Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-08-09, 02:43 AM   #16
einrad101
Unicyclist

Go USA!!!
do you guys think unicycling will ever be in there?

Philadelphia Area Unicyclists:
http://groups.google.com/group/philly-unicyclists

my pitiful attempt at a mainly unicycling related blog.....
http://andyunicycles.blogspot.com/
einrad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 02:46 AM   #17
peleschramm
Team Spencer second in command

Send a message via MSN to peleschramm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue
Colossal waste of money.

If I had my way it would just be a guy with a big pair of scissors standing between two posts with a ribbon tied between them.
"I declare these games open."
*snip*

Maybe, maybe, a guy parping on a trumpet for five seconds.
And that's pushing the boat out.

Yes, I'm a grumpy owd man.
+1... way to much money.

I'm not routing for any team. I just watch for fun.

Inventor of the Slapflip.
peleschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 03:21 AM   #18
Seager
I had a thing in here one time!

Send a message via AIM to Seager
I'm watching and it's slightly offensive how everyone is pretending that China is some great country that cares about human rights and it's citizens. The only reason they got the olympics is because they are an economic powerhouse and our counties are afraid to anger them.

Anyone notice that the opening drum number was a bunch of identical looking men? A similar thing in the US would have been filled with Whites, Blacks, Asians, Women, etc. In China's defense it would have been hard for them to find women since most girl babies were killed in the 80's.

Watching these ceremonies makes me feel dirty. I can't believe everyone is turning a blind how to how horrible the Chinese government is. They are using all this budist symbolism taken from the Chinese people (who I have no problem with), but that the facist leaders themselves ignore. We're all buying it hook, line, and sinker.
Seager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 03:36 AM   #19
Seager

They just did a huge symbol for the great wall coming down and china being more open, and yet...

China censors internet access for atheletes and reporters.

Quote:
Cuban reporter Joel Garcia Leon, with the magazine Trabajadores, said he expected the censorship. But he was overwhelmed by other red tape.

"I'm surprised how tightly controlled and complicated everything is here," he said. "To get a phone number from China Mobile, I have to give them a copy of my passport and my mother's maiden name. This seems quite excessive and abnormal."
Even a guy from CUBA thinks there is too much government control.

Last edited by Seager; 2008-08-09 at 03:36 AM.
Old 2008-08-09, 03:53 AM   #20
Kilian
Unicyclist

the drum part was the only part i watched it was impressive but those ppl are like clones or something! they had the same clothes and red stripe the same hair even the same height! the only thing that was different was their facial features
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpaun
Kids take notice of hobo chuck. Drugs are bad for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord14
we need to build are numbers up then we can start on are way to unicycle domination.
Kilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 11:10 AM   #21
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seager
I'm watching and it's slightly offensive how everyone is pretending that China is some great country that cares about human rights and it's citizens. The only reason they got the olympics is because they are an economic powerhouse and our counties are afraid to anger them.

Anyone notice that the opening drum number was a bunch of identical looking men? A similar thing in the US would have been filled with Whites, Blacks, Asians, Women, etc. In China's defense it would have been hard for them to find women since most girl babies were killed in the 80's.

Watching these ceremonies makes me feel dirty. I can't believe everyone is turning a blind how to how horrible the Chinese government is. They are using all this budist symbolism taken from the Chinese people (who I have no problem with), but that the facist leaders themselves ignore. We're all buying it hook, line, and sinker.
anyone who loves democracy must feel the same way. they live under strict control all the time, and the painful truths (of which we only know a fraction of) cannot be spoken about.

in democracies, dissent is patriotic. in china, dissenters disappear.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:58 AM   #22
cathwood
Life's a beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain
anyone who loves democracy must feel the same way. they live under strict control all the time, and the painful truths (of which we only know a fraction of) cannot be spoken about.

in democracies, dissent is patriotic. in china, dissenters disappear.
Not only that but the chinese people themselves (especially the very poor ones) are suffering, maybe even dying, because of the image that the Chinese wish to portray for the Olympics.
Old 2008-08-09, 08:01 PM   #23
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Send a message via Skype™ to dudewithasock
I love watching the olympics, it's really entertaining. Watched a sport I've never heard of called Handball, Koreans vs. Russians, ended in a tie, really got drawn in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a girl.
dudewithasock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 08:12 PM   #24
Jethro
Bill Hugo

Send a message via AIM to Jethro
After the opening ceremonies they are all the same.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? ~Mahatma Gandhi
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 08:28 PM   #25
adjuggler
UniDC

Send a message via AIM to adjuggler
I thought fireworks were not allowed in Beijing, for fear of lighting the air on fire.
adjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 08:34 PM   #26
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!

Send a message via Skype™ to dudewithasock
Yay Becca Ward! Fencing is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a girl.
dudewithasock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 08:42 PM   #27
catinabag1
future navy nuke

Send a message via AIM to catinabag1 Send a message via MSN to catinabag1
did they show the judo already? i think it was on like really early in the morning or something if it was shown. i'm pissed. that is what i wanted to watch.
Old 2008-08-09, 11:22 PM   #28
ThisGuyIKnow
a.k.a. Jeff

Send a message via AIM to ThisGuyIKnow
If you're in the USA you can watch pretty much any event online at nbcolympics.com either live when it's happening, or after it's finished.
ThisGuyIKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 12:27 AM   #29
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seager
Anyone notice that the opening drum number was a bunch of identical looking men?
So you're saying all Chinese people look alike? That's okay... most Westerners say the same thing.

Quote:
I can't believe everyone is turning a blind how to how horrible the Chinese government is.
The olympics shouldn't be about politics...

Quote:
We're all buying it hook, line, and sinker.
Speak for yourself. I don't fish.
Old 2008-08-10, 01:00 AM   #30
Seager

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro8
So you're saying all Chinese people look alike? That's okay... most Westerners say the same thing.
That's not it at all, but I figured at least someone would respond with that. I'm saying that China is so closed off from the outside that the only people in the country, apparently, are ethnic Chinese. At the very least that seems to be what they were trying to portray. It's akin to us choosing only blond white men for our ceremonies. It's just a symptom of problems that we already know are going on.

Quote:
The olympics shouldn't be about politics...
The Olympics is about spreading goodwill and friendly competition. However, I'm not going to go out and play a friendly game of basketball with the racist wifebeater down the street. I have no problem with the Chinese people or athletes, but their government doesn't deserve to host the Olympics until they clean up their act. Everyone pretending that their shit don't stink only validates their fascist policies to the world.

Politics isn't something you can just turn on and off. A country that so flagrantly violates human rights the way China does certainly shouldn't get a "free pass" just because the magic Olympics are happening. Heck, we can't or are unwilling to pressure them economically. Refusing to give them the Olympics was the only thing we really could have done to send them a message they need to change and we gave right in. Now they know that they can get away with anything.

Tags
2008, beijing, games, olympic, started, summer, wurst