Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-06-14, 05:04 PM   #16
Shmolagin
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,061
How come you only go right to left? It seems like you'd have to do less walking if you'd just climb back on facing the other way and go back to the start.
Shmolagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 06:27 PM   #17
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by one4all View Post
Wow Yuval, this is amazing!
I'm watching this now and it makes me wanna go out and return to my own unfinished challenge of basic WW

I haven't been in this forum for quite a while now (few weeks).
BTW - I moved in to the new office at TLV and I'm riding every day with my 36er from Ramat-Gan to TLV (Atidim) via the Yarkon trail.

We need to catch another ride together sometime soon.
Maybe WW session?
Thanks shay!
Happy to hear that you ride the 36er to work as you plan, you probably an expert 36er rider by now with all those miles behind you...

I left mine hanging from the ceiling for awhile, but it would be nice to meet again and hit the road with those beasts

Keep in touch,
UVcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
How come you only go right to left? It seems like you'd have to do less walking if you'd just climb back on facing the other way and go back to the start.
In terms of efficiency you probably right, but I use the walking back as a short mental and physical break (my session doesn't include any official breaks... ).
Walking back gives me also time to give myself short feedback about what was wrong/good, and what is need to be done the next try.

2 hours session doing it both sides will be way exhausting for me

Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 06:46 PM   #18
Shmolagin
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVcycle View Post
In terms of efficiency you probably right, but I use the walking back as a short mental and physical break (my session doesn't include any official breaks... ).
Walking back gives me also time to give myself short feedback about what was wrong/good, and what is need to be done the next try.

2 hours session doing it both sides will be way exhausting for me

Have fun,
UVcycle
That makes sense
Shmolagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:45 PM   #19
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Day 7 - 0h45min | Total: 10h20min

Hi,

Just 45 min session today, no major updates from yesterday. I guess I need to give more saddle hours for it.

At least I had funny moment today:
3 kids and their mom, stood and watched me while I was struggling the 1ftww. With every try they hope that I'll succeed, and when I didn't they were very disappointed
At this point I thought it would be nice to give them a little show , so I rode away and passed by them with sweet long 2ftww > 180 hop > and rode back one-footed - the kids were like crazy! they clapped and shout "look he did it!!! he did it!!!"
I thanked them and said they are great audience... their mom looked at me and said "well done! you finally did it!!! what a persistence!"...
I guess it's too much to ask from non-riders to identify the difference between the two skills...

Anyway I have an issue with my frame shoulder (?). It became quite slippery (see pic below), and several time my right foot run out of it, and I had to bail.
What do you say, should I just glue on it a strip of sandpaper (have it on my Qu-ax 20" but it's peeling easily), or something else?




Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 08:14 PM   #20
unibokk
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 969
For the slippery crown, you could try grip tape. BMX flatland riders use grip tape on their axle pegs.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 06:57 PM   #21
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
For the slippery crown, you could try grip tape. BMX flatland riders use grip tape on their axle pegs.
Grip tape is an excellent idea, I'll get one, thank you!

Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 06:58 PM   #22
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Hi,

No 1ftww session today, but I took unibokk advice regarding the slippery crown. I went to skate a shop and bought strip of grip tape, 2 minutes of work and the result seems pretty good. I did it on the left side too to keep the muni balanced
Actually it looks too grippy but I assume that it is only because it's new...



So I run out of excuses and I have to go and practice


Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 04:46 PM   #23
unibokk
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 969
Looks good. Let us know how the grip tape works in practise.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 07:27 PM   #24
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Day 8 -1h30min | Total: 11h50min

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!
I had an excellent 1ftww session today. Just after work, I took myself and rode to the local skatepark. It was very hot and humid afternoon, but I thought that it's a good chance to practice on that flat smooth surface.

First of all @unibokk, the grip tape was great! Although I think I need to wrap it around the crown, so it won't peel.

From the first try I felt more confident and balanced - something happened! I would say that it's kind of breakthrough don't get me wrong, it's not that I can say that I mastered the 1ftww, I'm gonna spent hours till I'll be there for sure, but I already know that I can do it and it feels sooooo good

Some news from today:
- I mount very quickly with minimum support.
- I have more control with my foot (several times I even succeeded to control the direction)
- once or twice I doubled the distance I used to ride

Can't wait for the coming weekend, the skatepark is my target now
I didn't take video today, although I had my phone and the gorilla tripod with me, because there were many kids all around and I didn't want someone to smash it. Next time I'll think of something to hang it securely and take some shots.

Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 08:13 PM   #25
unibokk
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 969
That's great progress. Have you tried using your resting foot as a drag brake?
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 08:37 PM   #26
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
That's great progress. Have you tried using your resting foot as a drag brake?
I didn't try it, but it happened unintentionally several time, and I've noticed the potential of that. It just seem too early to put another variable in the equation...

Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 08:56 PM   #27
unibokk
Unicyclist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 969
[QUOTE=UVcycle; It just seem too early to put another variable in the equation...


A wise decision. It's always best to keep it simple when learning a new trick,especially when it's a really difficult trick like the one foot wheel walk.Take your time and have fun!
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 03:56 AM   #28
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Thanks unibokk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaalrus View Post
...For one foot wheel walk I would be careful of what's fairly common with one foot tricks which is leaning towards the foot that's doing the work...
How could I forget... @waaalrus, now I can say that I know exactly the importance of the leaning towards, thank you for that!

Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 10:17 PM   #29
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Day 9 -2h00min | Total: 13h50min

Hi,

2 more hours today at the skate park.
I think I've got the idea, and I just need more time to get consistent and make more distance.
yep, from today I'm going to try to enlarge the distance I ride to the point I'll feel it's time to move on to the next 2 steps: 1ftww from riding, and back to the pedals...

Here is today's video, just few tries in it, but it's representative:


Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 08:46 PM   #30
UVcycle
Yuval Hadad
 
UVcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Israel
Age: 50
Posts: 274
Day 10 - 13 | 8h30min | Total: 22h20min

Hi all,

The last few sessions were great! I feel that I'm enjoying the fruits of very, very hard labor, and it's a-w-e-s-o-m-e

I move to the next step in my 1FTWW challenge, and start learn doing it from riding...

Here is the last video for this step:


Have fun,
UVcycle
__________________
Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
UVcycle's YouTube Channel
UVcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
challenge, foot, wheelwalk


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Endomondo Challenge: A Unicycling / Unicyclist / Unicycle Fall Challenge Dr D General Unicycling Discussions 11 2011-10-01 12:59 PM
wheelwalk practice AK_unipsycho General Unicycling Discussions 6 2009-01-27 01:13 AM
Sideways-wheelwalk Eremit Deutsches Einradforum 5 2008-11-18 07:10 AM
Backwards wheelwalk & Standup wheelwalk Unisykolist General Unicycling Discussions 3 2008-06-16 11:01 AM
1 foot wheelwalk thetrooper Deutsches Einradforum 4 2005-07-06 12:58 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.09289 seconds with 12 queries