

Many people share your sentiments, Seager, myself included... but you're not thinking very pragmatically. Idealism doesn't get you very far in the real world.

Sure, it'd be nice if our cars ran on cow farts and no one ever made fun of another's shoes, but it ain't gonna happen that way. You have to think about how to affect change incrementally.
Old 2008-08-11, 09:18 PM   #58
Apoc56
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by siafirede
I saw that race last night, pretty intense at the end for sure. It seemed like the newscaster was having a go at the French for about 5 minutes after we won. "Who's talking now!?" It seems like the media created more rivalry and drama then there actually was between the two teams.

I disagree though about swimming being one of the most exciting sports to watch. I have already grown tired of watching all the swimming events.
Agreed about the media causing a bit more of a stir than there should have been, though the French did say they would smash the Americans in this race. But still they both broke the record by 4 seconds that's exciting for everybody

And about the other thing, I'm a swimmer so its exciting to me (I was clenching my jaw so hard at the end I almost chipped a tooth when Lezak lifted his head before his finish. You don't do that in a race! Even the commentators talked about that a bit.) But I guess even badminton is exciting to badminton players.

"Nobody has Margarita's, With PIZZA!"
-John Crichton
Apoc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 09:46 PM   #59
Bondo
Unicyclist

You would think that at least ONE of these events would have a "Chinese Downhill" aspect to it.

I haven't been watching. Two reasons; I just got back to civilization today...and once I start watching, I can't quit.

Tonight the addiction will begin I'm sure...
Old 2008-08-11, 10:01 PM   #60
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntRM
Gold Silver Bronze Total
CHN 9 3 2 14
USA 3 4 5 12
KOR 4 4 0 8
ITA 3 3 2 8
RUS 0 4 2 6

USA! USA! USA!