Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-05-09, 09:29 PM   #16
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Update:

I can ride now. Of course an extremely wobbley version of riding but I can stay up most of the time. I started about the same time I created this thread so around 2 weeks.

I think a couple things really helped. 1) A youtube video where they said to being moving forward and not try to idle or go too slow. 2) I never tried to go along a fence or railing. I would just learn forward a little, let go and shoot out into the open.

I've started the process of learning to free mount. This seems like it actually might be harder than riding. hahaha. I've go both feet on a few times but that's it.
Congratulations! You've done really well in a very short time. And in regards to dyslexia, I really couldn't see any issues with your writing, I think you write just as well as most people.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 12:12 AM   #17
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I think a couple things really helped. 1) A youtube video where they said to being moving forward and not try to idle or go too slow. 2) I never tried to go along a fence or railing. I would just learn forward a little, let go and shoot out into the open.
Yes. Going slow is an advanced skill. Clinging to a fence inhibits learning. Learning is much less about balance than keeping the wheel under you.

Quote:
I've started the process of learning to free mount. This seems like it actually might be harder than riding. hahaha. I've go both feet on a few times but that's it.
Sounds like you need to get your weight in front of the wheel so you can ride away.

Have a look at unimyra's video.

Don't try too hard at free mounting yet as it can be frustrating. It will get easier as your general riding skills improve, particularly riding slow and still stand. Better to work on getting more control of the uni.

Focus next on steering by leaning the uni with your hips rather than twisting. At first you lean the uni in the direction you want to go while counter leaning your body to stay above the contact point. Later you will learn to lean your body into the turn.

And work at getting most of your weight on the seat.
Old 2019-05-10, 01:46 PM   #18
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
Yes. Going slow is an advanced skill. Clinging to a fence inhibits learning. Learning is much less about balance than keeping the wheel under you.
Regarding pedaling fast, I suppose we don't want the beginner falling backwards, so leaning forward then committing to pedaling quickly is safer. The rider is almost always going to fall off the front in that situation, landing on their feet. As a beginner, my 20-50 ft runs frequently ended with uncontrollable acceleration then dismount. Later on I figured out how to slow things down.

Regarding the fence/crutch: Don't use it if you don't have to. A unicyclist once told me how he learned by arranging a bunch of heavy wooden chairs into a tunnel of sorts. He started with the chairs close together, then slowly removed them, so they were more widely spaced, as he improved. If you're smart, crutches can work. But mostly, I think they inhibit learning.

I agree that unicycling is about keeping the wheel below me, but I didn't start feeling that way until after I'd picked up other skills, such as riding slowly, idling, backwards, etc. When you look at a beginner flailing their arms, unicycling looks a lot like the rider keeping himself on top of the unicycle.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, checking, guy, middle