Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-09-06, 07:32 PM   #16
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

I got the package which includes rechargeable batteries, battery charger and also 4 lithium batteries. I can get 6hr 40min for each battery pack, and when the first pack runs out, just switch to the other for a total of more than 13 hours, which is well more than I'll need. This particular light will be mounted to my 36er. I will also have a *2nd* light that will be mounted to my helmet, and with extra batteries already charged and waiting for that one too.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-09-06 at 07:36 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 08:02 PM   #17
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Looks pretty cool! Seems a bit pricey though...
Old 2013-09-06, 08:14 PM   #18
mtnjeffe
Unicyclist

Sounds like you have it all worked out. You will like the added helmt light for the depth perception. Do you know which 24 you are going to try?
mtnjeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 08:21 PM   #19
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnjeffe View Post
Sounds like you have it all worked out. You will like the added helmt light for the depth perception. Do you know which 24 you are going to try?
Which 24? If you mean which event, it will be my own route, which I will be doing solo and unsupported. I will be happy to have people ride along on any manner of conveyance, for as long as they want to ride. I chose very specific bike-only path that will not include any riding with car traffic. This was an imperative for me. As with my previous three centuries, I will be filming while riding.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-09-06 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2013-09-07, 12:10 AM   #20
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I haven't ridden with lights in a coupe years but remember the best setup being a "beam" on my head and a "flood" on the unicycle (and a red one facing the rear for safety). If there is a sharp cutoff on the flood beam on the unicycle the moving light pattern can be quite distracting if not riding perfectly smooth.

EDIT: Terry I just looked at the light in your link. I think that would be a great head mounted light, but might create too much of a bright spot if aimed at the ground in front of you as a unicycle mounted light. I used to use a cheep flashlight with a Cree XPG LED with the focusing lens removed for a great even spread as my unicycle mounted light.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2013-09-07 at 12:21 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 12:38 AM   #21
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
I haven't ridden with lights in a coupe years but remember the best setup being a "beam" on my head and a "flood" on the unicycle (and a red one facing the rear for safety). If there is a sharp cutoff on the flood beam on the unicycle the moving light pattern can be quite distracting if not riding perfectly smooth.

EDIT: Terry I just looked at the light in your link. I think that would be a great head mounted light, but might create too much of a bright spot if aimed at the ground in front of you as a unicycle mounted light. I used to use a cheep flashlight with a Cree XPG LED with the focusing lens removed for a great even spread as my unicycle mounted light.
I was checking for a less expensive second light, and was surprised that so many people have great reviews for this, (4 out of 5 stars from 400 users) which is a super bright 1,200 lumens, but they have these up to 4,000 as well for not much more. Price is right for sure! And they come with charger, batteries and helmet strap.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-09-07 at 12:39 AM.
Old 2013-09-07, 12:51 AM   #22
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

wow, I haven't looked at lights for a while, but for that price you can't exactly go wrong. I would be tempted to buy four of them, on for the unicycle, one for your helmet, two spare batteries, and spare parts for modifying/tinkering.

I wonder what the build quality is like?

EDIT: remove the reflector and move the LED up in the housing and that should make an excellent 120˚ flood. Too bad they don't ship to Canada or I might have sniped the deal.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2013-09-07 at 01:05 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 01:00 AM   #23
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
wow, I haven't looked at lights for a while, but for that price you can't exactly go wrong. I would be tempted to buy four of them, on for the unicycle, one for your helmet, two spare batteries, and spare parts for modifying/tinkering.

I wonder what the build quality is like?
Apparently pretty nice with aircraft alum. body and nice packaging with foam cutouts for each part. I started reading the reviews and it seems too good to be true, but then again, they have all purchased it and even got it ahead of time in most cases and free shipping.

Here's and excellent review of the ebay 4,000 lumen bike light compared to much more expensive high end bike lights. Definitely overkill for what I need, but still very impressive and very low priced.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-09-07 at 01:15 AM.
Old 2013-09-07, 01:54 AM   #24
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
I have a Light and Motion. I forget the model but it was before their top lite went to LEDs. I got it for Muni, and at 600 lumens it was bright enough but not wide enough for me. Their Seca is wider but depth was a problem too w/ it on my helmet.

I've been looking at the Cygolite Expilion 680. Battery doesn't last too long but I was thinking of getting two & put at diff angles. I would keep it at medium and switch batteries to my preferred if it dies. + maybe an extra battery.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 12:10 PM   #25
monocyclism
Unicyclist

I bought my lights for use on the road only. This is the front light and the other image gives an idea of brightness that I think is a little optimistic compared to my experience.
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-11, 02:11 AM   #26
munkmunk
unicycle!

Thanks for reviving this thread. I would love to hear more if anyone has had really great experiences. It is gonna be getting dark soon and I wouldn't mind having a decent trail setup. trying to keep the price low (who isn't).

so let me get this straight: wide range for uni, narrow focus for head
I've done road riding at night on a b*ke, but that was commuting in a city, so I just had a normal cateye mount and a little helmet light
munkmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 02:29 AM   #27
authoritimmy
Unicyclist

Terry, good choice, you can't really go wrong with Fenix. They make good lights. I'm a cheap-o so I have a dealextreme flashlight that has treated me really well.

Looking at this one for serious overkill on high+no strobing modes. http://dx.com/p/singfire-sf-526-3-x-...x-18650-232703
authoritimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 12:41 PM   #28
timoteusmunk
Unicyclist

MagicShine

I have the MagicShine MJ-808U (2013) 1100 Lumen
with Improved Battery Pack.
I wanted something other than NiteRider which I paid a fortune for one 10 years ago.
However, trail riding at night is one of my favorite activities
timoteusmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 01:44 PM   #29
ubernerd
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
I was checking for a less expensive second light, and was surprised that so many people have great reviews for this, (4 out of 5 stars from 400 users) which is a super bright 1,200 lumens, but they have these up to 4,000 as well for not much more. Price is right for sure! And they come with charger, batteries and helmet strap.
I've been running one similar to this on my commuter bike for about a year now. It's not the exact model, but the ones in this genre are all pretty much the same. (I bought mine from dx.com instead of Amazon, since they weren't selling on Amazon at the time.) It's held up well to daily use throughout the winter - rain, snow, whatever. I did have an issue with the battery pack where two of the leads on the charge protection circuit wiggled into contact with each other and the light would intermitantly shut off for no apparent reason. 5 minutes of work and a small dab of hot glue fixed that issue.

Word on the street with these is that they're fine lights (generally made in the same factories as the high priced mainstream lights) but that QC is lower and some of the finer finishing touches are not there. If you're at all handy, you can solve a lot of the QC issues (see hot glue note above) and if you're buying through Amazon, you've got some better warranty backing. The batteries used in the packs are also, apparently, a bit on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I've had no problem, and for the price, you can get a replacement from somewhere like batteryspace and still be way ahead in money.

After a year with mine, (if it breaks anytime soon), I'll be going this route again instead of the $1-200 for brand name bike lights.

Last edited by ubernerd; 2013-09-11 at 01:45 PM.
ubernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 04:04 PM   #30
MuniAddict

Let there be light!

Flight of the "Fenix" night ride test!

My new Fenix BT20 is amazingly bright, even at low and mid power. Still pretty eerie riding in the dark, even though there's a flood of light in front of you. But everything behind the light is still hard to see, which makes mounting a bit awkward!

Looking down beach ramp with light off:

Name:  0.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  209.8 KB

With light on med. high. (6.5hr run time on this setting!)
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  234.3 KB

Lowest setting:
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  225.7 KB

"Turbo" (Highest)
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  246.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  187.8 KB

Name:  9.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  176.1 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2013-09-11 at 04:06 PM.

Tags
lights, night, rave