Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-08-12, 02:35 PM   #16
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddbmxdude View Post
...we want to drive ... crash...
Not the best choice of words there Ed.
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 03:02 PM   #17
UniBrier
Time To Ride

Looks like you're not the only one. Just got an e-mail from my sister regarding their old Astro van:

"we sold our van this weekend. A young man from Perth, Australia and his buddy are living and traveling in Canada and bought it for that purpose."

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 03:19 PM   #18
Jeremy R
onceuponatimetherewasaper son

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy R
Canada is the answer. Since Canada is technically considered part of The United Kingdom, getting a car there should be easy. Going between US and Canada is much easier.

Maybe yes, maybe not, but it is worth some research.
Jeremy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 11:29 PM   #19
moredrunkmale

hey guys, I am thinking the same thing. I'm 22, British, and would like to do route 66 in the Summer of 2011 with a friend or 2. It looks like renting a small car for 3 weeks is like $3000. So it seems buying a car for a month or so and then selling it is the best option.

I have a friend who lives in Chicago (conveniently the start of the route-66 journey). What should I ask of him regard this. I can send him money easy enough.
Do I just need him to buy me the car, then register/insure it in his own name. Then when I get there he can just add me to the policy?

Is this all good?
moredrunkmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:41 AM   #20
Wheel Rider
From the Over 50 Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by moredrunkmale View Post
hey guys, I am thinking the same thing. I'm 22, British, and would like to do route 66 in the Summer of 2011 with a friend or 2. It looks like renting a small car for 3 weeks is like $3000. So it seems buying a car for a month or so and then selling it is the best option.
Your quote of $3,000 seemed real high so I researched a 3-week car rental from Chicago to San Franciso. Wow! A one-way rental is really expensive. Maybe you should consider driving the car back to Chicago, you could save over half the rental cost. Take a different route back. See more of the USA.

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease. - Voltaire
Wheel Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:46 AM   #21
downtube
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddbmxdude View Post
... P.S. Its a crazy system you Americans have!
System? We don't really have a system, more like wibbly wobbly stuff, you know?
downtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 11:15 PM   #22
siafirede
Flex Your Head

I am not sure about buying, but as far as renting goes...Most places will rent to you if you are 21+, but if you are under 25 they charge you twice as much on the flat rate per day. Example cost would be something like...
$27 a day + an extra $27 (under 25 fee), $10+ insurance per day, and then if you want to insure both drivers it will be an extra fee AND on top of that extra fee another fee if the other drive is also under 25.

So, even if just one person is allowed to drive it will be at least 60 bucks per day (and that would be a round trip fee, one way would be more).

Buying would probably be cheaper in the long run if you are going to be gone for a month, I used my own vehicle when I drove across the States a few years ago and it was absolutely a blast. Bring a tent that will comfortably fit you and your friend and you can just camp every night like my friend and I did.

I highly suggest going through Colorado and Utah as they were the best part of the trip. You are free to crash at my place and can go riding with me out in the Rocky Mountains if you want.

Places I highly recommend visiting/hiking/camping: Great Sand Dunes National Park, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon National Park, Yosemite, Sequoya NP, Yellowstone, Moab (Arches, Canyonlands).

Cities worth checking out: DC, Chicago, NYC (I don't really like NYC, but tourists all go crazy over it), San Francisco, Seattle, and Denver of course.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any more info, and as you get closer to your trip I can shoot you my contact info if you want a place to crash for a few days in Colorado.
Old 2010-01-10, 02:04 AM   #23
trickcyclist
Unicyclist

The easiest thing would be to wait three years, be twenty-five, and rent an RV.
trickcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 02:07 AM   #24
Wheel Rider
From the Over 50 Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by siafirede View Post
I am not sure about buying, but as far as renting goes...Most places will rent to you if you are 21+, but if you are under 25 they charge you twice as much on the flat rate per day. Example cost would be something like...
I have never understood the extra fees charged by car rental agencies.

If I rent a $30,000 car and wreck it, I have to pay for it.

If I have a second driver who wrecks the car, the car still costs $30,000 so why do I have to pay extra for rent?

If someone is under 25 (I did not know anyone under 25 could rent a car) and they wreck the car, the car still costs $30,000 so why do they have to pay extra for being under 25?

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease. - Voltaire
Wheel Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 05:16 AM   #25
evil-nick
Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
Send a message via ICQ to evil-nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
Canada is the answer. Since Canada is technically considered part of The United Kingdom, getting a car there should be easy. Going between US and Canada is much easier.
Needs research, being a citizen of the Commonwealth doesn't give you automatic entry, so registering the car might be a prob.
evil-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 06:31 AM   #26
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Rider View Post
I have never understood the extra fees charged by car rental agencies.

If I rent a $30,000 car and wreck it, I have to pay for it.

If I have a second driver who wrecks the car, the car still costs $30,000 so why do I have to pay extra for rent?

If someone is under 25 (I did not know anyone under 25 could rent a car) and they wreck the car, the car still costs $30,000 so why do they have to pay extra for being under 25?
It is all supposedly based on statistics, it costs more to insure a driver if they are under 25 because in that age group more accidents occur. It is kind of the same reason auto insurance companies can get away with charging more based on gender and age.

I have always had an issue with the overt gender discrimination in auto insurance policies. In any other industry you would have discrimination lawsuits for such practices, how can insurance companies get away with it? It seems unjust to me that we are required by law to have auto insurance, and that insurance rate is calcuated based on gender and age discrimination.
Old 2010-01-10, 07:05 AM   #27
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
I have always had an issue with the overt gender discrimination in auto insurance policies.
But if is it discrimination when it's true? The numbers don't lie. That said, each of us who has been driving for at least several years has a driving record. I guess they can't conveniently use that because of the costs associated with looking it up. Perhaps it's cheaper to just go with the averages?

I'm happy to have survived over 2000 km of driving all over New Zealand without a scratch. On highways with one-lane bridges. On one-lane bridges that also contained the railroad tracks in that same lane! On crazy switchbacks. On the wrong side of the road.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2010-01-10 at 07:06 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 07:12 AM   #28
GILD

Quote:
insurance rate is calculated based on gender and age discrimination.
Can you imagine the backlash if they added a racial component?
Old 2010-01-10, 07:36 AM   #29
siafirede
Flex Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
But if is it discrimination when it's true? The numbers don't lie.
It is still discrimination if the statistics are real.

The numbers don't lie, but they also don't justify discrimination. Adding the more contested attribute to the mix highlights the point. Going on what GILD said...can you imagine the backlash if a company, government official, etc., discriminated against someone based on race and then said "Hey, it isn't discrimination look at the statistics...they don't lie!" Statistics meaning...whites are more likely to __________, blacks are more likely to __________. It seems like only the insurance companies can get away with these kind of overt policies based on gender. I understand gender discrimination happens all over the place, but since it is illegal everywhere else, they("they" meaning any company or industry that is not an insurance company) have to be more covert in how they do it.

Last edited by siafirede; 2010-01-10 at 07:37 AM.
siafirede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 07:39 AM   #30
GILD

We have "First For Women" insurance in this country.

Their TV ads are all in this vein.

Tags
america, buying, car, driving