Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-09, 07:23 AM   #1
hooonza

Rim width

Hello,

does have anyone experience, or just know or just guess :-) the difference how is the same 29/3,25" tire behaving when put on different rim? E.g. KH have 47-55 mm, QX 45 mm, Nimbus 42 mm...

Thanks for sharing!
hooonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-09, 10:51 AM   #2
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

The wider rims will give a little more volume and make the tire a bit more squarish on the surface, while the narrower rim give a more round profile. There were drawings in bike magazines when plus size tires and wider rims came up, however can´t find a propper link.

I would not expect to feel a (major) difference in a blind test using the same plus size tire with the same pressure on the the above mentioned rims. Certainly a 3,25 inch tire on a narrow rim (e.g. 20mm inner width) will not ride well and you will feel the difference.

Are you considering building a Muni wheel? Then you should think about a mtb rim, there is much more choice and most of them are lighter, even the DH versions.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-09, 01:43 PM   #3
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I don't have a ton of experience with rim/tire combinations. However, I found a nice combination on my 24" muni with a KH 47mm rim and a 2.1" wide Schwalbe Smart Sam tire. I may be wrongly attributing the effects, but the combination of wider rim and narrower tire handled much better, particularly while turning. I think the setup limits the side-to-side flex of the tire. This setup only works because I have relatively high tire pressure; otherwise, there would be more risk damaging the rim.

If this is your first muni, I suggest picking a middle-of-the-road tire/rim combination, such as what comes on packaged unis. I would avoid fat tires unless there is something specific about the terrain you mostly ride on that calls for it.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-09, 02:07 PM   #4
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooonza View Post
Hello,

does have anyone experience, or just know or just guess :-) the difference how is the same 29/3,25" tire behaving when put on different rim? E.g. KH have 47-55 mm, QX 45 mm, Nimbus 42 mm...

Thanks for sharing!
The shape behaves like Kunstrasen described. The tire gets more rounded with a narrower rim. Might have some influence on how it feels with road/trail camber, but I'm not sure if anyone has tried that.

The wider the rim for the same size tire, the less it moves side to side when turning. So a wider rim will feel more direct, and less floaty. Side to side floatiness is never a good thing.

You will however loose some ability to run a slimmer tire. A 55mm with a 2" tire would probably not work. So keep that in mind.
Old 2019-04-10, 05:50 PM   #5
hooonza

thanks all

Thanks all for sharing.
So generally in curvy and offroad terrain/trails the U profile (with wider rims) make the ride more stable..... then rather the O profile....
hooonza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rim, width