Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-26, 04:45 PM   #31
Bradford
Corporate Escapee

Just my $0.02:

Overall, I think there are very few people that want to go as fast on a unicycle as they would on a road bike. I certainly would not. At best, it would be a niche of a niche market, so I wouldn't expect to ever sell very many of these. It would seem to only appeal to rich, crazy people that don't mind risking serious injury, or those that would purchase it just for the novelty of it.

I'm also curious about your intent here. You have no real experience or close friends or associates that ride, or at least in this extreme, fringe of unicycling. As far as I can tell, no one in the unicycle world knows who you are. You have no prototype to show, but you make big promises, and then there's the question of why, with your apparent lack of insight into this, would you think it would be a good idea?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just being frank. If you are serious, I think this approach is going to be a hard sell. I'd really encourage you to spend more time asking "why", and at least build a prototype that you can show before asking other people to get directly involved.

Best of luck. While admittedly, I'd likely never buy your product, I appreciate the engineering effort that goes into these things and hope to see photos or video of it someday.
Old 2017-01-26, 05:56 PM   #32
LanceB
This space available

Just a suggestion to the OP. Look up Justin LE in the search feature, and read about some of his projects. While not exactly the same as yours, his creations are very innovative, and they work. You may want to solicite his advice, or perhaps his collaboration. He's very talented. (And a very good rider.)

(Gilby can delete a post/thread, but really, I see no reason to delete this thread. It's not any less interesting that most threads, and compared to some, more so.)

Last edited by LanceB; 2017-01-26 at 05:58 PM.
LanceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-26, 09:37 PM   #33
bouin-bouin
Didier

Well said Bradford
My 3 gears hub project is still slowly ongoing, will inform you when there will be interesting progress
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-26, 10:07 PM   #34
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Bradford, I am obviously doing this for personal reasons, obtaining a geared unicycle has been a dream of mine. Originally I saw a potential market to give people who could not afford the Schlumpf hub a chance to afford a geared unicycle but I decided that I would pull out all the stops and aim for the "moon" by cramming as many speeds into a hub as possible. I do however plan to sell conversion kits to convert standard unicycles to dual chains which should be an affordable option.

Let me tell you more about myself, at least about my unicycling particularly. First of all I like speed and I really mean I like speed. I had two aspirations. 1 to be the first Downhill mountain unicyclist (of course you guys know that is taken), and I wanted to be the Guinness world record for fastest Unicycle land speed (of course guinness turned down my record attempt)....anyways I understand geared unicycles are not for everyone...but geared unicycles are definately for me or anyone who wants 1

I admit this post is a little premature, and unicycling is a niche, but It is my belief that the smaller niche you are marketing than the less people will want to or actually exist to compete with you. I've gotten lots of interesting people who ride unicycles interested in this post so I accomplished that already, probably a little too early. I'mean sure any Ole person who knows how to ride a unicycle could be a future demonstrater/tester of my product should it come to fruition but I am quite pleased with the people who have replied.

Back to the niche market thing. Let me tell you that I also love motorcycles and cars, and those are big markets., but if you think that makes it easy to succeed in such a market than you would be severely mistaken. I can not compete with Any of the big 3 (Ford, Chevy, etc.) NOR WOULD I WANT TO since I work for one of them. Now as far as motorcycles go it'seems the same dilemma. Plus it will cost A LOT MORE TO BUILD A PROTOTYPE CAR OR MOTORCYCLE. I don't know what to say, I just absolutely despise anything on 2 wheels without a motor ( i am a motorized bicycle motorcycle snob lol...I don't think it makes me better though), and I got into unicycles to replace bicycles. That'said my story.

Now I was thinking of planning to hire someone in the future because I know there are more popular (not as important as the other attributes), skilled, and "hungry" unicyclist who are not afraid to "push the envelope" of the sport of unicycling. I only just seem to ride in my comfort level......plus you can't be a good "professional" athlete in 3 different sports...I have other financial athletic goals and aspirations but I love unicycling,...I mean if I don't put all these gears on a unicycle who else will????
UnimakerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-26, 10:19 PM   #35
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

I know I can't expect everyone to not be cynical considering i've already have some of the top unicyclist interested. While I am not offended, this sure as heck won't stop me from attempting to do what I want to do. I only wish other people, like the man in post number #33 actually does come out with his 3 speed, I would be delighted to actually see something on the market someday, that is the reason I am doing this. I myself am tired of waiting so instead of waiting 15 years for some greedy rich bicycle company to actually look into this I want to attempt it for myself and other people who are actually wanting to go faster.

Really I would hate to make this a competition, I am really enjoying the close knit community of unicycling and the ones who are helping instead of holding progress back.
I was once a member of the Redford Unicycle club as well, so I was associating with unicyclist before all this.
Old 2017-01-26, 10:30 PM   #36
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

I think a good thing before even thinking about building a geared unicycle is riding thousands of miles with a Schlumpf geared unicycle, on different wheel sizes to well understand the needs by living it.

I mean, a schlumpf unicycle can feel very tricky at first, and you can arrive to the conclusion that 17/11 :1 is a bit too much, but then, after hundreds/thousands of miles on it, you can find the 1.545454 as a max top gear ratio a bit too low, on a 29er for example, compared to a bike with the same wheel size, bikers will pedal way slower than you.

If you have very few experience with shlumpf hub and want to build a two gears unicycle for example, you can project to build a geared unicycle with 1:1 and 1.33:1 ratio just because you haven't ride long enough to feel the need of bigger ratio.
So my point is experience can make a good idea et even better one.

By the way, have you been riding a geared unicycle UnimakerX? (sorry if the answer has already been given)
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Last edited by UniDreamerFR; 2017-01-26 at 10:35 PM.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-26, 10:37 PM   #37
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Also Bradford, the fact I am not "big" in unicycling is of course why I am just in a way "settling" to build Unicycle related items, I already explained I am no Unigeezer or Kris holm, which is why I am looking to hire someone else. I don't need or want all the attention in my personal life, I already explained this.

You of course don't have to be famous to start a business I would hope and nothing is going to stop me from trying to build this 4 or 5 speed hub short of me dying in a high speed unicycling accident while juggling chainsaws bro. (That was a joke)

You guys must be working with schlumpf or the guy in post #33, which I explained earlier this isn't about stealing anyones "Thunder"....i'm sure everyone thought Leonardo DaVinci and/or the Wright brothers were crazy....I mean somebody could always say why ride a unicycle...and I say the reason is because of course I want to good grief lol, why do anything these days.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-26 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Mispelling and adjustment to statement.
Old 2017-01-26, 10:59 PM   #38
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
I think a good thing before even thinking about building a geared unicycle is riding thousands of miles with a Schlumpf geared unicycle, on different wheel sizes to well understand the needs by living it.

I mean, a schlumpf unicycle can feel very tricky at first, and you can arrive to the conclusion that 17/11 :1 is a bit too much, but then, after hundreds/thousands of miles on it, you can find the 1.545454 as a max top gear ratio a bit too low, on a 29er for example, compared to a bike with the same wheel size, bikers will pedal way slower than you.

If you have very few experience with shlumpf hub and want to build a two gears unicycle for example, you can project to build a geared unicycle with 1:1 and 1.33:1 ratio just because you haven't ride long enough to feel the need of bigger ratio.
So my point is experience can make a good idea et even better one.

By the way, have you been riding a geared unicycle UnimakerX? (sorry if the answer has already been given)
The answer is no

I am definately or was definately considering getting a Schlumpf hub, and the people who designed obviously did a great job as I hear it is quite durable. It just seems $1750 could get me some nice blueprints for my sketches at the unicycle factory, so I plan on spending every last penny on that, a couple of years later you guys might actually see it lol. That gives plenty of room for other 3 speed innovations in the mean time. Currently I am thinking of testing or having other people test dual chain unicycles with different gear ratios. I would also love to collaborate with a company such as Schlumpf or Shimano or Nuvinci or Sturmey or Archer, but with the exception of Schlumpf none of them take unicycles seriously...go figure (sarcasm)...but that's life.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-26 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spell correction made incorrections
Old 2017-01-26, 11:00 PM   #39
Cousin Itt
Unicyclist

Why not post a poll here and ask who would be interested in purchasing such a product and what they would be willing to pay for it?
Old 2017-01-27, 03:40 AM   #40
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Cousin Itt

thankyou for your feedback

I think like you said earlier it'd be too early for that. I sure as heck got some interest on this page lol....you talk about revolutionizing Unicycle technology and boy you either like the ideal or you hate it.

Now caution: I have a long one for those who feel like wasting there time reading all this

This was about money to some extent, but it is a personal thing, so I am going to chill on posting threads or even polls about it for a little while....like I said before I LOVE SPEED, and I want to truly replace my bicycle (by the way I stopped owning bicycles years ago).

I know zooming around on a unicycle may make some of you squeamish, but I would never ever say something "like I would never want to go as fast as a road bike goes" lol, because to me I don't care if someone else said it but if I said it, it would be "sacrilege" since in the sense that I am truly talking of "competing" with bicycles now because for a while before Kris holm or the Unigeezer or I knew about Redford Unicycling club none of my immediate friends and family knew Unicycles existed. I never want it to get that way again here, I want people to be aware that you can use a unicycle as viable transportation, or for the sport/novelty of it, whatever you want.

Unicycling takes Loyalty, commitment, and dedication to learn, as with business or making geared unicycles.

IMO there is way more marketability for Dual chain unicycles due to affordability, again, 1 speed, very simple, Justin has 1 as you mentioned, the Purple Phazer is another example as well.

Now about geared hubs; Unfortunately importation from some countries doesn't make anything cheaper either , Like import taxes on European products, or European taxes on American products, looks like if there ever is a 5 speed "American made" unicycle than Some countries will have to unfortunately deal with the taxes, and vice versa, so that being said this French guy I keep hearing about can rest easy, like his product will be a little bit cheaper in his country than in in my country and # 2 it's going to take some extensive testing, research, and development to get this thing going, as well as plenty of money which I whole heartedly plan to invest in it just to make it real for the interested and worst case scenario myself. It's not like (personal information alert) once I pay off some bills here that my current employment won't allow me to invest at least 20 grand a year or more if I didn't have to pay for living arrangement/expenses---sure I'd be willing to spend tens of thousands just to make 1 prototype! I'm sure doing so with a car or a motorcycle would cost millions if not billions (depending on what car we are talking about) and take decades to develop.

I am hoping to give all unicyclist over the entire world options for the willing though.

Right now my goal is to make professional quality blueprints and make rough prototypes (they won't be ride-able) for demonstration purposes only. Eventually though if it turns out only 10 people on the planet earth want one, and they wind up getting 1 I still think that's pretty awesome as I never had the opportunity to just throw money at this to get 1...XD.

Another issue that I hear is that only rich people can get such a product, that's part of the reason that I was working (and may still be offering) with dual chain products

I don't believe it's just a rich persons thing to have a geared unicycle hub though, unless you are at poverty level, what I think it is, is distribution of money, for example if you are an middle class adult you can afford a 20-30 grand car. well cars can be as cheap as 2 grand, now you spend 100k on a house, imagine is you could by an old used 50 k house (and I'm not talking about some run down crime ridden city, were talking country side etc.). imagine if you made 28K (not what I make and way lower than minimum wage) a year, you could finance the house and the car and you would still have around maybe 10k to spare a year...or even better you are 18 and live at home and make 15k a year, that will leave you around slightly more, etc.

I will plan to eventually start the intended company by getting my ideal company name legally licensed as a company eventually, all that cost money and unfortunately now I only have few k a year to spare at the moment on development considering my excessive bills, now I've told you guys a little too much about my personal life, this is not about making a big name in the Unicycle world for myself, in fact unless you can contribute in someway to this project I'd rather not have people know who I really am....I don't need the attention, other more skilled unicyclist deserve that

hopefully that gives you guys a better understanding of my intentions and commitment level.

Unicycles have 1 benefit over bicycles which I use to excuse my obsession, they can fit in car trunks, bicycles are cumbersome and break down due to complexity easily that being said, having a geared hub on a unicycle isn't going to reduce complexity, and my first ever unicycle was some cheap piece of junk that broke apart in 2 months, I had to upgrade.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 03:42 AM.
Old 2017-01-27, 04:02 AM   #41
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

This is kind of the most exciting thing that's happened all year (only been 26 days though) never had so much fun having educated debates/discussions....only with unicycles XD

#1 The biggest issue is going to be durability and affordability of course--because the bike companies sure already put like 14+ speeds in an internal hub--

#2 according to theory and sketches I have made it should work but I won't know for sure I am hoping XD.

#3 Perhaps each gearing will have to be cater built to certain wheel sizes and the differences in ratios will have to be smaller I would assume for those not looking for speed.

#4 Please feel free to be inspired to build hubs and/or gearing systems of you own so people can actually try for themselves etc.

#5 Mass producing would make everything cheaper than what it is, and you imagine if unicyclist amounted to 1/100 of bicyclist in the world....that's a lot of people, not compared to other cyclist but just overall

#6 As far as my personal experience I have ridden up to a 29 inch wheel size. The only thing about the geared unicycle seems to be that higher gearing may put torsion on the frame twisting the seat out from under the rider.

#7 Mainly a speed thing for me, not a long distance thing. Higher speed/gearing does not equal better for long distances.

#8 Danger is relative when if you have ridden 60+ mph wheelies on motorcycle on the freeway---(by the way Kerry McLean from Michigan made an interesting 1 wheel motorcycle that I thought about trying) He holds the record at approximately 120 something mph. talk about danger!

Feel free to continue on the subject, just for the heck of it. I will try to shut up until I am permitted to share drawings under my contract or until I make some prototypes or both.
Old 2017-01-27, 07:23 AM   #42
saam
Muni Muni Muni

You should contact Dakoroman here on the forums. From what I've read you two would make the perfect collaboration. Together you could make these hubs a reality.

Unfortunately, I don't have any direct contact details for Dakoroman but just send him a PM.

Good luck in your endeavors and I look forward to reading more about your project in the future.
Old 2017-01-27, 07:54 AM   #43
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Quote:
think like you said earlier it'd be too early for that. I sure as heck got some interest on this page lol....you talk about revolutionizing Unicycle technology and boy you either like the ideal or you hate it.
I don't get the impression that anyone hates the idea of revolutionising unicycle technology. I just get the impression that most people reading this thread come away feeling that all you have so far is an idea to do something, and not even the background of having looked into what has already been done in that direction. I am a very new unicyclist but I have read with interest previous threads on this forum from people that have designed these hubs, which you don't seem to be aware of. Or interested in. I'm a writer, and at the moment you just seem like the guy at a party who comes up and tells me he has this great idea for a book which is going to take the world by storm, all he needs is someone to write it down for him but of course he can't tell me what his great idea is, because I would steal it. What makes a book, or (I suspect) a new technological innovation, is not just the idea - ideas are ten a penny - but the hard work and appropriate gifting to materialise the idea in usable form. The mention of Tommy is the only detail that grounds this project in reality, that I can see from what you have told us. But I really hope it happens

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 2017-01-27 at 07:55 AM.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 09:27 AM   #44
bouin-bouin
Didier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
I don't get the impression that anyone hates the idea of revolutionising unicycle technology. I just get the impression that most people reading this thread come away feeling that all you have so far is an idea to do something, and not even the background of having looked into what has already been done in that direction. I am a very new unicyclist but I have read with interest previous threads on this forum from people that have designed these hubs, which you don't seem to be aware of. Or interested in. I'm a writer, and at the moment you just seem like the guy at a party who comes up and tells me he has this great idea for a book which is going to take the world by storm, all he needs is someone to write it down for him but of course he can't tell me what his great idea is, because I would steal it. What makes a book, or (I suspect) a new technological innovation, is not just the idea - ideas are ten a penny - but the hard work and appropriate gifting to materialise the idea in usable form. The mention of Tommy is the only detail that grounds this project in reality, that I can see from what you have told us. But I really hope it happens
Thank you for your very clear comment, I share totaly your opinion

When I started my 3 gears hub project in mid 2009 after Induni unitour, I wanted 3 gears and that's all. I took me 6 months to find the technical solution, then I shared it with Kris Holm, Roger Davies, Nathan Hoover and other guys to get their opinon. Then 2 years later after improving my design I met and discussed a lot with Florian Schlumpf, he analysed my concept and agreed it should work but he refused to collaborate and adviced me to build a prototype and develop it, as he did 10 years earlier ...
Everything takes a lot of time, may be one day I will build a prototype; I'm working in an automotive company, I'm ingeneer, close to my desk are gearboxes experts, CAD data started 1 year ago with the support of the best muni and road unirider; I am in contact with a company you agreed to build my parts .... Everything seems feasible, just I need to do it
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2017-01-27 at 09:29 AM.
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-27, 09:42 AM   #45
UnimakerX
Unicyclist

Yes, yes, yes I know there are other people who designed these hubs, and you know with the exception of Schlumpf they don't take us Unicyclist seriously so I really don't care what they do since the refuse to help unicycle riders either by coming up with a product or either collaborating intellectually there theory of operation, even if I was some rich guy willing to pay that wouldn't help..of course I can understand it, but I still think most of the bicycle companies are just greedy. The funny thing is At least someone on this forum doesn't even think I know how to ride a unicycle...I have a sem 24 inch and a custom unicycle made from nimbus/kris holm parts. I at least consider myself an experienced beginner since I have been riding for 8 years. It is very true I don't like to push boundaries; when I ride the only thing I do is role forward very long distances.or ride as fast as I can or take corners as fast as I can I will admit.there are much braver and skilled unicyclists then me.

Personally even if this becomes reality, there is going to always be someone later on who is going to "one up me".... Let's just chill on it, i "ain't" trying to prove myself or build something just to prove I am a better builder than anyone else because THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME OR MY PERSONAL LIFE..the thing is i've already got so much support, a lot more than what I was expecting.it's kind of why I posted on this siteam, I wanted to find help, considering i've been trying for 6 years to come up with a design and/or build this ideal. Right now it seems it seems it's going to become a reality sometime in the next 3 years since it's now or never considering I've got 4 very talented and gifted sources to help me and suggest things.

Last edited by UnimakerX; 2017-01-27 at 09:44 AM.

Tags
company, geared, geared unicycles, guni, mountain unicycles, professional unicycling, prototype, seeking, startup, unicycle, unicycles