Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-05-10, 11:22 AM   #76
GeddyRulz
Mark D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Defecator View Post
What shoes are best for riding? i've been using my adidas sambas the whole time but they are getting a litle worn down from gliding and such. What shoes work best?

I wear sneakers all the time, and I’m a big fan of Adidas Sambas; I latched onto them about 5-6 years ago, for a hip, retro 70s look. They work just fine for street riding, which is 95% of what I do.

Over the cold months, my main sneakers were hiking shoes… which I’ve been calling “sneaker boots.” They’re very durable (they lasted through the winter with no sign of wear at all) and they have incredible grip. My pedals also have a lot of grip to them, so if I try to ride my unicycle with the hiking shoes it’s like having TOO MUCH grip! For example, it’s difficult to re-adjust my foot positioning, because the pedals have ahold of my shoes and won’t easily let go. It’s somewhat dangerous in those spots where I really WANT to get free; I’ve found myself toppling with the unicycle a bit (and even falling) if I don't mount perfectly... so now I don’t wear them for riding, and it’s the Sambas only.

(Non-unicycling, sneaker conversation: for many years now, my dream sneaker was Adidas with green stripes, but they were discontinued in the early 80s. I settled for the Adidas Sambas with black stripes, but then Adidas re-released the Sambas with a variety of stripe colors, enabling me to get the green ones! Happy day! I wore them for two years and recently went looking for a fresh pair, but now they’re gone again and I had to revert back to black stripes. I COULD get the green stripes, but only from the Adidas website as a custom design, at twice the cost. Boo!)

Last edited by GeddyRulz; 2015-05-10 at 11:32 AM.
GeddyRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 11:34 AM   #77
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Custom Boots

Check out my new hybrid uni boots made from the uppers of my Sidi motorcycle boots and a pair of Adidas Nets basketball shoes.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 06:24 PM   #78
GeddyRulz
Mark D

Was wearing my Adidas Sambas, as always, at our Unicycle Club gathering last night, when a fellow rider pointed to them and said I had the perfect footwear for unicycling. "Those are the sneakers which come recommended for it."
GeddyRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 02:43 PM   #79
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Defecator View Post
What shoes are best for riding? i've been using my adidas sambas the whole time but they are getting a litle worn down from gliding and such. What shoes work best?
I started out riding on just my socks, because I was learning to ride in the living room. That worked fine enough. You get a good feel of the pedals that way. Now that I ride outside I just wear flat-soled shoes as I don't want to walk around the parking lot on my socks
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 01:16 PM   #80
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I have built up a collection in my search for the ideal uni shoes. Mostly they come from charity shops and garage sales. They range from motorcycle boots which I converted to my hybrid uni boots to several different mid top basketball shoes.

Basketball shoes are designed to land from big jumps so they have thick soles and good ankle support. The generally have a full flat sole without the heel step that many riders don't like.

My hybrid boots are great in many ways but a bit bulky and heavy (about 800 grams) for high cadence. The protection is fantastic for risky terrain but overkill for road riding. The other end of the scale are my Adidas Brooklyn Nets. At about 430 grams they are very light.

The zigzag tread on the Nets (including my hybrid boots) grips pretty well especially in the dry but not as well as some other patterns. I have come to realise that a simple checker pattern (like the 5-10s) works best with pins.

Tonight I just got back from my first ride on what I feel certain will end my search. They are Puma "First Round S". Fresh from the charity shop yesterday for less than the price of a coffee and in as new condition, they tick all the boxes.

Thick soles, simple checker tread, excellent ankle protection, solid suede leather build, no glued on junk. At 525 grams they are a little heavier but still reasonably light for a robust shoe. The tongue is incredibly thick and soft. This helps get them on and off without moving the laces too much and it keeps them in firmly in place when laced up.

Quite stylish too, and hey, they are pretty close to KH blue.
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-26, 05:02 PM   #81
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Those were "Clydes" when I was a basketball-playing lad. Nice kicks.
Attached Images

LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-30, 05:21 AM   #82
UPD
fail better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
I have built up a collection in my search for the ideal uni shoes. Mostly they come from charity shops and garage sales. They range from motorcycle boots which I converted to my hybrid uni boots to several different mid top basketball shoes.

Basketball shoes are designed to land from big jumps so they have thick soles and good ankle support. The generally have a full flat sole without the heel step that many riders don't like.

My hybrid boots are great in many ways but a bit bulky and heavy (about 800 grams) for high cadence. The protection is fantastic for risky terrain but overkill for road riding. The other end of the scale are my Adidas Brooklyn Nets. At about 430 grams they are very light.

The zigzag tread on the Nets (including my hybrid boots) grips pretty well especially in the dry but not as well as some other patterns. I have come to realise that a simple checker pattern (like the 5-10s) works best with pins.

Tonight I just got back from my first ride on what I feel certain will end my search. They are Puma "First Round S". Fresh from the charity shop yesterday for less than the price of a coffee and in as new condition, they tick all the boxes.

Thick soles, simple checker tread, excellent ankle protection, solid suede leather build, no glued on junk. At 525 grams they are a little heavier but still reasonably light for a robust shoe. The tongue is incredibly thick and soft. This helps get them on and off without moving the laces too much and it keeps them in firmly in place when laced up.

Quite stylish too, and hey, they are pretty close to KH blue.

Nice!! Looks very durable suede!
UPD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes