Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-05-29, 03:16 AM   #1
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
The Vegetarian Appreciation Thread!

So umm yeah, I'm vegetarian. Have been for about 5 years. I've recently become more involved with animals rights and things of the sort... Just wondering if there are any other vegetarian unicyclists around.

Heres a pretty "hip" site that some of your youngsters may want to check out. www.peta2.com

Ya'reeeee
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 04:52 AM   #2
SqueakyOnion
likes to debate things :D

Send a message via AIM to SqueakyOnion
I browsed that site for a little, reading the forums, and it sounded like a lot of vegetarians were being crucified by vegans for not being making the jump to being vegan. Jeez. Turns me off even more from even trying to ever be vegan or veg.

Maybe I should tell them that. Or maybe I dont really care.

Live with intention. Walk to the edge.
SqueakyOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 04:53 AM   #3
RaikageNinja
RaikageNinja

Yeah dude, I've been vegetarian for about 6 months. Mainly because a vegetarian diet is healthier and I've just never liked meat all that much.
RaikageNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 04:59 AM   #4
Goats_On_Unicycles
Nice kids don't drop acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyOnion
I browsed that site for a little, reading the forums, and it sounded like a lot of vegetarians were being crucified by vegans for not being making the jump to being vegan. Jeez. Turns me off even more from even trying to ever be vegan or veg.

awww c'mon. There's crappy veggies, vegans and omnivours. The majority of most of them are really quite nice.

I'm veggie. I also only eat organic dairy products where the animals are quite well taken care of.
I've been veggie for 6 years or something.

If my government ever decides to blow me up, I hope they will choose to do it in a humane way also.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle
Goats_On_Unicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 06:10 AM   #5
uni57
Dave Lowell

I'm a carnivore. Suffice it to say that I have no plans of changing (and I hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another debate). But if you don't mind this meat-eater participating in the discussion, I'd love to hear people's stories. So --

Given that*...

- it's probably not the diet you started out with
- it's an extreme diet (eliminating an entire food group)
- there are concerns about getting enough of certain nutrients

... why did you switch to vegetarianism?

... how much research did you do before switching?

... do you feel better on this diet? Or the same?

... do you ever miss meat (like bacon)? I know I would.

* - These are not meant to be judgmental. I think it's extremely fair and reasonable to make these three claims. I'm mainly pointing out that deciding to switch to vegetarianism shouldn't have been taken lightly (and probably wasn't).
uni57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 09:03 AM   #6
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
I'm not a vegeterian, but i apprecite vegeterians. However, I really do not apprecite the violation of human rights in the name of animal rights, as unfortunately happens here with some regularity at the moment.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 09:15 AM   #7
1-wheeled-grape
Scott

Send a message via MSN to 1-wheeled-grape
Someone told me to be a vegetarian once, saying its healthier than what you eat now. But i like meat too much. What I dont get is why vegetarian "meat", I cant remamber what its called, but why does it look like meat (sausages and burgers) when they don't want to eat meat? It just sounds rather strange to me.

Any way i have no intention of becoming a vegitarian, I mean if were not supposed to eat meat, why does it taste so good?
Old 2008-05-29, 10:30 AM   #8
jamessd
Recreational unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to jamessd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-wheeled-grape
Someone told me to be a vegetarian once, saying its healthier than what you eat now. But i like meat too much. What I dont get is why vegetarian "meat", I cant remamber what its called, but why does it look like meat (sausages and burgers) when they don't want to eat meat? It just sounds rather strange to me.

Any way i have no intention of becoming a vegitarian, I mean if were not supposed to eat meat, why does it taste so good?
Quorn.
Old 2008-05-29, 10:44 AM   #9
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni57
I'm a carnivore. Suffice it to say that I have no plans of changing (and I hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another debate). But if you don't mind this meat-eater participating in the discussion, I'd love to hear people's stories. So --

Given that*...

- it's probably not the diet you started out with
- it's an extreme diet (eliminating an entire food group)
- there are concerns about getting enough of certain nutrients

... why did you switch to vegetarianism?

... how much research did you do before switching?

... do you feel better on this diet? Or the same?

* - These are not meant to be judgmental. I think it's extremely fair and reasonable to make these three claims. I'm mainly pointing out that deciding to switch to vegetarianism shouldn't have been taken lightly (and probably wasn't).

Your a carnivor? You ONLY eat meat? I don't wanna be a smartass but I think you mean your an omnivour.

I became a vegetarian because I simply love animals.

I did absolutely no researching before hand, it just felt right.

I feel exactly the same on this diet. Basically because It was so long ago that I ate meat, and I've changed in so many ways. My diets pretty shit really, lots of junk :P

There are only nutrient concerns if your a freaking idiot. All my fellow veggies will agree with me there...

And no I don't miss meat. But, I do miss how easy it is, fast food etc. Its a real hassle sometimes, but just knowing you have the will power to beat something like that is freakin sweet.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2008-05-29 at 10:53 AM.
Old 2008-05-29, 10:47 AM   #10
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessd
Quorn.
...is more expensive than even pretty high quality real meat. There are far superiour meat alternatives out there, my current favourite is textured vegetable protein made from dried defatted soya beans. Incredibly cheap (50p for equivalent of 800g of meat), infinite shelf life, makes a better bolognaise than cheap meat.

Also many of the more processed meat alternatives (fake sausgaes et al) have an awful lot of salt in them.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 10:47 AM   #11
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyOnion

I know what you mean. Its quite a pain really. I'm not very comfortable around vegans because I think their always trying to turn me...

I live on a farm and only eat dairy products that I have researched or that are local.

I don't see the need to be vegan.

Ya'reeeee
Old 2008-05-29, 10:50 AM   #12
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-wheeled-grape

I've tried these "meat subsitutes". Their incredabley stupid. This is for the fake vegetarians, or people that are having trouble adjusting.

I simpley can't bring myself to eat things that are made to look, smell and/or taste like meat. It truely makes me sick haha.

Oh yeah, I agree that meat tastes friggin awesome. But its the guilt that kills me. Thats why I gave it up. Unlike the cavemen, we're smart enough to find alternatives.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2008-05-29 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2008-05-29, 10:59 AM   #13
sp4rky-m4rky
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to sp4rky-m4rky
I dont think I will ever leave meat and become even a vegitarian. I have never understood why people become vegitarians and vegans. Maybe you could enlighten me....
my Year in vid
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my unispin tutorial
Want to glide? watch my ww tutorial
sp4rky-m4rky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 11:03 AM   #14
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4rky-m4rky
I dont think I will ever leave meat and become even a vegitarian. I have never understood why people become vegitarians and vegans. Maybe you could enlighten me....

I guess its just a personal thing eh? I'm the youngest child in my family. And apparently studies show that the youngest child is often given household chores such as feeding/cleaning the pets etc.

I've always been close to my pets.

One day my family moved from the city onto a farm, my mother decided we'd become "real farmers" and attempt to live off the land. We eventually got some livestock that we hand fed and raised from their birth. And of course, I was young, I named every single one of them and became attatched. Then mother decided it'd be a great idea to eat one of them. And I basically just decided right then and there that I'd become a vegetarian and save these animals lives.

And ummm yeah... Thats why FOR ME, I think its just a personal thing.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2008-05-29 at 11:04 AM.
Old 2008-05-29, 11:23 AM   #15
yoopers
Unicyclist

Send a message via Yahoo to yoopers
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni57
What? There's meat in bacon? I never knew that. I'll have to look more closely next time.
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one can assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys

Last edited by yoopers; 2008-05-29 at 11:23 AM.
yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appreciation, banmaestro, maestro8mustbebanned, maestromustbebanned, moaning, thread, unibikeling_asshole, vegetarian, veggiesupremacy, vegs'against'maestro'09!, wurst