Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-04-09, 11:49 AM   #1
pstrick
Unicyclist
 
pstrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 45
Posts: 139
Anyone else have this problem? Two broken seatposts in a month with KH muni handle

I have had two of my nimbus seatposts break in the last month! A quick search of the forum didn't bring up anything recent about this.

I believe this is from the KH muni handle and how I ride with it. I hold and pull the handle both when hopping and on steep climbs. The added length from the handle adds leverage to the force I am pulling up with and this is transmitted directly to the seat post joint. Repeat a thousand times and voila!- I am hiking it back to the car.

Attached are pictures of the two broken posts and of my intact setup prior to the breaks. Should I not be holding the muni handle when hopping? Anyone else have this happen? Advice?

Thanks,
Paul
Attached Images
   
__________________
To learn anything, there is simply no substitute for time in the saddle
pstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 12:31 PM   #2
Piece Maker
Unicyclist
 
Piece Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,702
I've ALWAYS been worried about a problem like that with the KH T-Bars, you've just confirmed by fears! Though two breaks in however many thousands of people have one isn't much of a confirmation, the fear is renewed
__________________
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 02:22 PM   #3
rockjunkie15
Unicyclist
 
rockjunkie15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 168
That's a total bummer, have you considered using a cheaper steel 'club' seat post instead? Steel is a lot better at dealing with the repeated flexing than aluminum, it just seams a little funky to put a "cheap" post on such nice uni's. There's also the option of the KH forged seat post with adjustable head, the head is cnc'd and seams to be nicer made overall. I've never had this problem because I've been using the newer pivotal seatpost and zero saddle w/muni handle and it just flexes like crazy instead of breaking.
rockjunkie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 03:28 PM   #4
turtle
Seniorenklasse!
 
turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: liechtenstein
Age: 46
Posts: 2,799
try a stronger seat post. with the kh seat post for the zero saddle (pivot saddle post, in ever had this problem again). I really love the zero saddle. otherwise find a reinforced seat post.
__________________
If everything's under control, you're going too slow

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 05:10 PM   #5
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
Age: 51
Posts: 1,331
I had the same problem. As a previous poster mentioned, you should buy the next-generation seat-post, the one with the two hex adjustment screws for angling the seat forward and backward. That is what I have on my 26" mUni, and, knock-on-wood, it's still working fine.

You might search through some old threads comparing the KH T-Bar with the Nimbus Shadow Handle. The Shadow is a much more rigid, strong setup, AFAIK. I have it on my 29" XC/mUni and have grown increasingly fond of it. However, there's a weight penalty with the Shadow. The T-bar, by contrast, feels a little bit squishy, but I suppose it would break off if it were too rigid.

Kris seems to be responsive to the issues with current-generation gear, and he comes up with solutions in the next generation.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 06:42 PM   #6
pstrick
Unicyclist
 
pstrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 45
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
try a stronger seat post. with the kh seat post for the zero saddle (pivot saddle post, in ever had this problem again). I really love the zero saddle. otherwise find a reinforced seat post.
I am definitely going to move to the pivot seat post- although another unicyclist commented on my Strava feed when I posted pictures that he had broken the bolt connecting the zero saddle to the seat post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I had the same problem. As a previous poster mentioned, you should buy the next-generation seat-post, the one with the two hex adjustment screws for angling the seat forward and backward. That is what I have on my 26" mUni, and, knock-on-wood, it's still working fine.

You might search through some old threads comparing the KH T-Bar with the Nimbus Shadow Handle. The Shadow is a much more rigid, strong setup, AFAIK. I have it on my 29" XC/mUni and have grown increasingly fond of it. However, there's a weight penalty with the Shadow. The T-bar, by contrast, feels a little bit squishy, but I suppose it would break off if it were too rigid.

Kris seems to be responsive to the issues with current-generation gear, and he comes up with solutions in the next generation.
Probably not going to go with the Nimbus Shadow handle since I had one break after hitting the pavement too many times last summer (yeah I know people will think I am abusing these things and the problem isn't the equipment... )
__________________
To learn anything, there is simply no substitute for time in the saddle
pstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 07:45 PM   #7
pstrick
Unicyclist
 
pstrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 45
Posts: 139
In thinking about this some more, for muni at least, where the touring handle is not that long, would it make more sense for it to slide into a mount that is fitted on the seatpost tube rather than on the seat? Or would it be too prone to getting knocked off-center?
__________________
To learn anything, there is simply no substitute for time in the saddle
pstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-09, 11:03 PM   #8
newob
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 404
I think you should ask UDC to refund you the cost of both seatposts.

Last edited by newob; 2016-04-09 at 11:04 PM.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 12:32 AM   #9
unibabyguy
In Gazz We Trust
 
unibabyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 58
Posts: 473
I break a seatpost about every 18 months on average. Probably broke at least 4 now. They started breaking after I began doing more rolling hops on my Muni. I don't feel I'm putting a lot of force on the handle, but I have a carbon fiber base and a reeder handle (steel), so there's zero flex to absorb the repeated pulling of the handle.
unibabyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 03:03 AM   #10
song
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,079
My 20" used to have the Nimbus alloy seatpost shown at the start of this thread. It broke at exactly the same spot, but I don't even have a muni handle, I just do a lot of stair hopping.

When I replaced that alloy seatpost with a Nimbus CrMO seatpost, I started a thread comparing them. A guy named Brian O confirmed that the CrMO seatpost is indeed much stronger, and he has posted videos of some crazy jumps, trials and muni riding, all on a 36-inch wheel, so if anyone would know which seatposts are strong, it would be him! In any case, my replacement seatpost has not broken.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 12:38 PM   #11
pstrick
Unicyclist
 
pstrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 45
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibabyguy View Post
I break a seatpost about every 18 months on average. Probably broke at least 4 now. They started breaking after I began doing more rolling hops on my Muni. I don't feel I'm putting a lot of force on the handle, but I have a carbon fiber base and a reeder handle (steel), so there's zero flex to absorb the repeated pulling of the handle.
My seatposts were probably that old at least. Were those that you have broken all Nimbus alloy posts?
__________________
To learn anything, there is simply no substitute for time in the saddle
pstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 05:05 PM   #12
jtrops
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Age: 52
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrick View Post
In thinking about this some more, for muni at least, where the touring handle is not that long, would it make more sense for it to slide into a mount that is fitted on the seatpost tube rather than on the seat? Or would it be too prone to getting knocked off-center?
I like my touring handle attached to my seatpost. There are a couple of ways to do it. I use a Coker Pi Bar, but there are solutions that allow use of the Nimbus/KH t-handles as well. search the forums and you'll find many options.

As far as the concerns about it turning...
It only needs to be tight enough not to move when you are using it. If it is allowed to move in a crash it lessens the chance of braking something (stem, handle, seatpost...). So, I'm of the mind that it is better to have parts that can move if they need to. This goes for brake levers too.
__________________
"A properly ridden unicycle is like an object in orbit: constantly falling but never landing." -Diogenes
jtrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 10:33 PM   #13
unibabyguy
In Gazz We Trust
 
unibabyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 58
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrick View Post
My seatposts were probably that old at least. Were those that you have broken all Nimbus alloy posts?
No, I've broken GB4 universal seat posts and Miyata posts. The Miyata is kind of cheap steel; the GB4 is built way better.

It's not uncommon to break seat posts, see these threads:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...threadid=24034
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35920
unibabyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 07:07 AM   #14
kunstrasen
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jüchen, Germany
Age: 50
Posts: 262
Hi,

as mentioned above. Go for a steel Seatpost, or a reinforced Aluminium Seatpost:

http://www.einradladen.com/webshop/S...inforced-Black

Rgds
Thomas
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 06:19 PM   #15
pstrick
Unicyclist
 
pstrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 45
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibabyguy View Post
No, I've broken GB4 universal seat posts and Miyata posts. The Miyata is kind of cheap steel; the GB4 is built way better.

It's not uncommon to break seat posts, see these threads:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...threadid=24034
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35920
Thanks- good to know I'm not the only one. However I saw those threads but they are both 12+ years old- thought maybe better equipment had solved this issue.
__________________
To learn anything, there is simply no substitute for time in the saddle
pstrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broken, handle, month, muni, problem, seatposts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[For Sale: Europe] [NL] Kris Holm Fusion Zero with two seatposts rvs Trading Post 0 2014-08-31 05:58 PM
Anyone have any experience with Qu-Ax Muni's? Dustin McGraw General Unicycling Discussions 4 2013-04-09 09:49 AM
anyone else notice this Unicyclist in this ad recently gratefulbruce General Unicycling Discussions 9 2012-11-16 01:26 AM
The Unipiper - Anyone Else Seen This? SmellyGeekBoy Unicycling Videos 1 2010-12-30 03:32 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.09017 seconds with 14 queries