Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-03-24, 04:32 AM   #31
Go Uni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Nothing compared to why anyone would be concerned about whether a bearing that doesn't often need to be replaced costs $10 or $20 on a $500+ machine.
You assume such a bearing could be available if needed but non-standard bearings are not guaranteed to be available. Then what to do? All I did was to ask myself that same question and then spend a few moments here on my keyboard. You are suggesting such a question could be unfit to discuss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Also remember that the ISIS standard was developed for bicycles. The engineers who put it into unicycles didn't have carte blank as the starting point.
Well, apparently the ISIS standard for bicycles does not include standard bearings. Or if they are available as standard bearings for bicycles then why do they not fit unicycles?
Go Uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-24, 04:43 AM   #32
Go Uni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
I think you all are getting a little carried away with your talk about machining spindles down...
Are you rationing thought and ideas around here? It took me all of a few seconds to have a thought, then not many seconds to put it here and then I have not lost a single second of sleep about the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
Alibaba showed several Chinese manufacturers selling them cheap...
And that was followed by discussion about the quality of those same bearings. The idea here is to be progressive thinkers, right?
Old 2019-03-24, 04:50 AM   #33
Go Uni
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post
I suspect that we'll all die due to climate change before ISIS spindle bearings become completely unavailable.

I think I've replaced two sets of bearings on all of my unicycles in around 9 years, so with the number I've got spare, I'm probably set for life!
Hehehe! You likely are quite right! And yes, most bearings can take a lot of use and moderate abuse before they bugger out.

My background is mechanical engineering and I am trained to consider extreme possibilities and situations. That is what I professionally do.
Old 2019-03-24, 05:03 AM   #34
Go Uni
Unicyclist

Actually, until this bearing topic thread got posted here last week I was aware there are larger and smaller unicycle bearings and I never gave bearings any more thought than that.
Old 2019-03-24, 06:39 AM   #35
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Uni View Post
Well, apparently the ISIS standard for bicycles does not include standard bearings. Or if they are available as standard bearings for bicycles then why do they not fit unicycles?
ISIS hub bearings on bikes is very different then unicycles. Unicycles have to have a separate bearing on the end of each fork leg where a bike has bearings in a single tube in the bike frame. Some do use sealed bearings but the size/configuration is much different then required on a uni.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-24, 11:26 AM   #36
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Uni View Post
You assume such a bearing could be available if needed but non-standard bearings are not guaranteed to be available. Then what to do?
Take a 6004 bearing. Find a friend with a lathe, and have them turn of 2mm of the inside diameter.

Buy whatever hub is the new standard in that very distant future.

Assuming it's probably the outer ring that gave away (as it's usually the case) take bearing apart, and rebuild it with parts of a 6004 series bearing.

Take a 61905 bearing, and machine two spacers (one for the inside ring, one on the outside so it doesn't move side to side in the frame)

Buy 3 sets of bearings when I notice ISIS hubs on unicycles are dissappearing, and have enough of them for the rest of my unicycle career.

I've never experienced a bearing failure that was so fatal that it kept me from being able to ride, it's only the noise that gets annoying usually. (It has apparently happened to others, but i'm pretty sure they overtightened the bearing caps at some point.) I've ridden with my tire taped to the rim, since the bead broke, and a JB welded seatpost for a short time, since I was travelling and couldn't order parts, I think I'll find a solution if I need to.
Old 2019-03-24, 07:03 PM   #37
mrfixit
Unicyclist

I’ve wore out one set in a 1 1/2 year, the noise is driving me nuts. I don’t think we’ll have a problem getting bearings. We have unicycle. Com. They can always get a source to make more.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-25, 01:15 AM   #38
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
Take a 6004 bearing. Find a friend with a lathe, and have them turn of 2mm of the inside diameter.
I have a lathe. You can think of me as a friend if you'd like. But that bearing race is hardened and it would have to be ground.

Keep this in mind: The inside dimension of the bearing was made bigger to give more strength to the axle that passes through it. The bearings are rated for loads many times higher than we put on them and usually fail because of rust, grit, or salt getting in, not from load.

Before ISIS, aggressive unicyclists used to break axles all the time. See the George Peck video where he puts "just a few of" the broken hubs he'd collected on the table. IIRC (been a while) stress at the outside and most heavily loaded part of a beam-loaded circular shaft varies with the 4th power of the diameter, so every mm counts.

But I don't see a problem getting "6004/22" bearings at present. I have an eBay "Schwinn style" square-taper hub that takes 6203-2RS-5/8 bearings because the bearing surface on the axle is 5/8" instead of the usual 16 mm. It turned out that they're cheaper and more plentiful than the "standard" size because they're used on a popular piece of farm equipment or something. It's all down to how many distributors want to place orders for that size. Bearing manufacturers don't forget how to make them!

Call it standard, non-standard, or a non-standard standard but one search for "6004/22" returned dozens of sources for me. Stock up now if you're worried about it I guess.

Quote:
Buy whatever hub is the new standard in that very distant future.
For sure! You'd have to unlace the wheel to do any hub machining to make another bearing fit anyway. You'd do better to lace in a new hub that came with the new standard bearings already installed if it came to that.

Last edited by LargeEddie; 2019-03-25 at 01:18 AM.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, isis, source, unicyclecom