Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-10-19, 06:54 AM   #31
tstessney
Unicyclist

Well, I finally got it today. I was riding down the street on the Coker. A lady in a minivan speeds up from behind me, brakes hard and makes a right turn in front of me, cutting me off. I wasn't going fast (I had the 150s on) and was only about 2 feet from the intersection when she whipped in front of me. I let out a few loud "WHOAs", quickly dismounted off the back and the rear quarter panel of the van hit my red platforms. No damage to me or the uni, but it left a nice set of gouges in her sheet metal.
She attempted to set me straight:
1. Are you even allowed on the street on that thing?
2. I didn't think you were going that fast.
3. I think I have the right-of-way.
4. I had my turn signal on.
5. Didn't YOU see ME?
I did a fairly good job keeping my cool while I shot down each of her excuses. Finally she asked if I was OK, to which I responded "Yes! Thank God I'm not DEAD!", but I informed her that the damage to her vihicle was her problem.
I remounted and started on my way. Half a block down the road, an off duty police officer slowed down beside me and asked if I was OK. He had been sitting at the traffic light at the intersection where the incident occurred. I assured him I was OK and everyone went on their merry way.
I hope that this is my "when not if" moment, but I highly doubt it. The majority of drivers do seem to see me on the uni partly because it is such an oddity around Central Pa. But there are always those who are completely oblivious to anyone else on the road - preoccupied with makeup, cell phone, kids in the back seat, cataracts etc.
I will take some of the blame only in that I was on a fairly busy road at a bad time of day - 3:30pm - when school lets out, and I quickly moved over to the side streets for the rest of the ride.
Be careful out there - the world's a dangerous place.
tstessney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 10:40 AM   #32
La Rueda Perdida
Unicyclist

Drivers who hit pedestrians and immediately drive off as fast as they can to avoid getting in trouble is one of the most disturbing things I can think of about our society.
La Rueda Perdida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 03:55 PM   #33
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rueda Perdida View Post
Drivers who hit pedestrians and immediately drive off as fast as they can to avoid getting in trouble is one of the most disturbing things I can think of about our society.
I agree. However, I've recently witnessed an individual who admitted involvement in something similar and was screwed royally for it. It's not just the running away that's disturbing, but sometimes the "justice" that's dealt out.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 05:17 PM   #34
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Report everything and anything, only by reporting does the threat of punishment prevent the crime.

Sadly, after many years and thousands of miles riding on the road, I no longer feel safe competing for space with cars, so I don't ride or run roads unless they're closed to automobile traffic.

Simply said, they don't care, they expect us to take responsibility for their irresponsibility.

It is a sad reflection on society, but it is the society we have created, so we're all responsible for the monster.

Yesterda, while stopping for a pedestrian in a cross walk, cars approaching in the opposite lane did not stop. As I flashed my lights and the cars kept coming, I turned slightly into the opposing lane, just enough to get the oncoming driver's attention. And yeah, I got her attention, she cursed at me and continued driving her very large SUV through the cross walk without stopping. Fortunately the pedestrian was paying attention and waited until all the cars stopped.

So sad.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 06:30 PM   #35
tstessney
Unicyclist

Here in Altoona Pa, we call pedestrian crosswalks "sucker walks" because you have to be an idiot to think cars will obey the law and stop for pedestrians. We even have 3 foot high moveable flouresent signs that they place on each side of the crossing reminding people of the cross walk laws - they get tossed in the parking lots or run over. Central Pa is not pedestrian friendly. We have a 5-lane highway that cuts right through the middle of the city that does not have a pedestrian cross walk for 5 miles. It's a shooting gallery.
Old 2011-10-20, 12:54 AM   #36
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstessney View Post
He had been sitting at the traffic light at the intersection where the incident occurred. I assured him I was OK and everyone went on their merry way.
Wow, so nice to know the cops are out there working so hard! So you were struck by a moving vehicle and that guy just watched the whole event? Strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rueda Perdida View Post
Sadly, there's nothing new about it. Running away from responsibility is so easy to do in a motor vehicle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmer View Post
I've recently witnessed an individual who admitted involvement in something similar and was screwed royally for it. It's not just the running away that's disturbing, but sometimes the "justice" that's dealt out.
Beware the stories told by your friends about accident situations that seem unjust. Though this can happen too, more often it is likely that the teller of the story is leaving out important details, or possibly even lacks full understanding of the gravity of the situation they were involved in.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 10:11 AM   #37
tstessney
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Wow, so nice to know the cops are out there working so hard! So you were struck by a moving vehicle and that guy just watched the whole event? Strange.
I've lived here all my life. I don't know how it is where you live, but around here you can get extremely frustrated and waste alot of time waiting/expecting/demanding/requesting/pleading for the police "to protect and to serve". No one was hurt. I gave her a verbal lashing. Remount and move on with my ride to the lake. Otherwise I would have wasted an afternoon of riding and had absolutly nothing to show for it. (I choose my battles with a bias towards ones that I actually have a chance to win.)

Tags
car, hit