Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-02-10, 08:19 PM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

My explanation wasn't very good. White privilege is basically going through life without being treated a certain way because of your skin color or ethnic appearance. Getting jobs more easily. Getting into college. Even getting into clubs! Not being singled out by the TSA. That's part of the "real" that affects many people I know.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-11, 03:59 AM   #17
song
Unicyclist

A lot of the things you mention sound more like rights than privileges. Accepting them being called privileges is a first step toward having them taken away.

Remember the days when no one got groped or X-rayed by the TSA, and you didn't even need ID to get on a domestic flight, just a plane ticket? That's how it was for everyone at one time.

Today, if you do not belong to one of the ethnic groups that gets profiled for extra interrogation (or worse) at the airport, you can call yourself privileged if you must, but politically there is a shortsightedness to that outlook that is quite dangerous.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-12, 01:41 AM   #18
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I'm still not explaining it very well. The "privilege" is in the whiteness; the not being treated like a second class citizen or with some sort of suspicion or pre-judgement, just based on your skin color or ethnic appearance. I took it for granted until people started pointing out to me how their lives didn't go the same way.

Yes, the TSA makes flying a PITA. Not so much flying, but getting from the parking lot to the plane. And going to the bathroom on the plane too, I guess. I have TSA-pre now, which is very nice when available, but wasn't free to sign up for. That's the world we choose to live in now. I prefer a world where the Twin Towers are still standing, but that world is gone.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-12, 08:12 AM   #19
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
I'm still not explaining it very well. The "privilege" is in the whiteness; the not being treated like a second class citizen or with some sort of suspicion or pre-judgement, just based on your skin color or ethnic appearance. I took it for granted until people started pointing out to me how their lives didn't go the same way.

Yes, the TSA makes flying a PITA. Not so much flying, but getting from the parking lot to the plane. And going to the bathroom on the plane too, I guess. I have TSA-pre now, which is very nice when available, but wasn't free to sign up for. That's the world we choose to live in now. I prefer a world where the Twin Towers are still standing, but that world is gone.
I agree with this. Yes we don't have as much freedom as we once had but we don't live in the same world anymore
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soup, youtube