Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-02-17, 05:55 PM   #16
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

That's a pretty good idea too.
Old 2015-02-17, 09:04 PM   #17
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherjohn View Post
As someone relatively new to unicycling, I really appreciate the time that people have taken to answer my questions. I've tried using the search function, and while information is often available if a newbie knows the correct terms to use, we don't always know how to correctly verbalize our questions. Several of those generous enough to answer my questions have not only provided me with insightful information that I may not have uncovered if I relied solely on the search function; they've actually attempted to make a connection and offer riding opportunities--and I'm very grateful for that!

To be so open and welcoming of new riders, this community can feel somewhat elitist at times. There aren't many questions that a person could ask--beginner or advanced--that haven't already been answered. If we default to using canned responses such as "use the search function," "Google it," or "checkout Youtube" we're doing the sport a disservice. We're discouraging interaction. With such a small and unique community, we should be making an effort to grow our sport, not ignoring or dismissing those who would like to know more about it.

With all that having been said, I do like Killian's idea about a sticky. If something were available that might help people better understand the basics, it could be beneficial. An external wiki could even be referenced if a resource is already available that answers most of the questions that new riders ask.
I think the human interaction is key. How someone is welcomed via a response may help them get deeper into the sport or ostracize them and turn them away. Face it, many times people are learning to unicycle on their own and they want friends who have a common interest. Sometimes there's a uni club nearby to fulfill this need, other times it needs to be a virtual club.

I completely see the basis of the elitist comment. There are a core group of people who post a whole lot. To a new rider when they look at the number of posts associated with a name, they may equate that to level of expertise. Sometimes that's the case, other times it's just that frequent posters like to talk a lot.

It's a forum. If you don't like answering new rider's questions, then don't.

I do think it's important to roll out the welcome mat for newbies. I'm also not a fan of just relying on what shows up in a search. The body of information is evolving. It's interesting to even see how some forum users change their opinions frequently as to what's best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Arctan View Post
Or a subdivision of Unicycling Discussion for beginners. There are only six now.
I'm not a big fan of this as where to draw the line for Beginner is difficult. I'd rather see them in the general pool rather than in isolation to the Beginner section. Any person on a unicycle is part of team unicycle.

The takeaway: new users can use the Search function if they like. Veteran users can either welcome new users or use the Skip function- it's more analog than digital. If you don't want to dole out the High 5s, it may be time to put your hand down and sit out of a thread to make sure you're not slapping someone in the face.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 09:50 PM   #18
Killian

This community is probably the least elitist cycling forum out there. Check out bikeforums or even mtbr (sometimes) if you want to see elitist.

I agree that post count doesn't necessarily mean expertise, and in case that was pointed at me, I have never claimed to be an expert.
Old 2015-02-17, 10:18 PM   #19
anotherjohn
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
This community is probably the least elitist cycling forum out there. Check out bikeforums or even mtbr (sometimes) if you want to see elitist.
I'm sorry if that came across as confrontational. That's not what I intended, and it wasn't directed at you or anyone else in particular. I wrote that mainly in response to my experience using the search function. In several of my attempts to uncover additional information, I found regulars responding to newbies negatively rather than attempting to offer something insightful. For the most part, I find this community very supportive of new riders.

As far as elitism within the cycling community is concerned, I don't ride a bicycle, but I'll take your word for it. Fortunately, my experience with other sports has been much more positive.
anotherjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 11:11 PM   #20
OorWullie
Unicyclist

As a new learner, I have to agree with the comments about interaction, sometimes even if you have the information you want, it helps to have a real person who can give advice, feedback and reassurance. I feel a bit awkward sometimes as I know the gist of what I'm asking will be covered elsewhere but some points need clarification or its not quite specific enough to my question. And up to now, all the responses I've had have been helpful, friendly, informative and encouraging. That encouragement has definitely helped keep me going when I'm stuck with something, so thanks everyone!
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 01:48 AM   #21
pierrox
Unicyclist

No worries, it's because it's the winter and we can't ride as much as we would like, so we are a little bit on the grumpy side.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 02:22 AM   #22
Killian

Ha, maybe it is because it's winter.

I tend to be a sarcastic person, so many of the negative comments in some of those beginner threads are probably me. It's not that I'm trying to be mean, it's just how I am.

Last edited by Killian; 2015-02-18 at 02:23 AM.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 02:44 AM   #23
jtrops
Unicyclist

This has turned out to be an interesting discussion. I think a beginner sub form is a good idea. All of the pertinent threads could be moved there, and it will be a place for people to introduce themselves, and get connected with other members.

I know that I make a point of visiting the beginner forum on MTBR occasionally to offer advice to newb's. I think it would be in keeping with the general sense of community that has been fostered here.
Old 2015-02-18, 06:15 AM   #24
superfunk
vegetable powered

I'm a newbie... i only sidejump two pallets and can't do a useful lenght rolling hop, so...
My short story: i bought a monty trial uni using a second- hand local website, learned riding solo, later on checking YouTube stuff.
Then i started trying off-road stuff, decided to buy better, discovered that Marco (m41) was one hour drive from me, and discovered the italian forum.
Well.. sadly the italian forum is not quite active, nobody to meet.
I check this mainly USA forum pretty much daily, it's good company during breakfast and help me keep my (bad)english.
I like the way new people are welcomed, it's how SPORT has to be.
Sorry for the errant form of my english, its early in the morning and i barely talk any language
superfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 10:30 AM   #25
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

We could encourage the use of the Tags more and make newcomers aware of the facility.

However searching isn't always so successful. I searched the forum for rolling hop and got threads that all had links to videos at no longer active URLs and very little discussion.

So I posted a question and got the usual replies. "Search the forum" or "Google it".

Then a got a useful reply saying "here" is the best video and a couple of personal tips. Would it have really been better added to some old hopping thread with obsolete links? Threads go stale.

Others bloat with tangential discussions. That is what I think would happen with a beginners thread.

What actually spoiled the thread was being derailed by all the unhelpful replies which made it harder to find the useful reply.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 04:51 PM   #26
MuniOrBust
show me the muni!

These 25 posts are an interesting introduction to "THE Quintessential, All-encompassing Beginners Thread"
MuniOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 05:44 PM   #27
eastenn
Unicyclist

I agree with above. Change the title of the thread it's useless to beginners.
eastenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 06:14 PM   #28
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Fortunately, my experience with other sports has been much more positive.
Then, maybe unicycling just isn't for you
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 06:28 PM   #29
anotherjohn
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
Then, maybe unicycling just isn't for you
See here:

Quote:
As someone relatively new to unicycling, I really appreciate the time that people have taken to answer my questions... Several of those generous enough to answer my questions have not only provided me with insightful information that I may not have uncovered if I relied solely on the search function; they've actually attempted to make a connection and offer riding opportunities--and I'm very grateful for that!
And here:

Quote:
For the most part, I find this community very supportive of new riders.

As far as elitism within the cycling community is concerned, I don't ride a bicycle, but I'll take your word for it...
I think you missed the forest for the trees on that one, my friend. If bicyclist are elitist, I'm glad to have spent most of my time enjoying other sports. In general, I have not found this to be true with unicyclists.

Last edited by anotherjohn; 2015-02-18 at 06:50 PM.
anotherjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 06:59 PM   #30
unibokk
Unicyclist

@ anotherjohn. My apologies I misunderstood what you were saying.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allencompassing, beginners, quintessential, thread