Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2018-07-07, 05:04 PM   #7996
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Colyer View Post
Riding home from work yesterday, I hadn't planned to bother too much with the climb out of this underpass in the sweltering heat:
https://goo.gl/maps/87iBgcexGnQ2

I thought I'd ride a short way up, then walk. But there was a group of teenagers in the underpass and one of them called out: "You can do it."

Of course, then I had to do it. I carried on to the top of the hill.
And when you go downhill, do you take the stairs? I wish I had something like that here. Would be perfect for training small drops. I only have a path in the forest with drops after roots, but nothing as structures as that.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 05:58 PM   #7997
Danny Colyer
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
And when you go downhill, do you take the stairs? I wish I had something like that here. Would be perfect for training small drops.
You know, I'm not sure I've ever ridden it in the downhill direction. It's not on my usual route anywhere. I'd never ride to work that way, but I occasionally ride home that way (I want the quickest route in the mornings, and that's not it).

I don't think I would, but I like the way you think. Maybe 20 years ago I might have done.
Old 2018-07-08, 09:49 PM   #7998
midgetmiles
Unicyclist

Went for a ride yesterday, took my 26" and went up to the mountains. Had an absolute blast, it had been way too long since I had last spent much time on the uni.

A group of 4 mountain bikers passed me early into my ride and it went a little like this:

Guy 1: That's awesome!
Guy 2: You're making us look bad!
Guy 3: Crushing it man!
Guy 4 (a good 20 feet behind the other riders, didn't hear them and yells this as he passes): Holy s***!! Did you guys see his unicycle!!?!?

Made my day.

- Custom KH24 (80's paint job )
- Torker LX 20"
- Freewheel 26"
- Nimbus 26" Muni -
midgetmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 02:38 PM   #7999
Necow
Unicyclist

Was riding around the neighborhood this morning when an elderly lady asked if my uni was some kind of "bucket-list" thing...
I said "no, but I'm gonna die trying!"

Yesterday I got a big smile and thumbs up which made me feel good!

Cheers!
Necow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 06:14 PM   #8000
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

I was riding my Hatchet when two cyclists passed me, slowing down for a closer look. One of them exclaimed „wow, you could easily make two out of that one!“
I thought he got it the wrong way around and answered „No, you can make two unicycles out of your bike.“
When I got home I realized that he meant it exactly the way he said it: the Hatchet is so massive you could use the material two make two „normal“ unicycles.

Later, I got a „thumbs up“ from a farmer, whose tractor I evaded by hatchetting into the harvested field alongside the country lane. (Unfortunately, I UPDed after about 15 Meters.)

Later still, another two cyclists going the other way: the first said „respect!“, while the second one, after passing me, yelled „holy sh*t“.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-16, 03:12 PM   #8001
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Shout out to Cary Gray

I was riding my 36" wheel along the beach walk last week in Newport Beach, CA. As I passed a mother and her young son, I heard her exclaim to him, "Look, its Luno!". I thought that was a pretty cool, inside unicycle reference.
Old 2018-07-22, 04:10 PM   #8002
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Curiously I got the same comment twice today: one was in French and the other in English 10 minutes later.
I was riding at Versailles Castle with my Coker Big One and the comment was "really that's a UNICYCLE" (with corresponding face meaning they thought the thing was big!)
Old 2018-07-22, 11:06 PM   #8003
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

"That's not cool, that's just weird!"

I responded with, "Hey, everybody's weird!"
Old 2018-07-23, 10:52 AM   #8004
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
I was riding my 36" wheel along the beach walk last week in Newport Beach, CA. As I passed a mother and her young son, I heard her exclaim to him, "Look, its Luno!". I thought that was a pretty cool, inside unicycle reference.
Now I don't know that uni reference - it might have been his mum referred to a clown from the local circus: Luno the Lunatic
Old 2018-07-23, 04:33 PM   #8005
Geolojas
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Now I don't know that uni reference - it might have been his mum referred to a clown from the local circus: Luno the Lunatic
Cary Gray wrote a kids book about an adventuring unicyclist named Luno. Its really cool actually; he illustrated the entire thing using only his feet. Here's a link to his page: http://www.caryoutthere.com/CaryGrayKidsBook.html
Old 2018-07-23, 07:47 PM   #8006
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolojas View Post
Cary Gray wrote a kids book about an adventuring unicyclist named Luno. Its really cool actually; he illustrated the entire thing using only his feet. Here's a link to his page: http://www.caryoutthere.com/CaryGrayKidsBook.html
Cool thanks. I like his small video where he draws some of it at high speed. I can't even draw a vicuña with my hands like that.
Old 2018-08-16, 07:47 PM   #8007
DrD
Unicyclist

We took our tandem and my 29er on holiday this year to the Orkney islands in the far north of Scotland. One day we took the tandem on a ferry over to another island to explore it a bit.

At the end of the day, on the way back to the ferry, we stopped at a small shop for an ice cream and I rode the tandem the last hundred metres or so to the ferry slipway by myself. On getting there a guy made the observation, "You've lost your other rider!" -- I held myself back from replying, "That's different from what I normally get", as, well, he didn't know I rode a unicycle....

Tandems seem to elicit the same sort of response as unicycles insofar as people feel compelled to make a comment, which I suppose is fair enough, I find they are generally making friendly conversation about something out of the ordinary. On the way over in the morning when one of the ferrymen was tying the tandem to the rail of the boat to secure it, he said, "This makes me think of a song." (ie. 'Daisy') -- that time I just agreed and stopped myself saying "Is your name HAL?" as the 2001 reference might not have been as well known as I'd like to think
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 04:18 AM   #8008
ruari
 

From a young child yesterday as I commuted home (in English, which is unusual)

"Look mum, a unicorn cycle!"

I'm gonna guess that "unicorn" was her most commonly used word that starts with "uni-".

Kinda wished I was wearing pink, with rainbow hair and leaving behind a trail of glitter to make it more magical as I rode along on my unicorn (cycle).
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 12:59 PM   #8009
Universe
Unicyclist

Someone at the trail head said to me yesterday,

"I suppose you have heard every lame joke that there is."

Last edited by Universe; 2018-09-16 at 01:00 PM.
Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-16, 09:40 PM   #8010
UnderTheLake
I like pavement.

"Hey, is the bridge still closed up ahead?"

It was so refreshing to be asked a normal trail question without any mention of me losing my other wheel. And yes, the bridge is still closed.
UnderTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle