Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-10-20, 04:45 PM   #136
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
Or are you a 'bot?
That's what I thought.
Old 2019-07-16, 08:25 PM   #137
Matt B
Unicyclist

Muni freemount

I been riding about 4 months, at age 60. I ride my 29" Muni mostly, but also have a 24" Muni for learning and being more controllable for new things.
It helped learning to do a walking mount also, especially if over a 26" wheel and needing to mount going up a grade. That little bit of forward momentum walking helps on the uphill mounts. Downhill mounts, do not over jump when mounting.
I also try new stuff (ie steep descents, log obstacles, small jumps, etc) with my 24" as I have more confidence on it. It then translates to the 29" pretty easy.
Get good protection gear. When you feel safer (especially at an older age) your confidence to try new things goes up BIG time. Ran into a SOLID BIG tree going pretty fast. Hit my head (helmet) on it hard. My Muni buddy stops "man, you OK!!" I look up from the ground "yeah, fine". His response, "isn't cool how you can run into things and not get hurt".
Find someone to ride with, if possible. I ran into another Muni guy on the trails one day. He is younger and a step better, so we ride 1-2 times a week together Just riding behind him, talking about how to do stuff, etc made a difference. Plus "if he can do it, so can I" goes a long way!!!
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 08:19 AM   #138
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Get good protection gear. When you feel safer (especially at an older age) your confidence to try new things goes up BIG time. Ran into a SOLID BIG tree going pretty fast. Hit my head (helmet) on it hard. My Muni buddy stops "man, you OK!!" I look up from the ground "yeah, fine". His response, "isn't cool how you can run into things and not get hurt".
Find someone to ride with, if possible. I ran into another Muni guy on the trails one day. He is younger and a step better, so we ride 1-2 times a week together Just riding behind him, talking about how to do stuff, etc made a difference. Plus "if he can do it, so can I" goes a long way!!!
Even with good gear, Im still too careful and lack confidence. I can hop and when I do I hop higher than a kerb, yet hopping on to a kerb I don't dare because I think I will trip.
As for having other unicyclist living close by, you have to be lucky. Not everybody has that commodity. I ride alone 99% of the time. Even though I don't do any tricks, I just use the uni for exploring and riding 10-20km cross country. Just love the feeling. There where I ride I don't need to hop or idle and wheel walking is just for in the circus really, apart from the fact that they add on to your total balance feel of course.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 05:46 PM   #139
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
wheel walking is just for in the circus really, apart from the fact that they add on to your total balance feel of course.
Wheel walking, for me, puts me back in touch with the sensations of being a beginner unicyclist. Some of the same issues apply: I burn out fairly quickly, I flail my arms like mad, steering is a challenge, I have to remind myself not to start too fast or accelerate past the point of no return, and I have to remember to breathe and relax. And it reminds me that I'm not a particularly fast learner.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, newbie, ride, road, skills or progression