Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-29, 11:45 PM   #1
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Why is the view count on George Peckís '[I]Rough Terrain Unicycling[/I]' video so low

Why is the YouTube view count on George Peckís 'Rough Terrain Unicycling' video so low? [Rhetorical question]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbc76hyR3c
Iím probably responsible for at least ten of 158 views. Itís fantastic and inspirational.
Kris Peck really did a fantastic job reconstructing the original footage and synchronizing his father's narration and guitar playing.
Take a look and share it.
And after you watch it, post your favorite quote from the video. I have so many favorite quotes. Below is just one of them.

"Curbs are great for learning to roll over obstacles.
I love curbs. You canít spend enough time on curbs.Ē

Be well and keep on sharing.
Old 2017-01-29, 11:53 PM   #2
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Because this is the official video, that's an upload by some random guy.
Old 2017-01-31, 10:30 AM   #3
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Shmolagin,
Thanks for leading me to Vimeo and thanks to ”scar Romero who lead me to you. I watched all the Kris Peck unicycle/bike related videos and theyíre great. We live in a beautiful interconnected world!

George Peck: "Remember, what you're seeing here is not about what I can do on a unicycle, but what you can do.
As long as there is traction and room to maneuver, a unicycle will take you anywhere your skill allows.Ē

This statement can apply to the internet and to life. Good stuff.

Be well and keep connecting.
Old 2017-02-04, 12:23 PM   #4
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

George Peck: "Hills should be taken standing up without holding the saddle. You can get tremendous torque by getting as far forward as possible. Watch out, because this puts you as risk for a dismount out the front. The closer you get to the edge of the balance envelop the quicker youíll go through it. But you have to be at the edge to optimize performance; so go slow, get back momentarily for obstacles and scooch over them with your hips. All of which is a good trick while leaning way forward. Itís a skill that will take time and sensitivity to develop."

This quote has helped me get to the top of some very entry level hills. I can't wait to apply it to more challenging hills.

Be well and keep pushing the 'edge'.
Old 2017-02-04, 12:52 PM   #5
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

I love how he suggests wheel walking for that extra leverage on the steepest stuff.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 01:52 AM   #6
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
I love how he suggests wheel walking for that extra leverage on the steepest stuff.
George Peck: "Wheel walking is a good technique and exercise for soft or steep terrain. This is because wheel walking provides a lower affected gear ratio than pedaling. And it makes the going more interesting when it’s too easy to pedal."
------
"The other object of rough terrain cycling is to make it as interesting as possible. This berm is too easy to pedal, but it’s a reasonable challenge to wheel walk."

-------
MrImpossible, I agree. I like how he makes it sound so reasonable to choose wheel walking over pedaling.

Thanks for sharing.

Be well and keep making it interesting.

Last edited by Unisphere; 2017-02-07 at 02:16 AM.
Unisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 03:12 AM   #7
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

George Peck's video is amazing right down to the fact that he accurately predicted the ability of unicycle high jumpers like 30 years ago
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 02:40 AM   #8
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
George Peck's video is amazing right down to the fact that he accurately predicted the ability of unicycle high jumpers like 30 years ago
George Peck: "Jumping is a powerful technique that will open up lots of new territory. The rider is off the saddle and can compress right to the wheel going up or coming down. Iím up to 27 inches right now and probably pique at 30 inches. A good jumper should be able to clear 50 to 60 inches."

Pinoclean,
Maybe his wife found a crystal ball in the dump where she found the 'red unicycle' that some how got him started. You are right. It truly is an amazing video.

Thanks for sharing.

Be well and keeping on jumping (to new heights)
Old 2017-02-12, 03:04 PM   #9
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

George Peck: "There are two things to know about rough terrain unicycling. First, learning curve can be shallow and long, but not to worry. Joy in unicycling comes from the daily exercise of mental and physical challenges it provides. The improvement achieved on any particular day or plateau is less important than just doing it. Second, cycling is a grabber sport. Once you get into it, it wonít let you go. Cycling gives you a chance to get outdoors virtually anywhere, anytime, get a workout and meet a hosts of challenges. Like rock climbing, cycling doesnít alway require a big chunk of territory to be interesting. But the cycle is no slouch to putting 10 to 15 miles a day on a forest or mountain trail and itís compact enough to give you a good workout indoors."

This quote has helped me appreciate my smallest learning gains and it reminds me to enjoy every ride. It also gave me the encouragement to ride some of the leftover snow and ice from Thursday's snowfall.

Be well and may your 'learning curve' keep you hooked.
Old 2017-02-12, 04:00 PM   #10
Unicyclist Lou
Unicyclist

Unisphere thanks for starting this thread.

I loved the George Peck video. Very inspirational.

Now I'm going out to ride.
Unicyclist Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 01:24 AM   #11
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicyclist Lou View Post
I loved the George Peck video. Very inspirational.
Unicyclist Lou,
I agree that the video is very inspirational. It delivers such a solid foundation in such a simple way. Even George Peck's question, ďSo, why unicycle?Ē, is so minimalistic like the machine itself.

George Peck: "So, why unicycle? ĎCause, itís fun. Provides an endless variety of challenge. Itís adaptable to virtual almost any terrain, season or weather. Itís a good workout. Itís good cross training for other balance sports and itís relatively entry free."

Be well and stay inspired.
Old 2017-02-20, 09:46 PM   #12
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

George Peck: "I got into unicycling six years ago because I read that itís good cross training for short board windsurfing. I also knew that Stein Eriksen, the great down hill skier and now coach, advocated unicycling as a cross training activity for his skiers. Pretty soon, I was having more fun cycling than I was windsurfing. Mainly because I could cycle nearly every day and when, I have the time. Not when the wind happens to be blowing.

My experience with windsurfing has been that if I leave it for a year or so and cycle in the interim, I donít gain any windsurfing skills but I donít lose any either. The constant challenge of cycling keeps me in shape, and keeps my learning edge fresh."

Before I got my muni in October 2016, I had no time to exercise. Since I've been cycling, I can squeeze in a ride or two every weekend. It's like time has found me. I hope time starts to find me on the weekdays so that I 'could cycle nearly every day'.

Be well and keep your 'learning edge fresh'.
Old 2017-02-27, 12:12 AM   #13
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

George Peck: "Hopping is a very useful technique and one used frequently in getting over terrain without rolling. Your butt is over the saddle. Hold the saddle with the hand or just with the legs. A 12 inch hop is max for me in the seat height I prefer. 10 inches is about max for me for hands off hopping. Oops. Well, some days are like that. Hands off hopping is very useful because you can ad lib a hop in there so quickly, youíll be making save after save with this technique once itís yours."
===
Hopping is the next skill I need to practice. There are times when I'm riding and I just come to complete stop and because I can't hop, I stop! Before I start my rides, I'm going to start spending some time practicing my hops.

Be well and keep on 'making save after saves'.
Old 2017-03-24, 12:03 AM   #14
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

George Peck: "Rough terrain cycles come in two flavors - 24 inch and 26 inch wheels. The 24 inch wheel with 5 and a half inch cranks is standard. This is a fine jumping bike and a good all-round for rolling and hopping. The smaller wheel makes it easier to maneuver in big rock. The 26 inch wheel with 6 and a half inch cranks is a better rolling bike. The longer cranks give 20% more torque and the bigger wheel gives slightly more floatation. And because of the alloyed cranks, this bike is actually lighter than the 24 inch cycle. The 26 is a rolling beauty. This would be my cycle of choice for doing forest and mountain trails where rolling is the primary activity. And the factory studded tire is available for ice and snow work
Overall, however, the 24 inch wheel is the most versatile. This is the bike that goes with me everywhere. Well, so much for basics. Letís get going."

===
Well, in October 2016, I started with a 29Ē inch muni with 150/125 cranks. Might I say that itís a ďrolling beautyĒ. Then, I got myself a 24 inch muni with 150/125 cranks so I could take it ďwith me everywhereĒ. I recently took it to Georgia. I just bought 165/137 cranks to give my 29 inch muni a little more torque. I canít wait to try the new cranks. And yes, forgive me, but as you know from reading this post, I really dig this video.

Be well and keep searching for that perfect crank & wheel ratio.
Old 2017-04-04, 01:11 AM   #15
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

George Peck: "You can cycle inside or outside, from car or house. You can cycle winter or summer, rain or snow, mountains or beach, forest or city. You can unicycle virtually anywhere you have floatation, traction and room to maneuver. Equipment cost are relatively low. An entry level unicycle will cost less than a hundred and fifty dollars. Protective gear, about another fifty dollars. This will get you started. Eventually, you’ll want to beaf up the stock cycle. But, more on that later. Maintenance is minimal. There are no chains, gears, cables, sails, lines, or car racks to deal with. Just throw the cycle behind the seat and off you go. If you are flying, break the cycle down and put it in a box. I never leave town without it, literally. No matter where I’m going, flying or driving, I take the cycle with me and I also cycle where ever I go. It’s a go anywhere do anything machine."

====
So, part of the reason for getting my 24" muni was so that I could take it anywhere. How many of us "just throw the cycle behind the seat and off" we go? And how many of us are old enough to remember not spending more than $150 dollars on a unicycle? (see the 1973 Sears catalog ad below). My first unicycle was $50.

Be well and go anywhere with your do anything machine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Unisphere; 2017-04-04 at 01:12 AM.
Unisphere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, george, george peck, low, peckís, rough, rough terrain unicycling, terrain, unicycling, video, view