Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-01-06, 03:46 PM   #61
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

I fully sympathise with the flailing arms scenario, a very good? friend of mine likened me to a walking Orangutan, Clyde was mentioned.... its in the wrists apparently...??
Old 2017-01-07, 09:28 AM   #62
Reeny
Unicyclist

4th Dec 2016 was the significant date when I stopped doing the windmill impressions.
Previous attempts to get enough weight onto the saddle had resulted in the uni shooting out from under me like a hyperactive terrier which has seen a rabbit.

It all came together on the 4th, helped by a sticky trials tyre which tracks in a straight line, meaning I had less spin out to correct while pedaling.
With this hobby it is small gains, one at time.

Last edited by Reeny; 2017-01-07 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Reeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 10:17 AM   #63
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Woohooooo!! How long did it take you to get to that point?

I'm flailing for two or three revolutions if I'm lucky, and that's not riding...
Old 2017-01-07, 11:08 AM   #64
Reeny
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRosie View Post
Woohooooo!! How long did it take you to get to that point?
Too long,
I started to practice to regain my fitness after ill health, so I would take 1 or 2-months off if I didn't feel well enough.
There are more active members on here who can practice more often, and they have made good progress on to the next stage in a few days, where it would be taking me a few months.
Catsmeat and Engineer-on-a-unicycle are two members who stand out as being quick learners.

In practice hours (5-10 hours per month in 30-minute days) it must have taken me around;
10-hours to pedal a few revolutions (at 1/2 a turn progress per 30-minute practice day)
40-hours to master the 15m long practice alley I use at the side of the house.
100-hours to overcome the fear of the disappearing uni when I try to sit down in the saddle.

At your rate you will have it cracked in a month or two, and be fully competent within 6-months.
Reeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 11:28 AM   #65
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Thanks for responding. I really hope so
Old 2017-01-07, 12:31 PM   #66
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Out there now, hitting it hard.

After about 15 mins I got back in the swing of it, and got my best run of about 7 revs.

Felt like I was flying. On that run before I set off I felt like I was sitting in the saddle funny...I was obviously sitting in the saddle correctly for the first time. Try as I might, I can't emulate it - typical.
Old 2017-01-07, 12:37 PM   #67
Cousin Itt
Unicyclist

Everyone learns in their own amount of time. I wasn't a fast learner. It just takes as long as it takes. As long as you don't give up, you will get it.
Old 2017-01-07, 02:01 PM   #68
UniRosie
Unicyclist

I have no intention of giving up at all. I think being out in public today rather than a back yard helped, I had a nice taxi driver tell me to keep at it and a two wheeler tell me it's easier on 2 but that I'd get it felt surprisingly nice to not get the abuse I expected.

I did hurt my leg by getting too close to a kerb and panicking - think I stepped off with the wrong foot...and the whole uni seemed to ride over the other leg... I won't do that again now though (if I can help it)
Old 2017-01-07, 04:52 PM   #69
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRosie View Post
I'm flailing for two or three revolutions if I'm lucky, and that's not riding...
Flailing is natural for beginners. Don't think of it as bad technique. It's just necessary. You don't yet have all the tools to pedal/steer the unicycle under you, so you are compensating with your flailing arms. As a beginner, sometimes I strained muscles in my rib cage from all the flailing.

Similarly, some beginners seem to obsess about the keeping their weight in the seat. Beware, a beginner who is "floating on the pedals" may be on their way to a bad upd. I think it's more natural as a beginner to err on the side of "too much weight on the pedals." Later on, we learn to settle into the seat.

Just a half-baked theory, but I think there may exist the notion, amongst some beginners, that emulating the riding style of more experienced unicyclists is the best way to learn. I think we need to start in the crazy-flailing stage; we can only move incrementally towards "better" technique. You might be better-off watching videos of 7y.o. beginners that of experts. They're the ones demonstrating the technique you need as a beginner.

One more bit of specific device (which may or may not apply to you): If your sense of progress is contingent on crossing a distance threshold (3 revolutions, for example), then there's a danger of rushing toward that threshold, of pedaling too fast. Slowing down your pedaling, even a tiny bit, might put you more in control. As a beginner, my launching point was against a fence in a parking area. I launched into very slight downhill. This may have made things more difficult, because I frequently started pedaling too fast. If you can launch into a slight uphill, that might give you enough resistance to slow your pedaling.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 05:26 PM   #70
UniRosie
Unicyclist

The practice area I found is actually a slight hill, I was going down it today which was helping to get me moving, and there were a few moments of "that feeling" where things seemed to click.

I haven't really been setting too many goals yet, more like trying to match my best, then get a bit better.

I like your advice though, do you think that I'd be better going uphill or carrying on downhill to get going?
Old 2017-01-07, 06:16 PM   #71
Regina Wrecks

For my money, I began re-learning again on relatively flat concrete last year, but soon noticed after the basic learning again, that the the ground sloped up a tad just around the corner. It certainly slowed me down some and I frequently came off. I have since conquered this by sheer perseverance and learning how to control speed of pedaling unconsciously.... this comes with practice in my humble opinion...
Old 2017-01-07, 06:34 PM   #72
UniRosie
Unicyclist

So do you think that learning upHill at the beginning would be worth doing or better to get the balance and feel on flatland and then face this as a new challenge?

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts even if they're different to my own
Old 2017-01-07, 06:43 PM   #73
chainreactionphysics
Unicyclist

Learning slightly uphill worked for me. It slowed stuff down. Having a slightly lower tyre pressure also had the same effect - but not so low it caused the unicycle to stall. I always went back to a flat bit of ground after warming up on a slight uphill.
chainreactionphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 06:50 PM   #74
UniRosie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainreactionphysics View Post
Learning slightly uphill worked for me.
I might give that a go tomorrow then, start off going uphill just to warm up and then try going across ways so I'm not going up or down, then maybe end going downwards so I can end on some good runs
Old 2017-01-07, 10:16 PM   #75
Regina Wrecks

It's right to maybe start on an upward bit then ease off onto the flat, but I find, and I still do, that downhill gets a bit beyond me sometimes, especially if it is a long distance. A slight downhill gradient is better to learn the free mount though as I am slowly finding out...!!

Tags
learning