Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-12-12, 09:57 AM   #16
ruari
 

We are all different of course by FWIW I have a UDC 36" that I commute around Oslo on. Oslo isn't flat but I don't use brakes and I run with 125mm cranks. So it is certainly possible to get away with no brake.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-12-12 at 09:58 AM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 01:47 PM   #17
aj1500
Unicyclist

OK I'm sold, I'm going to go with the UDC 32 and look at adding caliper brakes to it after I ride it and see if I really need them
Thanks for all the helpful responses and info
aj1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 06:24 PM   #18
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
That is a good point, the Titan 32” seems to have a square taper hub so the Spirit cranks and disc brake aren’t an option without a new hub too.

It would still probably be best to check with UDC about the rim, both the UK and US sites explicitly say the Stealth2 does not have a braking surface. It might not just be the anodising, the rim side might not even be flat. That said, it isn’t on a downhill mountain bike, so you might be okay for braking force.
I just called unicycle.com USA and they did confirm that the frame and rim are compatible with a rim break. I’m not sure why they do not offer a machined version since that is the only brake option for that frame but the braking surface is there nonetheless

Post pics and your thoughts when you get it AJ! I’m sure I will eventually end up with the 36” version since I already have the 32” covered

Last edited by WeaponizedBacon; 2019-12-12 at 06:25 PM.
WeaponizedBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 06:38 PM   #19
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponizedBacon View Post
I just called unicycle.com USA and they did confirm that the frame and rim are compatible with a rim break. I’m not sure why they do not offer a machined version since that is the only brake option for that frame but the braking surface is there nonetheless

Post pics and your thoughts when you get it AJ! I’m sure I will eventually end up with the 36” version since I already have the 32” covered
WeaponizedBacon too funny
Thanks for that, I was thinking about doing just that before I pulled the trigger.
now I just have to decide if I'm going to wait until after the holidays and just go for it. I think this time I'm going to get a couple things to change right off
like the pedals,seat clamp and shorter cranks, I don't care for the rounded pedals that come with them and I like the easy release clamp rather than the alan head screws and I'm used to the 127 cranks with the 29 so I think I will be OK with the 32. I think the seat might be OK
Old 2019-12-12, 08:04 PM   #20
DrD
Unicyclist

Quote:
Thanks for that, that is pretty decent of you to call them -- it is good to get confirmation direct from them. Like you I have an Oracle 32", so I'm not looking to get one of these, but as well as aj1500 it might well be useful for someone in the future.

I'll be interesting to hear what caliper fits and how it performs.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 10:20 PM   #21
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

There were a few comments about braking on a anodized surface. I'll just say from experience that this works just fine most of the time.

It's not quite as grabby as bare aluminum which is not a problem in itself as you generally don't really need super strong brakes with a big wheel. If the anodized surface wears off unevenly you might have slightly uneven braking, but it's easy to fix.

To remove an anodized surface from an aluminum rim to prep a braking surface: remove the tire from the rim, re-install, then jam a sanding block with 400 grit sandpaper between the rim and the frame and spin away until you have a shiny bare aluminum braking surface.

Personally I would (and have) prep a rim this way if it were powder-coated or painted as either of those surfaces suck for braking, but prepping an anodized rim like that is more cosmetic than anything.

Have Fun!
Old 2019-12-12, 11:11 PM   #22
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Thanks for that, that is pretty decent of you to call them -- it is good to get confirmation direct from them. Like you I have an Oracle 32", so I'm not looking to get one of these, but as well as aj1500 it might well be useful for someone in the future.

I'll be interesting to hear what caliper fits and how it performs.
You made me question it (which I appreciate) so I had to validate my claim to make sure i wasn't spreading misinformation lol

I didn't think to ask, but the 36” gremlin gravel grinder has a brake installed. It appears to be the same frame as the UDC 32” so i would probably start there if i were in the market for that type of brake
Old 2019-12-16, 06:18 PM   #23
aj1500
Unicyclist

well I just pulled the trigger on the UDC 32. I looked at the Gremlin and see it does have caliper brakes. however there is no description for replacement parts offered for them either on the page of the uni or in the parts section
I called and they don't carry them any more but Steve said it is a standard front caliper brake set up. so as long as it mounts with the center bolt at the top and not boss mount it should work. So it looks like my original idea is going to work out fine. I'll post pics and impressions once I get it and take it out for a ride
Old 2019-12-16, 11:06 PM   #24
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

Sweet! If interested, we should try to connect and ride Hilton head on one of my trips to Beaufort. I am down a couple times a year and typically ride around Beaufort, fripp or hunting island
Old 2019-12-17, 01:04 PM   #25
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Sweet! If interested, we should try to connect and ride Hilton head on one of my trips to Beaufort. I am down a couple times a year and typically ride around Beaufort, fripp or hunting island
That sounds good to me, there is no-one around here for me to ride with. the only person I know in this area that rides a uni, only rides Muni
let me know the next time you plan on being here and we will try to make it happen
Old 2019-12-17, 04:00 PM   #26
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

Will do! I am usually down sometime in April and again late summer
Old 2019-12-18, 06:04 PM   #27
aj1500
Unicyclist

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread so I'll just add to this one as technically it's still going
SO my new UDC 32 showed up last night . I put it together and brought it to work today, I aired up the tire adjusted the seat for the first ride.
First impressions are WOW this thing is nice I can only imagine the quality of the better name brand uni's. this one in my opinion is far nicer than the 29 trainer, don't get me wrong I have no complaints about the 29 and it is a solid uni, but this one is much better, well other than the same rock hard seat and rounded pedals. I got mine with the KH street saddle and 127 cranks. the tire is much bigger than I even imagined and looks to be a nice tire. I may have to get one to fit the 29
It took a few tries to get up the first time and man did it feel odd being so much higher but I easily adjusted to it. I can't seem to get the uni to sit still and do a static mount, no matter how hard I try the uni would roll forward when I jump up so I just went with it as I have been trying to learn to do rolling mounts anyway. 2nd it seems to take a moment to get it moving, probably more to do with the 127 cranks, but once it starts rolling it is smooth and fast. I'm sure it's just me but I had a some struggles during my first ride. I rode just over a mile on our yard, it is mixed, paved and hard pack dirt, rock, gravel, sand and has lots of small ruts and holes to deal with. anyway after adjusting the seat about 3 times until I got it where it felt right I was off and running like I said it is smooth on the paved part but on the rough I struggled as it felt like it was leaning to the left bad, I even hit my leg with the tire a couple times first time I have ever done that while riding. I kept checking the seat alignment and it looks good so it's probably just me somehow shifting once I hit the rough stuff as it didn't seem to do it on the pavement
so bottom line I am a happy camper
Attached Images

Last edited by aj1500; 2019-12-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2019-12-19, 01:06 AM   #28
WeaponizedBacon
Unicyclist

That’s a slick looking machine I had the same thing happening to me with the roll forward while mounting but has stopped with time. I need to learn the rolling mount myself. Did you feel like you needed brakes?
Old 2019-12-19, 12:08 PM   #29
DrD
Unicyclist

It looks pretty good, I'm happy you're pleased with it. What are your thoughts on the caliper/rim now you see the uni in the flesh?

I was just thinking the other day that I have a road bike hanging up in a shed which has Mavic GP4 rims (for tubulars). They are anodised and I never really thought much about the calipers not working with them at 40+mph going down a hill(!) -- I never wore a helmet then either though (invincibility of youth). I think those rims might be worn through to bare aluminium in bits, that lets you see where your wheel is not true

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your new machine...
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-19, 01:09 PM   #30
aj1500
Unicyclist

I took it to the park after work so I could ride on paved path, figured I could get a better feel for it. I think on flat ground to small inclines it will be fine without brakes, however I can see any decent inclines or hills or long down grades needing them as once this thing is moving and with the 127 cranks it is not quick to slow down and it takes a good bit of force if your moving along
I did 1.3 miles, would have done more but they have the track all tore up redoing sections of it, I had to stop and walk it through 3 places that were just too bad to ride through but still managed to do it in 10 min and averaged 9.5 MPH. I was impressed with how nice it rides. now I need to build a handlebar for it and get some lights on it

Tags
brakes for udc 32