Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-08-23, 03:19 AM   #46
UPD
fail better.

Yes of course,
San Jose, beyond Alum Rock Park, more specific Santa Clara County Open Space Authorities, past the second cow gate, past the steep difficult switchbacks of Boccardo Loop Trail and onto Sierra Vista trail. Incredibly beautiful trail and cant wait to return for farther. I was only able to ride a fraction of that trail before I had to return for work.
Was On my longggg lunch break

Im always hearing of rumors from another hiker of some unicyclists riding it too. Unicyclists we are, Like ghosts we are, hardly bumping into each other, but only hear rumors from others
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-24, 06:30 AM   #47
newob
Unicyclist

Thanks, UPD.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 06:44 PM   #48
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

On my way to upgrade my muni

This thread (like some others) has been very helpful.

My 5yr old muni (a kahero 26er with kenda nevegal 26x2.7) had been upgraded and used as an urban unicycle few month ago (by mounting a hookworm 26x2.5 and a Qu-handle) but then I bought a nimbus 29 road for this purpose so I didn't use my 26er anymore since.

Thanks to this thread, I ordered everything I need to upgrade this old muni into a "slim" fatty 26er.
I wanted something I can ride muni with low pressure (something around 20 PSI or less) for the comfort it brings and how sweet the little hops can be.

I will put a Surly Knard 26x3 and a light tube on the 47mm drilled rim of my 26er and will change the frame for a kh 2015.
The seat will be the nimbus gel from the nimbus 29er (I'll change it for a kh street if I don't like), I will keep the Qu-ax Handle, and will mount the HS33 that I was planing to mount on the 29er (there is no real need on the 29er).
I think of using either 145 Qu-ax cranks or 137 spirits, in all the case it will be with my 23mm pedal extenders (I use it on all my unicycle now).
I presume the pedal extenders will also prevent my legs from rubbing against the T of the Qu-Handle since it makes me pedal with more spread legs.

Waiting for the ordered parts, I'll have to true my wheel.
I know a place that looks like the one on the UniMyra's video (Foret de Fontainebleau, France), So it will be the perfect place to enjoy this new toy
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-12, 02:27 AM   #49
UPD
fail better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Thanks, UPD.
Darn, that was awesome mtb single track over on that gorgeous summer day...
Since then, I have recently suffered a pinch flat from having my Oregon flying off a 12' high creekbed, on a stupidly relatively easy ledge run. Replaced the tube and figured, might as well change back to the original fattie 3.8Nate. The Nate is practically brand new, after suffering smashing nut attacks from the original Nimbus saddle and lack of saddle time.
Now, this time around, the Nate ride good! Really good! Little bit heavier than the Knard, lttle bit autosteering, but tolerable.
Cant wait for the weather to turn decent and I'll be hitting the same single tracks again on it. I'll see how far the Nate can take me before Im completely exhausted, or completely rolled off the mountain
Old 2016-01-15, 05:25 PM   #50
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

This morning I received the last parts of my small fatty project (knard 26x3 + schwalbe light tube) so I decided give it a try (without the hs33 for now).

WOW !!!!
I enjoyed the hell out of it !!!
I weight 85kg, I inflated it a 15 PSI (minimum recommended).
First part of the ride was with 137 spirit cranks , second part with 145 qu-ax , both with pedal extenders.

I have zero experience with low PSI tires, excepted with my 19er trial, and even with my first unicycle that was a muni I inflated the tyre at it's max.
So my level in muni is supposed to be very low, but with the knard, I was able to ride everywhere I wanted, no matter what, like if I was an experienced muni rider !

I love so much this tremendous suspension and it's ability to absorb everything that goes under the wheel, from mud to rocks and roots, deep water fulled holes, wet grass, many inches of leaves, sand.. whatever, it's like there is nothing ! So smooth ! Smooth and lightweight !

About hops, it has more bouncing than my trial 19er! I can hop (up and down) stairs even more easily than with the little wheel.
It was incredible !

it was easy to ride with the 137 spirits, with good speed, but even easier with the 145 that allowed me to ride in some places or uphill parts that was harder on 137, even if I was slower in max speed

It was worth changing my old no-more-used first unicycle to this tremendous toy !
I recommend the Knard 26x3 !!!
- Qu-ax trial 19"
Old 2016-01-15, 05:56 PM   #51
UPD
fail better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDreamerFR View Post
So my level in muni is supposed to be very low, but with the knard, I was able to ride everywhere I wanted, no matter what, like if I was an experienced muni rider !

Damn! No wonder why I feel so good!!!
...schucks, its just the tire
Old 2016-01-22, 12:41 PM   #52
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD View Post
Damn! No wonder why I feel so good!!!
...schucks, its just the tire
Tyre and handlebar!
This handlebar was helping me not falling when crossing difficult surfaces, like very uneven grass downhill with wet mud, and everywhere I guess I would have fallen if I only hold the seat.
It brings some lever effect.

I had a ride 2 days ago without the handlebar.
the ride was very technical, lot of roots, rocks, lots of tight bends, and curiously I loved to ride without handlebar, I realized that my balance skill has improved a lot cause I no longer need to move my arms like crazy to stay in balance, I can unicycle with arms still and leaning along my body (when the trail is regular).
when the turns were very tight and technical I think the handlebar like it is set in the previous pics would has bothered me, hitting my legs.

I find the knard very great on every surface, even on roads with camber, I only rode it a 15 PSI, don't know how it behaves at higher or lower pressure.

I also wonder how it is on a 29er
- Qu-ax trial 19"

Tags
duro, knard, leopard, surly